What a beautiful morning it was today out on the reserve. I've been so busy recently, I've hardly had time to stop and stare. I had a couple of little jobs to do this morning before my usual Friday stint in the office. As I walked along the main path there was plenty of insect life buzzing around in the sunshine.

Keep an eye on the ivy in flower here. As the main path faces south and is quite sheltered, it's a haven for insect life and a great late nectar source. A good number of Red Admirals were taking full advantage along with Speckled Wood Butterfly and numerous hoverflies, wasps and other flying insects. The few remaining dragonfly species were out on the hunt too - good numbers of Ruddy Darter, Common Darter and Migrant Hawker could be seen. Whilst they hunt other insects there are still one or two Hobbies passing through looking to make a meal out of them too. I spotted one over the area in front of the first viewing platform whist reed cutting here on Monday but there have been quite a few other sightings including yesterday.

Other butterflies spotted this week include Peacock, Green Veined White, Small White and Comma. Pictured here are Red Admiral and Comma (Wings closed) from Mike Uren and a Green Veined White on a bindweed flower from John Crispin:

Also this morning a Chiffchaff was singing merrily and they have been heard on most days this week and when walking up to the Tor View Hide 2 Cettis Warblers were kind of half singing but moving quickly in the bushes together bobbing tails and flapping wings at each other - territorial? Not seen this behaviour before. 

This Chiffchaff was photographed by John Crispin this week:

A few species present in Waltons this morning: the usual plethora of Coots being noisy and making themselves known, a few Mallard but plenty of Gadwall throughout the week - good couple of hundred here on Monday. Thanks to John Crispin for this shot. He often remarks about the plumage of the male and I'm inclined to agree with him. When you look close up it is wonderful:

Moorhens could also be heard this morning and a few squealing water rails - if you approach the Tor View Hide quietly you may get the chance to see one. The reeds have regrown somewhat after a fairly recent cut but we will get back in and cut again soon - this is often a good place to see birds such as Teal over the winter as they often loaf about here. There are a few Teal and Wigeon on site but we are still waiting for the larger influx.

Also present this morning from the Waltons screens were a pair of Mute Swans with 3 cygnets and a Great Crested Grebe. Mike Uren has sent in a close up of a Mute Swan dabbling amongst the duckweed seen in the main drain close to the second viewing platform (VP2) this week, whilst John Crispin's image of a Great Crested Grebe appears to be a sub adult enjoying a freshly caught fish:

Little Grebe have also been seen in Waltons this week, whilst over at the Avalon Hide an adult has been spotted with a chick. The Avalon Hide has also offered: Bittern, Tufted Duck, Great White Egret and Little Egret this week.

Great White Egrets are often spotted at VP1 currently fishing off the edges of the cut islands (this work will continue next week - hoping to complete in about 3-4 weeks and the slowly raise the water levels to create some nice splashy areas for ducks and waders). 

This Little Egret was photographed by John Crispin over on one of the floating rafts at Waltons having a good preen, having just caught a fish on one of this week's misty mornings:

As well as Great White Egrets from VP1 look out for Marsh Harriers using this area too as well as from the Avalon Hide and VP2. John Crispin has photographed one of this years juvenile birds loitering in the area:

Yesterday, some volunteers and I moved the pontoon bridge that we use to access the islands in front of VP1. The punted it from east west and were hearing a good number of Bearded tits on their journey. I heard and saw many more on the far western piece of reedbed visible from here. Many perching up together and then moving off in groups - one group I saw totalled around 20 birds - lovely. This gathering together is a seasonal habit during September and October before dispersing, so it's a great time to look for them. Still, sunny days like yesterday are best. 

As I mentioned last week we have put out some grit trays for them to use. They take up grit to help digest the reeds seeds they mainly feed on when insect numbers drop in colder months. We have placed one visible from Tor View Hide, one on the way to the Avalon Hide after the wood and one on the stretch before you leave the main path to go to the Avalon Hide. Another is in front of the slightly hidden bench close to VP2 (on the grassy path side of the drain not the main path). Let's hope they use them.

I did just briefly mention insects, but I also promised in last week's blog to share more of Bryn Evans photos. So let's see what else he has photographed lurking in the undergrowth (that sounds sinister - the insects etc are lurking, not Bryn). As with last week's images he has used Obsidentify to get the IDs of all the wonderful creatures:

Shiny-backed halfband: Bryn Evans

Two Spotted Centurion: Bryn Evans

Vulgichneumon wasp (Species unknown): Bryn Evans

Marsh Damsel Bug: Bryn Evans

Green Shield Bug: Bryn Evans

Amber snail: Bryn Evans

Yellow Dung Fly: Bryn Evans

Bryn has also photographed this Pheasant. Not sure if this is a juvenile or a male in moult - going with adult in moult myself - just seems to have quite rich colours there? I am still seeing a female with 2 young (think she has lost one) one of which you can see is male and one female on the grass footpath side of the main drain:

Another is it a juvenile or is it an adult in moult now? Again I'm going for adult but happy for you to disagree.  Green Woodpecker are being heard and seen regularly (have been since spring - suggesting they have bred). There have been several sightings around the car park this week. Mike Pearce has framed this shot nicely amongst the hawthorn - taken on Monday:

Great Spotted Woodpeckers are seen daily on the reserve - one flew past me on the main path this morning.  

Also heard, but failed to see a Kingfisher at Waltons today. Reports also this week from the Avalon Hide and VP1 - the volunteers had one yesterday here too and I saw one flash past me near here on Monday. Some photographic evidence here from John Crispin. No doubting where this is. It was using the artificial sand martin bank as a launch pad:

Sand Martins didn't use it again this year - we will keep trying new things to get them in. Perhaps playing the call to attract them over when they first arrive (this has worked at other sites). Many martins are still leaving our shores. John Crispin has mentioned seeing around 40-50 over the course of an hour during a morning and Swallows are still passing through each day too. I was watching some swooping down over the Water in Waltons this morning picking off insects. 

Some other busy bees, well Hornets, are still present in the nest boxes behind the car park Welcome Building. Mike Pearce has taken this interesting shot. One Hornet looks to be carrying an early stage larvae - if I'm wrong I'm happy to be told so - you never stop learning:

Also this week: an Osprey seen by a visitor over Loxtons yesterday, Buzzards seen daily, Ravens flying over most days (often hear them before you see them), Stock Doves feeding in the car park on Wednesday hidden in with some Wood Pigeons, 200+ Cattle Egret seen in local fields close to Westhay/Mudgeley and some seem near Burtle too, 250 Greylag Geese together in a field adjacent to Ham Wall (far end of the drain that runs under the old rail bridge) but 80-100 roosting in the area in front of VP2 each night, Roe Deer and fawn using the banks the surround the section in front of VP1 - I disturbed the a couple of times this week whilst moving my reed cutting machine around and this distant Peregrine was seen by John Crispin this week from VP1:

Before I go I'm going to advertise again some of our upcoming events:

Bookable bespoke guided walks – 24 October, 03, 12, 17 and 21 November, 01 and 08 December 2023 and 08, 19 and 23 January 2024- 10:30am – 1.30pm

If you're planning a visit, you can book a volunteer guide for a 3 hour guided walk! We'll tailor each walk to suit your needs and focus on the wildlife you want to see (as the wildlife is, well, wild, we can't always guarantee what you'll see, but we'll try our hardest). Our bookable bespoke walks make an excellent gift for nature lovers! This is one price for a group of up to 6 people and you'll have the undivided attention of your expert guide the whole time. Cost is £64.75 for members and £80.75 for non-members. 

Family bird watching guided walk – 01 October 2023 10:30am – 1pm

Learn to tell your Great Tits from your Coal Tits and your Great White Egrets from your Grey Herons. Join us on a family friendly walk around RSPB Ham Wall as we see how many different birds we can spot, whilst learning more about their different behaviours. Walk is suitable for ages 8+.

Bird watching guided walk – 14 October 2023 10:30am – 1pm

Join us on a walk around RSPB Ham Wall as we see how many different birds we can spot during the Autumn, whilst learning more about their different behaviours. Many wading birds arrive at the reserve during Autumn for the Winter months, and birds can be spotted foraging for berries in the trees and hedgerows.

For more info and to book any of the above events, please visit https://events.rspb.org.uk/hamwall.

That's it for this week. Thanks for reading, I hope you have enjoyed it. As always huge thanks to all who contributed their photos and information: John Crispin, Bryn Evans, Mike Pearce and Mike Uren. 

Have a great weekend!