I know I've said it before but this will be a shorter blog than normal. I wasn't going to write one at all as I am off for the Easter break but I have some good news to share. 

We have managed to get the Avalon Hide back open for the first time after what must be over 3 months. Thanks to all the volunteers, who worked so hard in difficult conditions over the last coupe of days. We've manged to clear all the muck and silt off the path, dealt with some dodgy looking trees and got some stone down in a few places too. 

We have also given the hide a damn good scrubbing to get as much of the "owl muck" as possible off of - well pretty much everything, and given the windows a clean too. It's all ready to go - and now the heavy rains come again. There are some puddles on the path but we are hoping it will hold out and stay open - it's pretty firm underneath. It's pouring again as I write this so I'm trying to stay optimistic. 

It's been pretty good on the wildlife front too. You will have noticed water has dropped significantly in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) and many birds are enjoying the muddy islands that are finally reappearing. Several waders are popping in to take a look. 3 or 4 Redshank have been seen daily along with a Spotted Redshank for a few days. Last weekend however saw around 40 Redshank using the front island. John Crispin and Bryn Evans both managed shots:

Other waders seen here this week include a Green Sandpiper, a single Black Tailed Godwit and a few displaying Lapwing. 

Black Headed Gulls are also present - there was a breeding attempt here from a small colony. Hope for better luck for them this year. 

Garganey are still visible here too and the max count here is now 5 (4 males and 1 female). John Crispin again on hand with a photo of each:

Perhaps the stars of the week were the Glossy Ibis once again. Seen on most days out in front of VP1 - mornings seem to be their preferred times. Thanks to Penny Broomhall, who responded after I said I had no pics of them last week. Here's her photos from last week followed by another couple from John Crispin taken this week. Note the breeding colours of one of the birds and the non breeding colours of the other three - these are probably younger birds:

Glossy Ibis: Penny Broomhall

The others stars are the Cranes. Being seen fairly regularly, usually towards the north of the reserve. With the Avalon Hide accessible there's a chance of more sightings.  Listen out too as they have been heard bugling (including this morning). Tina Hale took this shot on Tuesday and kindly sent them to me. If you zoom in you will notice one bird has rings. 

This bird is called Meg and was ringed at a nest in 2021. There's a possibility that she will breed this year but she is still considered to be a bit young - but you never know. We will be trying to keep any disturbance at this end of the reserve to a minimum as to not dissuade them from a breeding attempt, if not this year, then in future years. 

VP1 has, as always, been a good place to see Great White Egrets. Now that water levels are a bit lower fishing has been made a little easier. Here's one enjoying a small pike for lunch:

It's smaller cousin the Little Egret can also be spotted but in far smaller numbers. This one is showing its fine breeding plumes:

Other cousins include the Cattle Egrets - often seen flying over the reserve in small groups. On Wednesday 18 flew over in front of VP1 from East to West and a little later another 6 flew south over Waltons. In Waltons itslef look out for the Grey Herons nesting within the reedbeds - plenty of activity and noise from these birds will give them away:

Grey Herons nest seen from Tor View Hide: Mike Uren

Marsh Harriers are another star of the reserve - plenty of action from them at the Avalon Hide yesterday both in front to the north and behind to the south west. They were disturbing a few of the duck that were present up there including Pochard, Gadwall, Mallard and Teal. Little Grebe and Great Crested Grebe, which were head bobbing together. 

These Gadwall were snapped by Bryn Evans over at Waltons on Saturday:

Shoveler and a single Pintail male (VP1) have also been recorded this week. 

Also from VP1 this week were these Egyptian Geese making them selves quite obvious by perching on the artificial Sand Martin bank: 

Sand Martins have been seen. The largest group was of about 300 on Wednesday that flew very low past the Avalon Hide during a hail storm - got to feel for them arriving here in those conditions. 

A few Swallows have also been reported, although I'm yet to see one myself.

There are a few insects around - I guess any rain will keep these birds lower in the hunt for food and perhaps a closer view for visitors. 

Butterflies have been seen during sunny spells: Comma, Brimstone, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell all seen. 

Bumblebees are out and about too taking nectar from early flowering plants like dead nettle. This one was photographed by Bryn Evans on Saturday (23rd) - Buff tailed Bumblebee we believe:

This Tapered Drone Fly was also seen by Bryn: 

As is Bryn's way he has also researched this following picture. It's a Phaonia genus of fly, most likely to be Rufivetris species. According to literature the 3 projections on the middle tibia is one of the identifying features - thanks Bryn:

Other arrivals this week include a Sedge Warbler - it's on our sightings board for the Waltons area  but that's all the information I have on it. 

Blackcaps and Chiffchaff have both been heard singing, although many of these now tend to overwinter in the UK anyway. Bird song is generally on the increase - no surprise there and Bitterns are booming well - some pretty consistently throughout the day. 

Redpoll and Siskin are still being seen, including right by the visitor buildings in the car park last Saturday. These were taken between the two platforms by Bryn Evans the same day:

Also this week: Red Kite over car park on Tuesday, Sparrowhawk from VOP1 the same day, drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker in woods behind Avalon Hide yesterday and lots of noise from Kingfisher too - perhaps nesting in the root plate of an upturned tree - no suitable banks I can think of, Roe Deer seen at Loxtons on the trail, Grass Snakes seen frequently, Buzzards spotted daily, Ravens seen and heard over the reserve on a couple of occasions and this Common Eyelash Fungus on logs on the way to the Avalon Hide, photographed by our Site Manager Steve Hughes:

Right, that's it. I'm going to leave it there as technically I am on holiday. Hope you have enjoyed this little round up of the week. 

Thank you to all the contributors (I even have a couple of photos left over for next week): John Crispin, Tina Hale, Steve Hughes, Bryn Evans & Mike Uren.

Have an Enjoyable Easter break.