Another warm week on the reserve - it's great in some ways as it's helping us access areas to cut and clear more easily and certainly easier to burn off any of the cut material that we need to. On the downside we area bit short of water in other places where we would like it. It's taking us a bit of time to move water around the site. We'd eventually like to get some water into the section in front of the 1st viewing platform (VP1) to get this nice and splashy for ducks, waders & egrets etc but it's not happening yet. There's some rain coming tomorrow though by the looks of things so this will help a bit. In front of the 2nd platform (VP2) we are bringing water down a bit and some mud is appearing here and there which is attracting a few waders etc.

Black tailed godwits have been seen here on a few occasions along with groups of snipe. A knot was recorded on one day for the third week running (this time on Sunday) and lapwing are a regular feature with around 30 being seen on most days (seen over towards the Avalon Hide too at times). Thanks to Graham Wagner for his shot of Lapwing taken on the reserve this week:

They are moving around a bit - 15 even flew over the car park on Sunday so be prepared to bird watch as soon as you arrive!

Both platforms can be good places to spot great white egrets although it's usually just the one at VP1 while VP2 quite frequently will have 3 or 4 fishing away. This individual was photographed by Pete Manly with its catch this week - thanks Pete:

There's always a chance of seeing that elusive bittern here too but as always you'll need that element of luck. Sightings have been recorded in several places on the reserve this week: both platforms, Loxtons, Waltons (and the Tor View Hide) and the Avalon Hide. Where it's open at VP1 just scan the edges as I often advise. You never know - you may see a bittern against the edges of the reeds. One was seen walking about there in the open this morning so you never know. Cattle Egrets are in evidence locally but seem to be giving Ham Wall a bit of a miss at present but keep looking. Catcott Lows and Canada Farm to roost are the main places I'm hearing about with over 100 birds being reported. A glossy ibis is also being seen in the local area - hopefully if we wet things up a bit it might find us desirable. 

VP2 often offers large groups of greylag geese if you are in early enough. They seem to use this area to roost in and take off at around 7.15 -7.30am.  You may get a shot like this one from Graham Wagner of them taking off against a lovely sunrise. Thanks Graham!

Marsh Harrier have also been making themselves quite obvious in this area too - I saw one there this morning but as many as 3 were seen together by volunteer John Crispin on Wednesday - a wonderful sight he said!  Other birds of prey are spotted quite regularly too. Sparrowhawks have been seen on several days this week - on at least 3 occasions from VP1 with one quartering the reeds close to the platform on Wednesday. A kestrel was spotted from the Avalon Hide on Sunday last, along with a hobby. Barn Owls were seen out briefly by the owl box in the wood to the left of the Avalon Hide (in front of VP1) one day this week and tawny owls can often be heard in the darker hours. No red kite reports for a while - sightings often tend to come in clusters and seemed to be becoming more frequent but not heard much in a while. Buzzards, however are a daily fixture and this one on the way to the Avalon Hide was very obliging as it sat on a gate post - thanks to Graham Wagner for sending in his shot!#

VP1 despite still having low water levels turns up a few good things. It's become a god place to see kingfisher. On Wednesday one caught a fish with each dive and returned to the post and rails in the water each time. Other sightings this week from around Waltons & the Tor View Hide, the Avalon Hide and yesterday from the old rail bridge on the main path  - one flew up the drainage channel there.

VP1 also brought us a pair of Mandarin ducks on Wednesday. A few people got to see them amongst the mallards - I wasn't one of them, but John Crispin was. The male looks to be in eclipse so not as colourful as normal but nice to see. Thanks for the photo John! 

A few bearded tits have also been seen and heard here this week so listen out for their call if you know it. If you don't then it's one to learn to help you track them down. Sightings also from VP2 and the Avalon Hide this week where 4 were seen on Sunday.

The Tor View Hide is a good place to sit and wait a while too. Yet another otter sighting from here on Monday - one was seen although far too briefly by a visitor. Water rails can often be heard calling here and on occasions can be seen out in the open. Great crested grebe and little grebe also both seen here with up to 7 little grebes (or dabchicks) spotted together on Monday.

The mild weather seems to be keeping the numbers of dragonflies about quite high. Really good numbers of migrant hawker still about along with both ruddy and common darter. Thanks to John Crispin who snapped this female common darter taking a rest on his camera bag on Wednesday. A good ID feature that sets it apart from the ruddy darter is the white stripe along the legs. Thanks John:

In terms of butterflies look out for: Brimstone, small white, green veined white, common blue, speckled wood, small tortoiseshell, red admiral and peacock. Also this small copper photographed by John Crispin this week - with photos of both the upper and under wing - thanks John!

I'm fairly certain I saw on of these at the car park this week along with common blue and a couple of the others. A short walk round the car park can often bring extra treats. In previous weeks grass snakes have been seen in the ponds there (one was seen swimming in Waltons on Tuesday) but at the moment with the sun shining the Iberian water frogs are quite evident. They are croaking quite loudly during the sunny spells and often sit sunning themselves on the open edges or on the surface of the water. Thanks to Graham Wagner for his shot taken during the week:

The car park has also been home to goldcrest, groups of goldfinch and a pretty tame robin this week who paid our picnic table a visit during lunch with the volunteer group on Wednesday. Following out of the car park and down the main path look out for mixed flocks of birds - you never know what's hiding in the group and check the tree lines too. Chiffchaff have been bursting into song from time to time - perhaps it's the mild weather and Jays have been harvesting the early acorns - starting their winter cache already - if only I was this organised. Taking a close look at these birds, sometimes if often hard to believe they are members of the corvid family.  Thanks to John Crispin once again for his photo:

Also look out for treecreeper. A couple reported along the main path this week. This "tree mouse", can be seen working the trunks of trees looking for insects and spiders eggs. They usually move up the tree to the top then fly to the base of the next tree and repeat the procedure - it's quite distinctive behaviour. It's one of my favourite little birds. Well done to John Crispin for capturing this shot on Wednesday this week:

I think that had better do for this week. I hope you enjoy the blog and if you don't know we are also producing a monthly Vlog at the moment. It's a short video of staff talking about various goings on at the reserve. You can watch the October episode here: http://bit.ly/2y5RIO0

Hope you enjoy it and have a great weekend. Thanks for reading!