Some good news to kick off the blog with this week. We have managed to get the Tor View Hide open again. Thanks to all the volunteers who worked hard in all the muck, lifting up the heavy matting and laying down more stone to try and firm up the path, as well as replacing some of the damaged kickboards along the path. Thankfully there was no structural damage to the hide due the the very high water levels we have been experiencing.

I also opened the path to the Loxtons screen approaching from the west. The short path from the north remains very wet and muddy and there is a fallen/leaning birch tree which we need to attend to, so please do not attempt to approach from this direction. 

The Avalon Hide path remains under water but finally (after about 7 weeks of continuous pumping) we are beginning to see some of the surrounding water levels drop - this will hopefully speed up as time goes on and the surface area reduces. Once the path is accessible we will have to carry out some structural checks on the hide, clear some weakened and fallen trees after the recent high winds and I would imagine, give the hide a jolly good clean. With no visitors for many weeks the Barn Owls have probably made even more mess than usual. 

It's good to report some progress though. Let's hope the rains stay away and we can get back to normal in quick time. 

I had a couple of hours out on the reserve this morning. What a pleasant morning it was with the sun shining. You could be fooled into thinking it was spring until you felt the cold in the breeze.

There have been lots of signs of spring this week. Snowdrops have sprung up into flower, Great Crested Grebes were seen head bobbing and displaying in Waltons yesterday and I heard my first grunting Bittern of the season as we repaired the Tor View Hide path.

Apparently, there were a couple grunting around Waltons early last week. This is the sound they make before booming. They are exercising the big throat muscle which helps the project the amazing booming call of the male Bittern as he seeks a mate (or two). A couple of flights were also reported from the second viewing platform (VP2) this week.

Yesterday, I was also hearing Grey Herons making plenty of noise in the reedbeds suggesting to me that they were displaying and/or setting up their nesting territories in the reed beds. 

Sure enough, John Crispin has bagged these shots of birds this week. The first is a sky pointing bird - a behaviour often associated with Bitterns - it helps them blend into the upright reeds. For Grey Herons I assume this is mating or territorial behaviour. 

The second image shows an individual carrying nesting material. They traditionally nest quite early, so nest building in January is no real surprise:

The warmer weather over the last couple of days has also meant a bit more bird song can be heard. Earlier in the day is probably best (also best time to hear any Bitterns). Song Thrush have been particularly noticeable but this morning I also heard: Great Tit, Blue Tit, Goldcrest & Blackbird in song. This Song Thrush was photographed by John Crispin this week. Firstly on the main path smashing open snails and then in the oak tree next to VP2:

It's always worth scanning in amongst the trees as you walk along the main track - you never know what you might see. This morning 2 Treecreepers were spotted together close to VP2 and up at VP1 a Blackcap was perched in a tree. 

Siskin and Lesser Redpoll are seen regularly feeding in the alder trees. A group of 30 or so Siskin were recorded this week with a small group of Redpolls for good measure. As I passed along the main track this morning a small group of Redwings were moving along in front of me in the trees. 

As I walked along some of the grassy footpaths it was Chiffchaff that were hopping and flitting in front of me. Good numbers of Chiffchaff overwintering with us. 

A drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker was also busy in an oak tree between the two viewing platforms (VP1 & VP2). A pair were also seen together at VP2 this morning and some Jays were busy squawking away. This one was photographed by John Crispin this week:

There were still frosts and ice around last weekend and early this week as the above photos show. Water was also iced over in many places. These Snipe decided to go skating and were seen out on the ice:

They are usually hidden in amongst the reeds or are along the edges of the water and fly away with the their familiar zig zag flight and call as you disturb them when you pass. 

These were displaying more usual behaviour in Waltons this week:

The cut island at Waltons (in front of the 3rd screen) was just beginning to show some land above water again and hopefully the water will continue to drop here and out in front of VP1. This would normally be home to a few hundred Lapwing at this time of year. Large groups were flying around yesterday looking for a place to land but levels are just too high still. 2 or 3 hundred were present at one point but a group of around 100 seemed more regular throughout the day yesterday. 

The only other wader reported to me this week was Black Tailed Godwits. This group flew over early in the week and some did land on the ice at VP1 and had a lone Snipe for company:

There are a few Shoveler in the shot too and they seem particularly abundant from VP1 and with Waltons this week. Plenty of Teal in both places too and small tight flocks were flying around in front of VP1 this morning. 26 Pochard counted at VP1 on Tuesday - the largest number here tis winter so far. Other ducks to look ut for are Mallard, Gadwall, Tufted Duck and Wigeon. 

Pintail have been seen again this week. Big numbers over on Shapwick Heath but 9 from VP2 at Ham Wall. Several sightings of smaller numbers this week too, including a pair seen on Sunday in flight at VP1 and a small group of around 4 see over Waltons this morning. 

With all these duck around it's no surprise to see Marsh Harriers frequently. The large numbers of birds within Waltons often fly up in panic as one passes overhead.  They have been heard calling in flight to each other this week several times. Perhaps pairs beginning to reinforce bonds for an upcoming breeding season. 

Other birds of prey spotted this week include Sparrowhawk seen on more than one occasion at both VP1 and around Waltons. 

A Red Kite also flew over VP1 last Saturday (20th) and John Crispin was on hand to capture this image:

Also this week: Roe Deer spotted from VP2, a Weasel ran across the main track near VP1 this morning, Green Woodpecker heard calling from the car park this week, Bullfinch seen along the main track but also frequently seen feeding on the Guelder Rose bush close to the Information Hut at the car park, Firecrest seen again at the boardwalk bridge leading out of the car park to the reserve and down by VP2, Raven over the car park on Tuesday, Fieldfare seen at VP1, Waltons & the car park this week, 2 Egyptian Geese from VP1 on Tuesday, Great White Egrets seen most days alongside the main drain or at VP1, Glossy Ibis flew south over VP1 yesterday afternoon, 10 Cattle Egret east over VP1 on Monday (100's seen in fields locally) and a pair of Goldeneye spotted by my colleague in the River Brue on the Meare to Glastonbury Road as we drover by on Tuesday (not the reserve - few hundred metres away but interesting nonetheless). 

Think I will leave it there for this week. Thanks to John Crispin for his photos and information and to John Last for sending in his sightings this week and to anyone who has fed back to me verbally throughout the week - it's all a very big help when it comes to writing this on a Friday. 

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!