I've been sent an abundance of photos this week, so prepare for a feast of the eyes, with a vast array of species, all photographed in the last week or so at Ham Wall. 

With Autumn trying it's very best to establish itself, we are really beginning to notice a shift in the behaviour of some of our wildlife. I'm definitely hearing more Wigeon, with their whistling call and Teal numbers are building slowly. There were some small groups flying around in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) this morning, whilst I was hearing a few Wigeon around the back of the Waltons Trail. 

We are bringing up the water levels in front of VP1 gradually - speeded up a bit with the deluges of rain we have been getting, so some splashy areas are now beginning to form. Large numbers of geese have been using it this week. Mainly Canada Geese but interspersed with a few Greylags (This one actually taken at the second viewing platform - VP2 by John Crispin):

100+ Canada Geese flew in from the east on Tuesday and some photographed by Mike Pearce

VP1 has also seen good numbers of Snipe using the area. A couple of groups of 20+ each were flying about this morning in their tight flocks - so perhaps around 50 out there. Think they were disturbed by a Marsh Harrier:

Several Marsh Harrier sightings each day with VP1 as good as anywhere to get a sighting. John Crispin's image shows one birds plumage lit up in the early morning sun, whilst Sandie Andrews' shot has one spotting some prey and making an attempt at a catch:

A few Lapwing were also spotted out there this morning - I would imagine there are plenty of splashy fields around locally at the moment which have their attention - I expect numbers will build up here over time. 

Also out in local fields at the moment are really good numbers of Cattle Egret - probably 3 or 4 hundred out between Westhay and Mudgeley. Some were right up by the main road yesterday. 23 were seen flying over between VP1 and VP2 on Wednesday.

Great White Egrets are an easier spot on the reserve. Hard not to come across one somewhere on your visit. VP1 has been really good lately. One was perched up on the Sand Martin bank this morning with a couple of Little Egret nearby. Yesterday they perched together on the ground, giving a great size comparison, whilst today a Grey Heron was also present. 

Unconfirmed reports of a Glossy Ibis on Monday, but nothing since, although I hear there may have been two at Catcott this week also.

Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of the 8 Great White Egrets mentioned in last week's blog and to Robert Sheldon for his shot of a Grey Heron trying to squeeze don rather a large fish:

An even tougher battle here with a sequence of photos from Sandie Andrews of a Great Crested Grebe taking on  a rather large Tench. Apparently, this battle lasted several minutes, with the Grebe picking it up and trying to turn it round to swallow it and then really struggling. It dropped it several times after failing to swallow but would dive and recatch it each time. The grebe looked very disgruntled at one point and spat the fish out before trying one more time. It eventually had to admit defeat and the fish slipped away:

I've been seeing Great Crested Grebes around Waltons this week - so that might be a good place to try. If you are wandering around Waltons look and listen out for Kingfisher - several sightings here this week.

We will hopefully be anchoring the new tern rafts that are currently moored up on the edge of Waltons next week. Hoping to attract Common Terns as they pass through in the spring. A juvenile Common Tern was spotted off the back of Waltons a couple of days ago. 

Despite the rain there have also been some lovely sunny spells - this morning included. I'm still seeing quite a few insects out on the wing. Red Admirals seem pretty abundant along with a few Speckled Wood - can't really think of any others I've seen this week off the top of my head. Bryn Evans has sent in his image of a very fresh looking Red Admiral this week, whilst Sandie Andrews has sent in images of mating Speckled Wood:

The main path can be a great place to see insects on a sunny day. It's south facing aspect and sheltered position is ideal for bugs feeding on late flowering plants such as Ivy - in fact you can often hear a real buzz around them when you are close as hoverflies, bumblebees and wasps. So here's shots of all 3 sent in this week: 

Marmalade Hoverfly - Bryn Evans:

Common Carder on Spear Thistle

German Wasp (Vespula germanica)- Bryn Evans

Wasps can be hard to photograph as they are very mobile. This is believed to be the German Wasp rather than Common Wasp. Feature to look out for include the bulge on the bottom of the thoracic bars or the black and yellow pattern on the abdomen. On the face 3 black dots on the patch between the eyes and the mandibles - the Common Wasp has an anchor shape - thanks for the info Bryn - always interesting to learn something new. I know you are enjoying researching about all the wonderful beats you are finding. 

As you leave the car park and cross the bridge to the main track you may have notice a Badger has been digging on the side of the main path. Guessing it was after grubs in the nest. Sandie Andrews has photographed the debris left behind:

Lots of flowering plants for insects to feed on still apart from the Ivy. Some Comfrey is still in flower as is Spear Thistle as you can see from Sandie's bumblebee image and here below from Bryn Evans who has also seen Water Chickweed - I found some on the verges of Waltons yesterday too:

Been a pretty good berry year too. Great food for winter thrushes such as Fieldfare and Redwing. They have been seen throughout the week in small numbers. If big flocks arrive in time (ie before they rot off the trees), they will make short work of berries such as this of the Guelder Rose snapped by Bryn Evans:

Bryn has also been photographing other invertebrates. Here's 3 different Caddis Flies all photographed last weekend:

Cinnamon Sedge (Limnephilus flavicornis)

Limnephilus decipiens (Caddis fly species)

Brown Sedge Caddis (Anabolia nervosa)

It's a whole new world for some of this stuff - but amazing to know what's out there almost right under your feet. Obviously some of it you might not want under your feet such as slugs and snails (I'll do slugs next week Bryn - thanks for the photos though). This is the Brown Lipped Snail  - I agree with Bryn when he says this may have inspired the humbug:

You may have noticed that the Environment Agency and the Internal Drainage Board have been cleaning out lots of the surrounding drains. You can see quite a number of birds feeding on these edges afterwards looking for an easy meal. You can often see the Swan Mussels, Pond Snails or Ramshorn Snails as pictured here from Bryn Evans:

I'll go back to insects briefly, as you will almost certainly be seeing dragonflies still on your visit. Migrant Hawker, Ruddy Darter and Common Darter can all be seen still. The harsher frosts will get them in the end. 

The first 2 photos here from Mike Pearce show a mature male Common Darter and then a much older, battered looking male with tatty wings (nearing the end of his time:

Now 2 from Bryn Evans. First the Common Dater and then the Migrant Hawker:

They may be nearing the end of their time but they still need to watch out for the odd Hobby. At least 3 reports this week of birds still passing through.

Other birds still on passage include Swallows. Individuals and very small groups have also been spotted throughout the week. 

Warm, still days may be great for insects but they are also the best days to see Bearded Tits at this time of year. Several groups reported right across the site during the Bearded Tit survey undertaken by our wonderful volunteers yesterday. The weather was perfect it has to be said. Every section (with the exception of Loxtons) recorded something. 5 were recorded around Waltons. 

Hot spots for visitors would be on the way to the Avalon Hide from the main path. If you know their calls, just keep your ears and then your eyes open. 

Mike Pearce too this shot of birds passing over the Tor View Hide this week, whilst Sandie's photos were all taken during yesterdays survey:

169 individuals were recorded yesterday - the highest count this season so far. This will also be the most conservative total to ensure there is no double counting or over estimates, so there could well be a few more. Birds like this will need to feed up well and continuously to get through the winter particularly if it's cold and wet. 

Other species do that as well of course. This Grey Squirrel was feeding furiously on the main path this week and allowed Mike Pearce to get quite close for this shot:

They of course will stash many acorns too, to help them through the winter as do Jays. They've been seen several times this week busily carrying acorns to their secret hiding places. Of course they don't remember them all and it is thought that many Oak trees have grown with their help (whether they meant to or not). 

There are Oak trees at the car park and along the main path so you will have a good chance of spotting one. The main path is great other birds - plenty of the "common garden birds". Gangs of Long Tailed Tits are commonplace along with other mixed flocks. Mike Pearce has a composite picture here of 4 of these "common birds" for you to enjoy:

Some lovely colours and markings on these birds when you look closely. 

Another Chaffinch here from Sandie Andrews - she swears you can see the curved shelter over the bench at VP2 if the reflection of its eye. You actually can!!

Look out also for Blackbird, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Bullfinch, Chiffchaff (heard singing this week) and the arrival of Siskins and Redpolls which spend the winter in the area - the last 3 on the list all sent in by Sandie Andrews:

In the reedbeds listen out for the very vocal Water rails and Cettis Warblers (often in the scrub around the edges). These two are very loud - one will often set off another one calling if they are close by. 

Cettis Warbler looking for some morning sun:

The elusive Bitterns are out there somewhere in the reed beds too. VP1, Waltons and the Avalon Hide have been hosts to sightings this week. This one was photographed by John Crispin from VP1 this week. The first photo showing its long wings and the second the landing:

VP1 can often be a good place to see Stonechats too. We have trimmed off the tops of the reeds and brambles here to make the views better but they will still perch nearby. Sandie Andrews took this shot this week:

I'm running out of time as always so here's a quick round up of the rest:

Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers seen around the car park on most days, Ravens heard at the car park and over Waltons this week, Sparrowhawk seen from Tor View Hide yesterday, a Brambling spotted on the car park feeders on Monday, Buzzards seen daily, Pied Wagtail seen perching on the rails at VP1 (pictured - John Crispin), Pochard, Shoveler, Gadwall and Mallard all seen each day and Roe Deer seen on the grassy footpath and around Waltons this week (pictured Bryn Evans). 

It's been a bit of a frantic write today - time is always against me and there is so much to talk about. Thanks to all those who have contributed their amazing photos and info this week: John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Mike Pearce, Bryn Evans and Robert Sheldon. Sorry if I haven't used all your photos, I was sent around 70 images this week and have tried to use a many as I can. I have saved quite a few for next week if I need them. 

That's it for this week as it was home time about 45 minutes ago. Have a great weekend and happy hunting!