Water, water everywhere! That's seems to be the theme at Ham Wall at the moment. The reserve was pretty full to the brim (and overflowing in some places) a couple of weeks ago. After a pretty soggy week off, I returned to pretty much the same. I managed to get the pumps back on, on Saturday as the level in the surrounding drains had fallen sufficiently and they have been on 24/7 all week.

It finally feels like we are making some headway - the ponds at the car park have dropped as has some of the excess along the grassy footpath side. Sadly, the Avalon Hide path was still over wellington depth as of yesterday morning, but with headway being made else where hopefully this will begin to shift soon. 

The main track is of course high and dry and offers good views across the reserve and the Waltons trail, screens and the Tor View Hide are also easily accessible. I was cutting vegetation with our machine this morning and dropped some cuttings on the wet corner of Loxtons meaning the screen is accessible but only from the west side not straight up from the north as it is still underwater.

Right, that's the logistics out of the way, on to the wildlife. 

Great weather for ducks, or so they say, and that has been broadly true with good numbers visible in Waltons in particular. Gadwall are here as well as Shoveler. This Gadwall was snapped by Sandie Andrews yesterday:

From the first viewing platform (VP1) you can see good numbers of Teal along with Wigeon, Tufted Duck, the odd Pochard and Mallard. A Garganey was also spotted this week during the WeBS count in the section visible from the old rail bridge and viewing areas on the right as you walk onto the reserve (76 Wigeon, 24 Pochard and 10 Little Grebe other notable numbers here). 

These Wigeon and Teal shots were taken by John  Crispin this week:

This Tufted Duck was also photographed finding a snack - looks like a Ramshorn Snail to me:

Another bird finding lunch now. This Cormorant found itself a sizeable eel but had a bit of a struggle to swallow it as the photo sequence shows. Even after 50 minutes it had still not quite swallowed it all. The final shot shows it putting its head in the water - aiding lubrication perhaps of just cleaning off the eel slime? Thanks to John Crispin who witnessed the drama and sent in his images:

Great White Egrets are still using the VP1 area regularly and can sometimes be seen sitting on top of the artificial sand martin bank or the post and rails in front. This individual was photographed last week perched on the rails and then picked up a piece of reed that floated underneath - not sure why or for what purpose. Perhaps he went for a fish and missed and caught the reed. with an audience watching he just acted casual, like he meant it, to save any embarrassment.  

This bird flew up from close to the old rail bridge at the start of the reserve this week and called in flight as it did so:

The rails at VP1 have also been used by Kingfishers several times in recent weeks. I've also heard them whilst working in the Waltons are this week and from the old rail bridge over by the wood on the left hand side as you walk in. 

A Glossy Ibis popped in very briefly last week before flying off west. Not so brief as to stop John Crispin getting this record shot of its visit:

Very occasional Bittern flights recorded this week - back to their secretive best but Grey Herons are fishing along the banks and can be quite obvious:

Another bird seen frequently from VP1, and all over the reserve really, is the Marsh Harrier. Several different individuals have been seen throughout the week. John Crispin's photos here (all taken this week) show the huge variation in plumage that these birds can have - helpful to pick out individual birds, particularly if surveying in breeding season: 

Other birds of prey seen this week include Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk - seen having a bit of a spat with some corvids over the car park this week.

The car park can often be a good place to see a variety of birds - perhaps just flying over, perching in the surrounding trees or munching on berries in the hedgerows. 

Saturday saw a big influx of Fieldfares with several groups passing over - perhaps 250 birds in total. I saw a couple of groups yesterday too. Some Redwings were amongst them too (size difference was quite obvious). Sandie Andrews has sent in a Fieldfare shot taken last week along with 2 shots of Redwing which were over on Shapwick last week too:

This blackbird was also enjoying some berries at Ham Wall last week:

Grey Squirrels are busy collecting acorns (as well as stealing from the bird feeders (or trying to anyway). These two images were both taken this week in and around the car park:

Grey Squirrel : Bryn Evans.

Firecrest has also been spotted this week around the boardwalk bridge that exits the car park to Ham Wall. One was prevuously seen over on Shapwick Heath not far from their car park. This record shot was taken by Sandie Andrews on Shapwick on Nov 13th:

Goldcrests as pictured below are far more likely but check them all closely because you never know:

You may often see or here Green Woodpecker in the car park - one flew over me and landed in the car park islands on Saturday. Greater Spotted Woodpeckers are also seen regularly around the reserve.

Pied Wagtails are being seen frequently at the car park this week - dodging cars on the quest for food, whilst no visit is complete without one of our very friendly Robins following around, watching you closely or blatantly begging for food (both images from Bryn Evans):  

Insect loving birds are having to work a bit harder now or switch their diets. Some plants are still flowering allowing an extended season for many flying insects and sunny spells still boost activity, especially in more sheltered but sunny spots:

You may have guessed from my wording above that t's bug photo time. Thanks again to Bryn Evans who has been snapping away and trying to identify what he's seen as well as give some some snippets of interesting info. 

Lets start with something more obvious. This Red Admiral was spotted sunning itself this week. I've been seeing a few but far less than a couple of weeks ago:

I'm trying to recall whether I've seen any dragonflies this week. It is still more than possible given the lack of frost - you sometimes get species such as Ruddy Darter well into November and the frosts finish them off but as you know, it has been mild still.

A few hoverflies are still being spotted. This Marmalade fly was snapped last week:

Here we have the Tapered Drone fly followed by the Common Drone fly. Check out the shape of the abdomen to see the difference in shape

Next it's Dryomyza antilis - appears to bear no common name for a pretty common fly:

A Hylemya genus of fly:

Calliopum genus - as with many flies only a detailed examination with a hand lens will get you down to the species level:

Fever Fly (Dilophus febrilis). Related to the St Marks fly. You may recall seeing these in spring at Ham Wall. Dark looking flies with their legs dangling down - the come out around St Marks day - hence the name:

Nursery Web Spider - if I remember correctly these ambush prey rather than catch them in webs:

Garden Tiger Moth caterpillar:

Finally, this Pond Skater from Sandie Andrews. Taken on the Tor View Hide path when it was flooded over. They feed on small insects and catch them by detecting vibrations on the surface of the water. They also have water repellent hairs on their feet so they can walk on the water without breaking the surface tension:

Also this week: Ravens flying over cronking on several days including VP1 yesterday, A Ring Necked Duck seen in the section behind Waltons but also over on Shapwick (x3), 12 Snipe dropped in front of VP1 this morning, Lapwing seen at VP1 but not staying long c100 birds - most likely pushed out by high water levels - perhaps surrounding wet and flooded fields are more preferable currently, c300 plus Cattle Egrets in fields near Mudgeley/Westhay but close to 700 counted at roost time (not Ham Wall but interesting), a Muntjac Deer sprinting past VP1 on Saturday next to the drain, Roe Deer spotted on the reserve most days, gangs of Long Tailed Tits seen daily, Siskin and Redpoll seen along main track along with Treecreeper, Jays seen in small groups of 3 or 4 collecting acorns to cache for winter, Chiffchaffs seen amongst the trees and hedgerows, vocal Cettis Warblers and Water Rails within the reed beds, Bearded Tits seen on the way to the Avalon Hide (main track obviously as further up is sill flooded). 

I'll leave you with a sunrise shot from John Crispin. Taken this Wednesday morning looking across the eastern half of Waltons:

That's it for this week. Hope you've enjoyed reading and the wonderful images that have been sent in. Thanks to John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Bryn Evans and Mike Pearce for their brilliant contributions. Have a great weekend!