Well, as always I have not left myself much time to write this but this time I'm not going to say it may be shorter than normal as it never seems to work out that way. Anyway - I will do my best with the time available to bring you up to date with the past week at Ham Wall. 

I have to say, it's been another amazing week. The sun has also been shining for a couple of days, which really helps. Lots of happy visitors are enjoying new arrivals, rarities and all the fabulous resident wildlife that call Ham Wall home. 

There are certain birds which people look out for to get that real sense that spring is underway. Sand Martins are one - they have been passing through all week in batches, with one group of 300 counted at one point. Sandie Andrews captured this image of a flock passing through on Wednesday:

Swallows have been seen in small numbers and this morning our first reports of House Martin too, with one seen over the car park.

For me I think it might be the Cuckoo. It was great to hear my first up at our workshop in the Avalon Marshes Centre on Wednesday morning, followed quickly by a second at the reserve a little later. I had to wait another day for my first sighting - it flew very close to me and some volunteers and would have been visible to visitors from the second viewing platform (VP2). John Crispin got this shot from the first viewing platform (VP1) this week: 

Their favourite host in these parts would be the Reed Warbler, so they had better beware. A distinct rise in Reed Warbler numbers this week - the chattering in our reed beds likely to increase further over the next couple of weeks. 

Sedge Warblers are also coming in but in far lesser numbers around Ham Wall. Also in the reed beds and around the edges Cettis Warblers are being extremely vocal - hard to miss the sound but hard to spot the bird sometimes. Have a good scan though - it's the best time of year to catch a sighting of these birds before the leaves are fully out and vegetation becomes more lush. 

Other warblers are continuing to arrive. Willow Warblers are here in good numbers but Blackcap are the most numerous - not that surprising as many now overwinter on our shores along with Chiffchaff, which you will also hear in some. I think I heard my first Whitethroat along the main track this morning too. 

Other birds are joining in with the chorus too, of course. Many already underway with feeding as this Robin shows:

Add to this the sounds of Dunnock, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Goldfinch, Chaffinch & Goldcrest along with Blue Tit and Great Tit and the orchestra is sounding pretty sweet. The last 3 were all photographed here and are displayed here:

Goldcrest: Sandie Andrews

Blue Tit: Amy Collyer

Great Tit: Amy Collyer

VP1 is a good place to head to - the open views offering a good selection of birds. The 4 Glossy Ibis have continued to use this area for long periods with a possible 5th bird seen flying over Loxtons on Sunday. 

Glossy Ibis: Amy Collyer

Several species of wader are also being seen each day with the Redshanks calling wildly for long periods:

Lapwing are also calling and displaying:

Lapwing: Amy Collyer

Up to 16 Black Tailed Godwits have been counted as well as a single Greenshank on a few occasions and this Ruff also put in an appearance:

At VP1 also look out for Garganey - becoming a little harder to find on some days - perhaps females are disappearing as they are on nests. Daily sightings are occurring however: 

Great White Egrets can be seen across the reserve but the open aspect of VP1 makes them a little easier to spot. Amy Collyer sent me in these 2 pics from last Friday. The first standing proudly with a good catch, looking very pleased with itself and the second showing well the beautiful plumes of this elegant bird:

Other heron species can be seen each day. The odd Little Egret can be seen, although we seem to get very few of these when compared to their larger cousin above, which are numerous. Grey Herons can be seen fishing on the main drain or around the edges of the reeds. They are nesting in the Waltons section within the reeds - visible from the screens if you scan with your binoculars. You may see them dropping into nest sites or standing up tall in the reeds:

A Ham Wall favourite is of course the Bittern - the main reason why these reedbeds were created (30 years ago this year). The males are still booming loudly around the reserve and there has been an increase in sightings as birds are involved in chases (potentially males chasing off other males or just as likely a male chasing after a female). Lots of Bittern photos sent in this week proves an increase in sightings:

You think 2 is good - how about 4? Think this is 3 males chasing the female in front:

Bitterns (X4): Toby Fogg

These were seen from VP1 but also the Avalon Hide. 

The Avalon Hide is a great place to go too. If you think Great White Egrets are big - we can go bigger! 

Common Cranes are still present very day - either dropping into the reeds and sitting not far in front or circling overhead. I heard the bugling to each other yesterday - what an amazing sound to hear! Toby Fogg has managed another great Crane shot this week and sent it in, as too has Sandie Andrews - thank you both:

These images both look to be the unringed male bird rather than the ringed female (Meg). 

The Avalon Hide is perhaps the best place to see Marsh Harriers too with birds nesting in at least 3 locations visible from the hide - nesting material has been carried in during the week and there has been plenty of flight activity and birds calling in the air.

A Sparrowhawk perched briefly on the lower deck of the hide right outside the windows yesterday and a Kingfisher was perch on the wooden gate on the front bank to the left too. 

We are hoping that the Cranes are on eggs currently - we are monitoring closely. The good news is the island they have chosen is pretty inaccessible to land predators - it would take a brave fox to try and access this area. 

Other birds are most definitely on eggs or even a little further on. These Grebes did a nest changeover at Waltons this week - both adults incubate: 

Let's have a few more Grebe pictures - they are pretty awesome:

Great Crested Grebes. 3 pictures above all from Amy Collyer.

Some Coots are a little further on as we can see here:

They had better watch out though. At any stage they could be dinner for something else. This Lesser Black Backed Gull has predated what looks like a Coot egg - the contents looked pretty much ready to hatch - the more brutal side of nature (the Terns in the photo are the decoys on the rafts):

Let's have something more pretty to take our minds away from the carnage. Butterflies are brightening the day during the sunnier spells. Several species out on the wing this week including: Green Veined White, Orange Tip, Brimstone, Peacock, Speckled Wood, Small Tortoiseshell all spring to mind and we've got pictures taken this week of 4 of the below:

Orange Tip male: Shows the nice marbled green of the underwing

Orange Tip male: perhaps newly emerged as wings look crumpled.

Orange tip female for comparison.

Speckled Wood

Peacock: Amy Collyer.

Dragonflies are quite these yet apart from the odd Hairy Dragonfly - normally the first to emerge. John Crispin snapped this female quickly yesterday at VP1 to give you an idea what to look out for:

Damselflies are beginning to emerge in greater numbers now and will soon be everywhere. Large Red, Variable, Blue Tailed and Azure pictured below all present:

Plenty of other insects to look out for including numerous hoverflies and several bumblebee species such as this Common Carder covered in pollen:

If you like the more unusual how about this non biting midge (my favourite kind of midge):

Seeing more flowers out now which can only be a good thing for insects, including this Lady's Smock photographed by Sandie Andrews: 

Also interesting to see new leaf growth on the oak trees. The catkins are the male part and the red dots the female flowers which eventually turn into acorns: 

Grass Snakes are also seen daily often at the old rail bridge on the south facing aspect. Please keep disturbance and noise to a minimum here and allow the creatures to bask in relative peace, so they can warm up and go about their day. Common Lizard can also be seen on occasion:

Also this week: pair of Greylags with 7 or 8 goslings behind VP2 at Loxtons, and Otter seen from the western screens at Waltons on Monday, Great Spotted Woodpeckers heard drumming, Roe Deer spotted around the grassy trails of Waltons, Red Kite over the Avalon Hide on Monday, Redpoll seen along the main path, Pochard, Shoveler, Mallard and Tufted Duck all present, Buzzards soaring on thermals up high and the first Hobby from VP1 this morning (not seen by me unfortunately). 

That's it - I'm running over time and must finish here. Thanks to all who sent me in their amazing photos: John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Mike Pearce, Mike Uren, Toby Fogg and Amy Collyer. Apologies if I haven't used all your photos this week - there were just too many and not enough time. They are very much appreciated though.

Thanks for reading and have an amazing weekend.