Bit of a mixed bag weather wise since the last blog. Some lovely sunny days but some torrential downpours too. It's left some of the reserve a bit damp in a few places to say the least but most of the reserve is still accessible with some decent footwear. 

The path to the Tor View Hide has a few puddles - here we are reliant on the main drains dropping a bit in height so that water can exit through gravity. The surrounding trail of Waltons will undoubtedly be wet in a couple of places - perhaps wellies a good idea if you are looking for the Four Spotted Chaser roost. There are many dragonflies all over the reserve but the south east corner of Waltons, I'm told, has the greatest concentration. 

The path to the Avalon Hide has been free of water until late yesterday or this morning. We had to turn off our pumps as the main drains were covering our outlet pipe. The water has the backed up a bit and is just beginning to for puddles on this path. The good news is the external drains have dropped sufficiently for the pumps to kick back on tonight and this should solve this little problem. 

So, onto the sightings for the week. I did spend a little time out today on the reserve checking pumps and drains etc. Lots of happy visitors out on the reserve who had seen a Bittern or a Hobby to brighten their day. A Bittern had passed by the first viewing platform (VP1) for one couple this morning and I had a great view of one from the same location on Tuesday. Still some views of more than one bird together - chasing each other, with 3 seen together on Sunday just gone. 

Hobby are being seen but not in great numbers - don't confuse them with the similarly shaped Swift, which have been seen in great numbers this week. Some Hobby seen over the car park during the week and again this morning. Again VP1 has been good - had one there myself this during this morning's wander. Sandie Andrews managed this shot during the week:

Dragonflies beware! As I've already mentioned, dragonflies are out in force - particularly the Four Spotted Chasers, where there are clouds of them in some areas:

Above 3 photos: Penny Broomhall

Photo: Alison Morgan

Four Spot ovipositing: Sandie Andrews

Scarce Chasers can also be seen (perhaps now not so scarce):

Photos: Alison Morgan 

Scarce Chaser male: Chris Cardno

Scarce Chaser female: Chris Cardno

Scarce Chaser female: Bryn Evans

Other species can also be seen. Emperors began to emerge last week but this week saw the fist of the Black Tailed Skimmers seen like these females below from Chris Cardno:

Another female below from Sandie Andrews:

A few other dragonfly species will yet emerge or indeed migrate or perhaps overshoot (vagrant). Our earliest dragonfly to emerge can still be seen though but will soon disappear - the Hairy Dragonfly. This mating pair seen by Alison Morgan at Loxtons are ensuring the next generation have a home at Ham Wall:

Several species of damselfly can be seen too including: Blue Tailed, Azure, Common Blue, Variable and Red Eyed - these can be seen from the road bridge or the old rail bridge as you enter Ham Wall along with Banded Demoiselle.

All these are good fodder for a number of birds (not just the Hobby). This Great Spotted Woodpecker was seen with what look like a dragonfly or two this week:

They have been seen feeding these to their young in the past. There has definitely been a nest in the wood on the way to the Avalon Hide as I could here lots of calling from what I assumed to be juvenile woodpeckers at a couple of different locations on Tuesday and Wednesday - they were  a bit quieter this morning. 

I did however stand at one point and count six different warblers in my immediate vicinity: Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Cettis Warbler, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Blackcap. On the way back towards the bridge to the main path a Garden Warbler was going great guns too - but hard to pick out. It eventually flew to reassure me I had heard correctly and that it wasn't a Blackcap - their songs are similar. Blackcap below seen by John Crispin this week:

Another warbler the Whitethroat has become a much harder bird to track down. There is still a bird visible from VP1 as last week but it is often in the reeds by the Sand Martin bank and not altogether easy. 

The car park can be a good place to start your bird list rather than just head straight off to the reserve - the feeders can yield Blue Tits and Great Tits (nesting in one of the boxes we think), Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker and occasional Coal Tit or Greenfinch. 

Green Woodpecker has been heard calling on few occasions too as well as a Redshank calling quite frequently on Tuesday over near the factory to our south east of the car park - not seen at VP1 this week I don't think. 

Plenty of other insects to look out for too with Holly Blue, Red Admiral, Brimstone, Green Veined White and Speckled Wood all spotted over the last couple of days here. The Foxgloves by our toilets are a firm favourite with bumblebees as Sandie Andrews shots show. First White Tailed Bumblebe and then possibly a Common Carder (not sure):

As you head to the reserve stop a while at the old rail bridge and take a look on the stone gabions to see if you can spot Common Lizard or Grass Snake. At least 2 lizard and 3 Grass Snakes this morning basking. It's been good all week (during sunny spells) and I've seen 3 snakes swimming here this week too. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shot taken within the last couple of days:

I was lucky enough to spot a female Adder this morning just over on Shapwick Heath - any sightings anyone has would be gratefully received with date, location and sex - photos even better. We are surveying these small, fragile populations and looking to see how we can help them thrive in a challenging landscape. Sorry for the poor quality of my shot - she was on the move:

VP1 as mentioned a good place for Bitterns and Marsh Harrier too. Several Marsh Harrier territories spread over the reserve, so you've always a good chance of a sighting. One was seen once again being harassed by a Lapwing this week - a good sign they are nesting nearby - lets hope they keep up the fight and are successful. 

This male Marsh Harrier photographed by John Crispin this week:

Probably one of the best places to spot Great White Egret too. Numbers continue to climb. There have been over 70 nesting attempts in the Avalon Marshes this season. Not all have been, or will be, successful. Weather conditions have been pretty tough at times. Four different birds were moving around in front of VP1 this morning. 

Over in Waltons, the relations of the egrets, Grey Herons are still nesting but chicks are well grown in most cases. This one was seen begging for food in the reedbeds (where they nest) this week:

Other young birds are also being spotted in the vicinity including Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebes and Moorhen. 

The Mute Swans often cross the path to the Tor View Hide with their seven cygnets before swimming off into the open water. Penny Broomhall saw them last week:

Cropped in by Penny for a close up of those adorable youngsters:

another from Sandie Andrews taken this week:

Great Crested Grebes are busy still feeding young in front of the Tor View Hide (also another pair nesting in front of the third of the Waltons screens). They are good fisherman but sometimes the catch is just too big to manage:

A selection of other shots from John Crispin now of adults and youngsters. Despite feeding these young they have also been seen courting once more - perhaps getting ready for a second brood:

The small brood of Moorhens are also still present here:

Now for another forage through the vegetation with Bryn Evan, who has once again sent in a weird and wonderful collection of insects from the reserve. Some of the names are just fantastic and there's always a great nugget of information that Bryn has researched too:

Red-headed Cardinal Beetle: Bryn Evans

Common Batman Fly: Bryn Evans

Bag Worm moth larvae: Bryn Evans

These encase themselves in plant fragments. It reminds me of Caddis Fly larvae which do something similar underwater using all kinds of debris.

Wasp Beetle: Bryn Evans

Iris Weevil: Bryn Evans

The only member of this genus to be found in the UK, specific to Iris. It lays its eggs into a hole it bores into the developing seed pods.

Bramble Sawfly: Bryn Evans

Ornate Brigadier Soldier Fly: Bryn Evans

Scorpion Fly: Bryn Evans

Parsley Blacklet: Bryn Evans

Drinker Moth caterpillar: Bryn Evans

Mining Bee: Bryn Evans

Furrow Orbweaver: Bryn Evans

Yellow Dung fly: Bryn Evans

This appears to be infected by Entomopthora muscae fungus. It was clinging to the underside of the nettle leaf (not the typical resting position) - with its wings outstretched. The white erupting from the abdomen is the fungal fruiting bodies. 

Thanks Bryn - fascinating as ever and just amazing to think how much we miss when our eyes are up looking for birds. 

Also this week: Quite a lot of Jay action including at the car park, a juvenile hiding in the vegetation on the edge of the main drain and a rally of alarm calls around Waltons alerted us to the Jays presence on Wednesday. Cuckoos heard throughout the week with at least 2 males as one has an impediment to its call, Weasel seen on the main track near VP1, Roe Deer in fields to the north of the reserve, Tawny Owl spotted at the owl box looking back to the woods from the Avalon Hide, Turtle Dove seen from VP1 on Sunday, Pink Footed Goose seen from Tor View Hide on Bank Holiday and a Purple Heron flying over the reserve, up to 17 Greylags using the area in front of VP2 to roost at night and occasional Crane sightings over the last few days - Avalon Hide.

Right, I have to leave it there as I'm well over my time. I do have a home to go to.

Thanks as always to the amazing contributions of photos and info: John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Bryn Evans, Mike Pearce, Alison Morgan, Chris Cardno and Penny Broomhall. 

Thanks for reading - hope you enjoyed it and have a fantastic weekend!