It feels like it's been a little bit of a quieter week at Ham Wall this week. There have been some quite hot days, which I guess slows things down a bit (including me) and this morning is a bit of a contrast - much cooler with quite a bit of wind (perhaps keeping birds more grounded).

Having said this there is plenty of wildlife to see and we have once again drawn up quite an impressive list of interesting wildlife sightings to report to you. 

The Purple Heron which has been in the area for some time but rarely seen, has been spotted on Ham Wall on at least 4 occasions this week and I was lucky enough to see it myself yesterday flying over the car park. It was quite well silhouetted against the sky but something told me it wasn't a grey heron - wing beat and the way it held itself in flight was slightly different. It was flying to the south which is where it was spotted on Tuesday. Looking south from the old rail bridge it was perched in dead trees a long way off.  Mike Pearce has sent me in a record shot of the bird to help with your IDs. 

It was also seen from the first viewing platform (VP1) on Sunday (John Crispin's photos) and from the Avalon Hide at the end of last week (Toby Fogg's shot):

If you are at the Avalon Hide, continue to look out for the Cranes. They are still in the area - which we believe means they still have the chick. Our Crane experts suggest that they would leave the area if they had failed or the chick had died/been predated. So it looks like good news. The slightly less good news is that they are being seen very infrequently - parental duties are keeping them grounded. You may see the odd flight from a parent though - patience and luck is the key here.

Andrew Kirby did see the mother, Meg (the ringed bird) flying around a couple of days ago though (one was seen very briefly this morning):

It's been a good spot for Bittern flights too along with VP1. Toby Fogg says he had at least 5 flights on his last visit and was able to grab a few shots. These are most likely a female or females making feeding flights:

Similarly, John Crispin took these two shots of a female calling in flight from VP1 this week (most likely the same bird in each shot):

Mike Pearce also saw this bird from VP1 this week:

Marsh Harriers are still busy at the Avalon Hide too, with several sightings throughout the morning. Andrew Kirby saw these two birds interacting this week at the Avalon Hide:

There has been a female bird feeding regularly from VP1 this week. She was once again very active this morning. This female was over at the Avalon Hide yesterday:

Great White Egrets are also a common feature at the Avalon Hide. There were 2 present this morning during my brief visit. Notably, both had yellow bills suggesting birds moving out of their breeding plumage now. This egret was seen  by John Crispin over VP1 this week:

Many birds are still nesting though and our ringing team have ringed their final young egret of the season (AJJ) - 32 ringed in total. Another record year despite a large percentage of nests failing due to weather conditions or predation - they are here to stay that's for sure. Thanks to Alison Morgan for her photo:

Occasional Little Egrets seen around the reserve too but 3 together is actually more unusual for us:

Other birds are moving out breeding plumage too - most notably ducks - which always makes things a bit trickier with the IDs as they tend to blend together. There were several (30+) Gadwall which dropped into Waltons this morning joining the Mallards also in eclipse such as this male:

Mallard in Eclipse: Mike Uren

Juvenile birds can be seen across the reserve. Great Crested Grebes at Waltons can be seen with their stripy youngsters: a pair with 1 on Waltons east and a pair with 4 on Waltons west side. Mute Swans here seen with a small brood this morning but on the northern edge of the reserve a pair with 14 cygnets. This is either a record or perhaps it is a creche (more than one brood joined together with parents - think geese do a similar thing). Young Moorhens and Coots can still be seen (although one was seen dangling underneath a Sparrowhawk on Tuesday). 

These 5 Pochard ducklings were seen with their mother from the Avalon Hide this week:

These Reed Bunting juveniles were spotted from the Avalon Hide on Tuesday:

As was this adult carrying food:

These Pheasant chicks were also spotted by Bryn Evans. I got close to a group of these yesterday in the truck and had to take car not to squash any of the little darlings as they ran up in front of me:

Another youngster here - OK it's a bit of a weak link to insects, but these caterpillars are that of the Peacock Butterfly - they love feeding on nettles, so there's a good chance you will come across some of these. I took this shot this morning on my phone: 

This Blackcap looks like it enjoys these for lunch:

There does seem to be a dip in butterfly numbers at the moment. It's normal to have these lulls between 1st and 2nd generations but it seems excessively low. A few species have been seen though including: Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Speckled Wood, Comma and a growing number of Meadow Browns. 

Red Admiral

Meadow Brown: Bryn Evans

Look out also for this day flying moth - the Scarlet Tiger (look for the red underwing):

A couple of our volunteers set up a moth trap on part of the reserve this week. This is something we have done very little over the years but aim to do this a bit more regularly. 151 different species of moth have been recorded on Ham Wall before and the volunteers found 73 different species in their trap this week - so we are very much hoping to add to our species lists and have far more accurate records - this can also go into a central data base. 

More weird and wonderful bug photos from Bryn Evans now. I'm always amazed at what's out there:

Furry Drone Fly: Bryn Evans

Marsh Snipe Fly: Bryn Evans

Wolf Spider with egg sack: Bryn Evans

Plateumaris sericea: Bryn Evans

Common Drone Fly: Bryn Evans

Furrow Orbweaver: Bryn Evans

Swamp Thick leg: Bryn Evans

I've been sent quite a few dragonfly/damselfly photos, so I will  bunch these together:

Ruddy Darter (first report of these for the year): Bryn Evans

Four Spotted Chaser - the Praenubila form, as mentioned in last week's blog with the almost smudged looking spots - Bryn Evans.

Four Spotted Chaser: Mike Pearce

Four Spotted Chasers: All 3 above from Stephen Grainger

Emperor female: Stephen Grainger

This individual had fallen into the water and was struggling to get out. At one point nearly submerged but she managed to haul herself out. You can just make out some of the algae still on her wings. 

Emperor female ovipositing: Sandie Andrews.

Other dragonflies on site include: Scarce Chaser, Black Tailed Skimmer, Southern Hawker, Lesser Emperor, Brown Hawker and Norfolk Hawker.

Blue Tailed Damselflies mating: Mike Pearce

Red Eyed Damselfly: Sandie Andrews

Banded Demoiselles: Mike Uren

I'm not expert enough to tell you what this one is. It's quite newly emerged and so it its teneral phase. The way Sandie has backlit the shot gives it a transparent look.

Other Damselflies you could see include: Variable, Azure and Common Blue.

Plenty of other insects for you to enjoy - the bramble blossom providing a good nectar source for many:

The flowers here can be seen in different states of development before fully opening.

The car park has plenty of wild flowers including this birds foot trefoil:

Food plant for Common Blue Butterfly I think (amongst others).

The car park can also be good for bird song or just close up views of birds on our feeders such as Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Chaffinch and of course Blue Tit and Great Tit. This fascinating behaviour by a Great Tit was witnessed at the Avalon Hide this week. The Great Tit was showing parasite removal behaviour: lying flat on the ground and opening up its feathers to UV / bright sunlight. This then allows a view of its uropygial gland (preen gland – the pink area visible just above its tail) close up in second image. 

Thanks Mike for the info above and below explaining this behaviour.

The uropygial gland (preen gland) of birds plays an important role in maintaining feather integrity and hygiene. Although a few studies have demonstrated potential defensive roles of bacteria residing within these glands, the diversity and functions of the uropygial gland microbiota are largely unknown.”

Good to have a bit of sciency stuff  thrown in for good measure. 

As you exit the car park be sure to stop off at the old rail bridge. Move slowly and quietly and you may well see Grass Snakes and/or Common Lizard basking in the sunshine. There can be multiples here sometimes - 3 were seen together on Tuesday along with Common Lizard.

Grass Snakes: Stephen Grainger

These were seen last week by Stephen Grainger. The cloudy eye suggesting that this snake is close to shedding its skin. I have found 2 shed skins this week on the reserve. 

At VP1 watch out for passing Cormorants -  not sure the rails where they bask are visible at present due to the reed height, It is starting to close views a bit here and there but of course we cannot cut anything back until we are certain breeding has finished in these areas - a little way to go yet but thank you for your patience - we will get there.

Lesser Black Back Gulls are also in the area looking for an easy meal. Two were sat over on the tern rafts at Waltons this morning but this fella was seen on the Sand Martin box this week with an egg shell in its beak:

A Jay was seen carrying an apple in its beak too - this shot shows it holding it in its claws. They can be heard in the woodlands - you know how noisy they can be. Also seen at the car park and around the reserve seen feeding 2 youngsters:

It's corvid cousin has also been seen with food this week. This Carrion Crow was seen picking at an old carcass - perhaps left by another predator such as one of our previous gulls or Marsh Harrier. Waste not want not I suppose:

Also this week: Green Woodpecker seen and heard at the car park, Hobby spotted at VP1 and the Avalon Hide but slim pickings for sightings, a pair of Shoveler seen from VP1 - not many around recently, Bearded Tits seen from the Avalon Hide including juveniles, Cattle Egret spotted from VP2 yesterday in flight, Bulfinch seen at the car park, Treecreeper and Goldcrest both seen near VP2, Kingfisher heard close to the Avalon Hide this morning (didn't see it) and this wren entertaining folks at the Avalon Hide whilst they waited for the star species to make an appearance:

I'm going to have to stop there - as you can see I was sent quite a number of photos this week - sorry if I didn't use every single one - I would love to go home at some point today. I can always bank a couple for next week. 

Thanks to: John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Mike Pearce, Bryn Evans, Stephen Grainger, Toby Fogg, Andrew Kirby, Mike Uren and Alison Morgan for sending in your brilliant shots and added information. It's very much appreciated. 

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful weekend.