Well, it's good to be back after a week away and we finally got some decent rain although it could have waited for a week other than the one where I was camping with the kids. It has certainly given everything a bit of a lift. I've come back to find that the marsh harrier nest in front of the Avalon Hide had still not fledged. Until today we think! There has been a lot of activity there this week with both male and female birds bringing in food items and dropping them in. On occasions a juvenile had been seen jumping up but only ever one during surveys. 

We're pleased to say that we now have 2 juveniles out and about from the nest. Thanks to John Crispin for all his extra efforts with the nest monitoring  and for these fantastic photos as always:

The 2 birds show distinctive plumage differences. This one above has an all brown wing. Note the very coppery coloured head of the youngster.

This one below has patches of white towards the forewing:

...and here's the 2 together:

The parents are still bringing in food to them as the nest photo shows. It's quite a late nest as the other one we had fledged 3 youngsters 7 weeks ago. It's quite possible that this nest failed and then started again given the data we had from our surveys. Other sightings of marsh harriers throughout the week from both platforms and Tor View Hide. 

Other birds of prey on show this week include: 2 barn owls seen on at least 2 occasions from the box opposite the first platform (VP1) - best viewed from further down the track - perhaps on the way to the Avalon Hide where you have a better angle of view. Plus another barn owl spotted from the 2nd platform (VP2) on Sunday morning. Kestrel sen at least twice including one juvenile (perhaps one of those from the box on Shapwick Heath, buzzards seen daily (pictured) and sparrowhawk recorded at least 3 times.

Buzzard: Graham Wagner

Look out also for late Hobbies. Quite a few sightings this week. Try the Avalon Hide where several records have been made including 2 on Tuesday. Two also from the Tor View Hide the same day but also visitors have seen them from both VP1 and VP2 also. 

Still plenty of dragonflies for them to eat. Migrant hawkers are now out in force - the last of our emerging hawkers for the season. Also look out for black tailed skimmers, common darter and ruddy darter along with both brown and southern hawkers both pictured below. Thanks to John Crispin & Graham Wagner for their photos:

Brown Hawker: John Crispin 

Southern Hawkers mating: Graham Wagner 

There are also plenty of damselflies to keep you amused as well. Many thanks to Ian Burnett who has sent in a lovely selection of damselfly photos for me to show you:

Blue tailed damselflies including a mating pair: Ian Burnett 

Common blue damselfly (mating pair): Ian Burnett 

Small Red eyed damselfly: Ian Burnett  

If that's not your thing then how about butterflies. Still plenty on display including: speckled wood, peacock, red admiral, green veined white, large white, painted lady and common blue(pictured). Thanks again to Ian Burnett for his shot:

Also this Jersey Tiger moth photographed by John Crispin last week while I was away - thanks John:

There's plenty of other insect life out there when you really look - so much to learn. I've asked Ali the warden to look at these shots of grasshoppers (I knew they we're grasshoppers rather than crickets because of the shorter antenna - so I got that far). She thinks it is most likely field cricket. The hairy looking chest is one of the clues that suggest this. We're happy to be told otherwise though if we are wrong. Thanks one last time to Ian Bennett for his photos - lovely to have some variation to show what's hiding out in the Ham Wall undergrowth:

The many flying insects on Ham Wall is one reason why the martins and swallows stop off here and fuel up before the long journey back to Africa. Many groups of hirundines have been using Ham Wall as a feeding station this week with 20+ swallows over the car park on weds but also house martins and even a few swift. 

August is traditionally quiet on most nature reserves as we wait for the movement of waders in particular. You can still get a small selection though. This week green sandpiper and 8 snipe were seen from the Avalon Hide on Tuesday, whilst the sam day a few lapwing and a couple of black tailed godwits were lurking in front of VP2. As many as 70 lapwing have been counted here this week however. 

You can still enjoy a few warblers too. A willow warbler was heard singing last week on the reserve and a couple have been spotted this week. Blackcaps and chiffchaff have both been seen in then car park and along the main path. We're getting used to seeing these short passage migrants for longer periods and some over wintering now too. A lesser whitethroat was again seen from the old rail bridge looking north. It was in the large willow near the small drain which runs away from you. 

In the reed beds cettis warblers will be with us all winter while many reed warblers and an few sedge warblers are still around too. 

Bittern sightings have been harder to come by lately but some people are getting luck. Yesterday birds were spotted in both Waltons and Loxtons whilst throughout the week sightings at VP1 and the Avalon Hide but no real hotspots to speak of. VP1 may well be quiet at times as I'm now cutting the islands in here with the machine. I will probably be in there for much of next week before I'm off for a second week's holiday (apologies in advance) - you should then have a nice unbroken run before I have any more time off (I should think so too I hear you cry). 

Volunteers have also cleared in front of the Tor View Hide and the screens to open up the views and will aim to clear it up next week. The open edges are great for sightings of water rails and close up views of snipe and loafing ducks come winter. In fact water rails have been seen here this week on Wednesday and also from the Avalon Hide the same day.

Great white egrets, as always, seem to be everywhere. Maybe not that surprising given that 25 youngsters have fledged in the Avalon Marshes this year including 16 from Ham Wall. The best place is perhaps the VP2 area at the moment for multiple birds (including little egrets too).  11 were seen here one day last week and John Crispin manged to get this great shot of 5 together (feeding frenzy?). Thanks John - great shot:

Also some individuals having supper:

Another of our fish eating favourites has been seen several times too. Kingfishers are present at Waltons on most days. One perched on the posts out in the channel on the west side of Waltons yesterday and was the joined by a second bird. They have also been spotted from the old rail bridge (thanks to Graham Wagner for his photos below) and in the car park pools on Saturday where Iberian water frogs have been croaking all week.

Also in the car park pools on Saturday was an otter believe it or not. It came from a very reliable source. There was another on Monday from the Avalon Hide - a visitor even showed me a photo. Also a record last week of an adult with a youngster and a further record on our sightings board in the car park of another individual but no location given. Lovely though to have so much activity. 

Also this week: 5 ravens flying over together on Monday, bullfinch, goldfinch and treecreeper all seen along the main path this week, 4 cattle egrets from VP2 on Wednesday, stock dove from VP1 yesterday, bearded tits heard from the Avalon Hide on a couple of occasions and up to 3 linnets close to the Avalon Hide on the stretch of gorse to the right of the hide - thanks to John Crispin for his photos:

Another cute photo to end with. Thanks to Graham Wagner for his young roe deer shot taken from the old rail bridge this week:

Well that's it for this week but if you are looking for something a little bit different to do do while you visit or you're a budding artist then why not try our Walk and Sketch Event with local artists. Details below:

Walk and Sketch at RSPB Ham Wall

Join local artists Jackie Curtis and Becky Hughes for a walk and sketch through RSPB Ham Wall. Learn how to capture the drama and spirit of this evocative landscape and the wildlife that makes it home here. All materials will be provided. We recommend bringing a folding camping chair so you can sit and sketch in comfort as well as a camera and binoculars if you have them. 

Suitable for ages 15+ (under 18's must be accompanied by an adult)

Ticket Prices

Adult RSPB member £10

Adult non-member £12

Booking essential. Please book early to avoid disappointment.

All bookings, event information and times are available online through Eventbrite: 
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/walk-and-sketch-at-rspb-ham-wall-tickets-47586521567
(Please note: booking charges apply)

Have a great weekend!