Well, what a couple of weeks we've had at Ham Wall. I thought things were bad enough before my week off last week but with more rain, it's been a battle to get water levels down and we are still largely underwater. 

We are at the mercy of the weather of course but also the levels in the surrounding drains to allow us to pump or use gravity to rid ourselves of some water. 

The good news is that the levels around Waltons are dropping, although we still had to wade up to the Tor View Hide yesterday. The boardwalk is mostly uncovered but debris has settled out on top and some pieces have broken under the sheer weight and strain of water. As a result of this, it remains closed, as does the play area and picnic benches further down. We will only have a skeleton staff over Christmas, so this will remain closed into the New Year until we can clean up and effect any repairs.

The Avalon Hide path is still well underwater and will remain so until the pumps can catch up - estimating another couple of weeks if the weather stays a bit drier - so this also remains closed. There is a huge amount of water out there. It means your access on the reserve is pretty limited - the main path (old rail track) and the footpath side of the drain which is muddy in places. High winds to day aren't making monitoring this any easier. 

Surrounding roads are all accessible currently. 

Even the Starlings have had enough of us and are currently roosting over on Shapwick Heath (much drier than us) on The Roughet - the area on the left past Noah's Lake if walking from Ham Wall. This individual was photographed taking a drink by Sandie Andrews this week. Plenty of water to choose from:

Not the only bird taking a drinks break this week. This Magpie was spotted in the car park on Saturday:

Access may be limited, but there is plenty to see even from your limited vantage points at Ham Wall. Plenty of Wildfowl visible from the first viewing platform (VP1) including: Shoveler, Tufted Duck and Teal. These 4 male Shoveler and single female were photographed by John Crispin this week:

Over in Waltons you can see plenty of Gadwall, Mallard and Coot. This Coot was being particularly grumpy with some others this week as Bryn Evans' photos show. It made a beeline for another Coot swimming it its general direction, launching its attack and completely submerging its victim. Point made, it perceived another as a threat and went after that one too. Behaviour usually associated with breeding territories I would have though - perhaps the milder weather is contributing or it could just be a crazy Coot : 

Last week (12th) from VP1 saw a Ring Necked Duck present in amongst the Tufted Duck - there have been a few over at Westhay I think. John Crispin was on hand to grab a few shots:

Last week also saw a couple of Pochard - the numbers seem far fewer than normal at the moment.

On the 15th a Bittern flew from the south and landed over in the area in front of VP1 - a real treat. Far fewer sightings at this time of year but to think it won't be long before they start booming again - often starting in January here at Ham Wall. Again John Crispin was in the right place to capture this image:

Also from VP1 recently, several sightings of Kingfisher using the post and rails as a fishing perch. I've heard several on my journeys around the reserve this week but not managed to actaully see one. Sandie Andrews managed this shot on Saturday 16th as she approached the old rail bridge: 

With the high levels of water, the main thing we are lacking is the waders. 4 Lapwing flew around the VP1 area on Wednesday but then flew off. I suspect many are in surrounding flooded fields were water levels and feeding are more favourable. c1000 reported from the area beyond the River Brue between Meare and Glastonbury. 

On Monday a solitary Black Tailed Godwit flew around and then off again - not seeing a suitable place to land or any companions.

Snipe are being seen and heard though. Most likely they are pushed right out to the edges of the banks where they can still feed. I've seen a few single birds this week but a group of 10 on Monday and a group of 20 or so on Tuesday flying in front of the second viewing platform (VP2). John Crispin also saw a small group this week and has sent in this shot:

The Glossy Ibis has also been seen flying around this area a couple of times but again the high water levels were off putting. Let's hope the water levels get down sooner rather than later. 

Marsh Harriers are still a daily fixture though and can be seen quartering over the reedbeds each day. In the mornings they tend to scour the areas where the Starling roost had gathered - looking for dead or struggling Starlings for an easy snack. On Wednesday morning 3 could be seen from the car park hunting over Shapwick Heath and then 4 more flew from Ham Wall direction to join them. This females was spotted from VP1 this week:

A bit of a stay at VP1 can bring other rewards too - this Stonechat was snapped by John Crispin last week but have been seen this week too - both male and female:

The rail path trees can be good. It's worth scanning everything than moves and checking out flocks of tits and finches - you never know what may be lurking in amongst them. Groups of Long Tailed Tits are common. My colleague thinks he may have seen a Firecrest within the group we saw on Tuesday beyond VP2. Not heard of any further Firecrest sightings since the last ones but I would suggest trying the main track between the two boardwalks leading out each end of the car park and the boardwalks themselves. 

Also on the track this week I've seen small groups of Siskin and Redpoll = check out the Alder trees to try and see them feeding. Sandie Andrew managed to get shots of both on Saturday (16th):

She also manged this record shot of Bullfinch -  nice to know they are present:

Also spotted along the main track this week include Treecreeper, Goldcrest, Buzzard and Chiffchaff (pictured). 

The car park too can be a good place to loiter a while. All kinds of species fly over or visit the hedges and trees. Great White Egrets often fly over and can also be seen from VP1 despite the high water levels. A Merlin was seen there on Tuesday, 4 Fieldfare flew over yesterday, Many birds frequent the bird feeders along with some rather tubby looking Grey Squirrels who have also been gorging on berries from surrounding bushes:

Grey Squirrel - Robert Sheldon.

On the feeders look out for Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Chaffinch and Goldfinch - they also love the Teasels (pictured):

Goldfinch - Robert Sheldon.

We also get visits from both Great Spotted Woodpecker and frequent sightings of Jays at the car park too. This Great Spotted Woodpecker was seen searching for food under one of the Bearded Tit grit trays on the reserve this week and below that a Jay passing in front of VP2:

As you can imagine not many bugs to see around the reserve at the moment. Within the leaf litter and rotting wood is you best bet as creatures hide away from the conditions. Bryn Evans came across a couple of things though. First this flat backed millipede:

Superficially similar to centipedes, the millipede has 2 pairs of legs per segment, whilst the centipede has just one pair per segment.

Then this larvae seen underneath leaves. Bryn thinks the larvae of a Soldier Fly species is the nearest match. The second photo gives you an idea of size:

Mammals may be just as hard to come by (apart from the Squirrels). Roe deer is your most likely sighting or perhaps a rabbit in the car park. Small mammals could well be struggling with the flooding. Other than that a Weasel was seen crossing the path as you go from the main track into Waltons on Saturday.

Think I will have to leave it there for now. Thank you as always to all those who sent in their brilliant photos and information: John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Bryn Evans and Robert Sheldon. 

I finish for Christmas today - although I will be in checking for fallen or damaged trees tomorrow after todays high winds and will drop in over the Christmas break to check thigs over - including the movement of water of course. Other than that it leaves me just to Wish You all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I'll leave you with this - not a Christmas Robin but doing what Robins do best!