It's time for another Ham Wall blog. Having been away last week it seems this week I have been overwhelmed with submissions of photos from 8 different contributors so it will be photo heavy this week and a lot less of me rabbiting on........you can all stop cheering now and enjoy the amazing shots people have sent in. Thanks to everyone who has - I will of course credit you as we go along. 

So, where to start? It can be an interesting time of year, with the summer migrants still passing through or hanging around added to the first arrivals of autumn/winter visitors and the movement of birds internally in the country as birds such as waders move around. We're still seeing small groups of house martins and swallows (pictured) each day on the reserve and during warm days it almost feels like summer isn't quite ready to leave, although the flip side is when it rains it's starting to feel like autumn. 

Swallow: John Crispin 

Thanks to Robin Morrision for his rainy day pictures taken last week:

Marsh Harrier: Robin Morrison 

Great weather for ducks. Mallards in the rain: Robin Morrison 

Great Wet (White) Egret: Robin Morrison 

Heavy Rain at Ham wall : Robin Morrison 

Great white egrets are now a common sight on the Avalon Marshes and it's hard not to spot one now on a visit.

Here's one that was actually on Shapwick Heath but it's one which was ringed in France. Thanks to Pete Manley for his photo:

Ian Rice visited us recently too and sent me in some of his shots from his day out. Here's a selection of what he's sent in. Thanks very much Ian - much appreciated:

and little egrets too........

Lovely shots - thanks again Ian. These egrets seem to be thriving here and looking at the photos there appears to be plenty to eat. Here's another one from Robin Morrison - this time with a toad. Although Robin doesn't think it enjoyed it very much as it soon dropped it and spent the next portion of time cleaning its bill. Thanks Robin:

Grey herons too appear to be abundant often mixing directly with the egrets as you can see from Andy Collins' picture. Thanks Andy:

Although they look like they're not talking at the moment - an argument over fish perhaps. 

Thanks also to Andrew Kirby for his shot of a grey heron devouring yet another fish:

Fish is obviously a firm favourite and of course frogs and perhaps the odd unpalatable toad like above but moles? I always thought these would be unpalatable but this grey heron thought otherwise. Thanks to Graham Wagner for his fascinating photos taken from the Tor View Hide last Friday:

...and a couple more heron shots to follow.

This one with some unwanted luggage taken by John Crispin:

..and this one looking for directions to the Avalon Hide from Pete Manley (thanks to both John & Pete for their shots):

I do hope they leave some fish for our other fish eating residents. Kingfishers are being seen regularly of late from both the Avalon Hide and Tor View Hide. Thanks once again to Graham Wagner for his lovely photos of Kingfishers taken from the Tor View Hide last week - lovely reflections:

Also to Andrew Kirby for his shots of Kingfisher and an imposter (moorhen) using the stick we put in outside the Tor View Hide for a fishing perch:

The moorhen not looking quite so graceful and comfortable there.

The Tor View Hide has been a good place to spot otters lately. We had a few sightings in recent weeks and there was one from here last Friday and this morning too. There was also a sighting yesterday from the main path close to the bridge yesterday. Thanks to Graham Wagner for his shot taken last week:

Other fish lovers you could spot include bitterns of course. It's always worth scanning the edges of reedbeds from the viewing platforms - you never know what might be hiding out there as John Crispin's photo shows:

and also this one taken from the first platform last week. I flushed a couple whilst out working with my reed cutting machine this week so they are definitely out there:

The second platform can be a good place to spot great white egrets but also look out for a growing number of duck including new arrivals. There are definitely a few teal on site but this morning saw the first of our wigeon arrive with 3 from the platform seen by John Crispin. Look out also for shoveler, pochard, mallard and gadwall (pictured):

It's a good place to look for waders too. Green sandpiper spotted this morning and through the week c25 lapwing, 6 snipe and 9 black tailed godwits.

Snipe for Tor View Hide: Graham Wagner 

Black Tailed Godwits: John Crispin  

Away from birds for a minute there are plenty of insects to enjoy still. Butterflies are present on warm days with plenty of small tortoiseshell, green veined white and speckled wood amongst others while you can still spot migrant hawker dragonflies along with brown hawker, common darter and ruddy darter. If you look more closely you'll be amazed at the abundance of insect life around. Thanks to Pete Manley for his example:

There's still a good chance of seeing reptiles and amphibians too. Last week in the ponds around the car park some grass snakes were very obliging - thrilling several visitors. Thanks to volunteers Sharon White and Andy Collins for there grass snake photos and for Graham Wagner's shot of a smooth newt seen on the main track:

Grass snakes : Sharon White

Grass snake: Andy Collins 

Smooth newt: Graham Wagner 

Well I did warn you there were lots of photos - and we're not finished yet.

Also seen over the last couple of weeks include sparrowhawk seen from the Avalon Hide, Tor View Hide and the car park this week - thanks to Graham Wagner for his submission:

Water rails seen frequently from the Tor View Hide - I hinted this might happen once we cut and cleared in front of the hide. Worth approaching the hide quietly and waiting  a while:

Water Rail: Graham Wagner 

Little grebes and great crested grebes spotted around the reserve - Waltons a good place to try for both I would suggest:

Little Grebes: Andy Collins 

Little grebe on the move: Graham Wagner 

Great Crested Grebes in flight (possibly youngsters): John Crispin 

Other things to look out for include singing willow warbler and chiffchaff close to second viewing platform, blackcaps in the car park, jays (with 3 being see together on Wednesday, an osprey which has been still present at Shapwick Heath this week, sedge warbler and reed warbler from Tor View Hide and bearded tits - being seen and heard on occasions from the second platform. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot:

Look out also for daily sightings great spotted woodpeckers, buzzards, flocks of goldfinches & long tailed tits and marsh harriers. Young birds may still be hanging around in the Avalon Hide area since they fledged but will become more mobile and wander further as they become more detached from the parent birds. Here'e a female coming in to land taken this week by John Crispin. Thanks John:

That had better be it for this week. A bit of a photo overload but when they are this good I'm sure you won't mind. Have a great weekend.