Apologies for the late posting - there was a power outage at the office yesterday afternoon (26th) and I lost a fair bit of the blog. Hence I'm finishing it off on Saturday morning at home. So if it feels a bit rushed in places that's why.  Plus will explain why a few of the tenses don't make sense. Anyway here it is. Better late than never!

I was out early this morning undertaking a breeding bird survey on the north of the reserve(2nd of 4 visits). Felt a bit quiet if I'm perfectly honest, although there were plenty of Reed Warblers chattering away so perhaps quiet isn't the right word - not as many sightings as expected, but still a great time to be out and about. 

A few Sedge Warblers go "going for it" too, with their erratic songs. One on the stretch down to the Avalon Hide, with a Reed Warbler on the opposite side for comparison. 

I also had a close encounter with a Cuckoo, which circled me a couple of times and checking me out. A few other Cuckoos could be heard calling across the reserve too. 

I missed the Cranes at the Avalon Hide too by a few minutes. One of them had flown back and forth in front of the hide a couple of times at least, dropping back into the same spot each time, which was good news to hear. I was lucky enough to witness a chase from 2 Bitterns which flew right in front of the hide close in and continued the chase around the back for some distance too. There have been a few chases witnessed this week along with plenty of booming being heard also. Here's another chase that happened in front of the second viewing platform (VP2) this week:

This male (possibly the darker looking male often seen in this area) was seen in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) on Wednesday:

VP1 is still a great place to stop a while. Redshank are calling frequently still and Lapwing are also present. I had 4 calling & displaying over by the factory this morning but none in the fields to the north of the reserve. These are still just half cut maize fields and so full of corvids. Unlikely the Lapwings will attempt to breed up here this year with so many eyes watching them.

A Spotted Redshank was reported this morning by a visitor and a Ruff has also paid a visit during the week. This one pictured has some Canada Geese for company:

Black Tailed Godwits are seen quite frequently here in varying numbers:

3 Whimbrel were seen on a few occasions yesterday to add to our wader list, eventually landing in fields to the north where 2 Egyptian Geese have also been sotted at least twice this week. John Crispin managed this shot of one of the trio from VP1:

The Glossy Ibis are being spotted every day with 4 the maximum count but 3 counted more often this week. Not sure where the other is hiding?

Garganey are still being spotted each day at VP1 - it's been a while since a female has been spotted, let's hope this means they are on nests. Garganey also spotted at VP2 this week:

Plenty of other ducks being spotted this week including Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Mallard (some seen with ducklings) and Shoveler. Pochard numbers also seem good for the time of year.

Pochard female - not in breeding plumage yet?

Mallard female with ducklings.

A single male Pintail is still being picked up at VP1 - this one on Monday:

Marsh Harriers are still busy. Some seen carrying nesting material such as the female pictured from VP1, whilst a male has been seen dropping food into a nest site - perhaps for an incubating female - so they are at different stages:

Others are being spotted interacting with each other too as Sandie's image shows below. VP1 and the Avalon Hide perhaps the best places to spot them but VP2 can also be good:

Other birds of prey are also being reported - a female Hen Harrier was spotted over the car park yesterday (seen at Westhay the evening before), Sparrowhawks seen on a couple of occasions at least. I had one keep flying ahead of me for some distance on Monday (VP2 visitors may have spotted it too) whilst another was reported from the Avalon Hide this morning along with 3 Hobby. Not seen my first yet but singles have also been reported from Waltons, VP1 and VP2. Buzzards are seen frequently and there have been 2 or 3 fly overs from Red Kite during the week, with this one snapped by John Crispin:

Sand Martins are still being seen each day with a growing number of Swallows - quite a few around the Avalon Hide this morning. I'm still yet to see a House Martin and not many being reported. The first Swifts of the year were seen on Sunday with around16 seen together and another group of 30 a little later - none for me yet unfortunately (one of my favourites).

There seems to be good numbers of insects around for the new arrivals to feed on and thanks to Bryn Evans who has been sharing lots of bug photos over the weeks, it's opened our eyes to the diversity of insect life on the reserve too. Lots of wonderful names for some of them too. Here's what Bryn has shared this week. He has used an app called Obsidentify to help discover what things are. Neither of us are pretending to be experts and are happy to be corrected by any more knowledgeable people out there - always keen to learn:

Red and Black Froghopper: Bryn Evans

Alder Fly: Bryn Evans

Bronze Shield Bug: Bryn Evans

Common Snout Fly (Rhingia Campestris): Bryn Evans

Snouted Duck Fly ( Eurimyia Lineata): Bryn Evans

Woolly Tailed Marsh Fly (Helophilus hybridus): Bryn Evans

Marmalade Hoverfly (Episyrphus balteatus): Bryn Evans

Amazing to think how many different species we just pass by or don't even notice. Here's a few more recognisable species:

Orange Tip Butterfly: Bryn Evans

Brimstone butterfly: Bryn Evans

Peacock with Marmalade Hoverfly: Mike Pearce

Drinker Moth Caterpillar: Sandie Andrews

Other Butterflies you may see include: Speckled Wood, Small Tortoiseshell and Green Veined White.

In terms of Dragonflies the only one reported so far is the Hairy Dragonfly - Usually the first to appear. If it warms up a bit others will soon appear - some in large numbers such as the Four Spotted Chaser (watch this space):

Hairy Dragonfly: Sandie Andrews

Whilst we are away from birds, there have been a few sightings of Roe Deer this week including from the Avalon Hide.

Grass Snakes are seen quite regularly (sometimes swimming) with the old rail bridge a good place to look, although don't loiter for long to reduce disturbance. There was a small one showing this morning. This Common Lizard was also spied during the week by Mike Pearce:

When walking along the main path and beyond the bridge listen out for the range of bird song you can hear. Blackcaps are plentiful and the odd Garden Warbler is now being heard. I've not picked one up yet myself. The songs are similar but with practice you can tell them apart. This Garden Warbler was sotted by Sandie Andrews this week:

Willow Warblers are also in good voice - several in the wood before the Avalon Hide this morning along with a drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker close to the path (I could see him through the trees). This Willow Warbler again spotted by Sandie Andrews:

Chiffchaff also calling well across the site:

In the reed beds listen out for Reed Buntings and the ever punchy Cettis Warblers. Still quite a few being seen still, as the new reeds grow and leaves form on trees this will become increasingly difficult:

Plenty of the "more common species" can be seen too such as finches, Blackbirds, Robins, Song Thrush and Tits, including this Long Tailed Tit seen perched in the reeds this week:

Wrens are like the Cettis Warbler a small bird with a loud voice. Plenty to be seen and heard across Ham Wall:

Wren: Bryn Evans

Also see this week: 3 White Stork which flew over the reserve on Sunday, an Otter seen from the old rail bridge on Wednesday with another seen at Waltons on Monday, Great Crested Grebes on nests at Waltons and VP1, Pied Flycatcher reported - guessing it was just passing through, Kestrel spotted over the car park early in the week, Great White Egrets seen daily - hard not to see one during your visit, Common Sandpiper spotted at VP2 and Jays seen quite regularly including a group of 5 at one point.

I'm going to stop there - apologies once again for the delayed posting.

Many thanks to those who contributed photos and information: John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Mike Pearce and Bryn Evans.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.