What a glorious morning it was this morning as I undertook a couple of small jobs out on the reserve. Cuckoos greeted me at the car park. There were at least 2 calling although I didn't catch site of them. 

Warblers were in full voice with Blackcaps particularly notable along with Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff. 

Plenty of other birds are singing loudly or zipping about with beaks full of food for hungry mouths. A Robin was impatiently following me as I filled the feeders at the car park despite having a beak full of insects. Robin Morrison photographed this young Robin this week - one of four keeping parents busy:

Sandie Andrews photographed the same Blue Tit again as last week - now even busier as the demands of its growing brood increases:

I stopped a while at the first viewing platform (VP1) hoping to catch sight of a Bittern - no luck today but I did see 3 birds chasing each other here yesterday, with several delighted visitors witnessing it too. John Crispin had 2 in a chase over Loxtons this week. The first photo we believe is the female followed by the male. Note the thicker set bill and pale lores:

This individual was defending its territory last weekend in front of the second viewing platform and was seen by Sandie Andrews. Some volunteers and I were working near this area yesterday and saw one in flight. We heard it first as it was making guttural calls as it flew:

Marsh Harriers could be seen this morning from both VP1 and the Avalon Hide and offered great views at both locations. This male photographed by Jon Crispin at VP1 this week:

Red Kite have also been seen on a couple of occasions this week with 2 seen together at one point. John and Sandie's photos both taken on Saturday morning from VP1. The forked tail the best identifying feature if you are unfamiliar with these birds:

I then crossed over to Waltons and took a look around the screens and the Tor View Hide. I was able to see at least 3 pairs of Great Crested Grebes all at different stages in their parental journeys. To the left of Tor View Hide an adult was busy collecting materials to build up its nesting platform whilst opposite proud parents were feeding their stripy youngsters. Robin Morrison has also seen this nest building activity:

Whilst Will Strange has photographed the proud parents:

Another family were giving rides to the kids on the way to the Avalon Hide this morning too.

Down at the third of the Waltons screens another pair are on eggs as John Crispin's image shows:

He also photographed this bird in flight, this time from a pair at VP1:

Sandie Andrews caught this bird chasing off a rival from both his territory and his partner:

Whist at the Tor View Hide there was a right kerfuffle between a pair of Moorhen and a Coot - I can only it was a territorial thing or there were Moorhen chicks out of sight that made them more protective. It went on for a few minutes though before calming down. 

This Coot was photographed by Sandie Andrews feeding 2 of its 6 young this week:

Whist Sandie Andrews was at the Tor View Hide this week this Great White Egret dropped in to inspect what a Cormorant was up to. Perhaps guessing it was a good fishing spot. They can also be seen frequently at the Avalon Hide and VP1:

Here is the Cormorant in question. It was having a pretty successful time and had caught 4 fish in quick succession. The egret wasn't too happy about this and tried to chase the Cormorant away. The Cormorant didn't take too much notice and continued to catch one more fish before moving off. Jealousy will get you nowhere:

My last stop of my whistle stop tour was to head out to the Avalon Hide. I was hoping to spot one of the Cranes to confirm they were still active but had no luck. The male was definitely seen dropping in two days ago - didn't get any news yesterday. On counting back from our first sightings of nesting behaviour, there's a good chance they may have hatched - if indeed the eggs were viable. I guess we just wait to see what happens next. Will Strange grabbed this shot last weekend:

Several Great White Egrets were spotted at the hide on Tuesday - 9 counted along with 5 Grey Herons (still nesting in the Waltons reedbeds)  and amazingly a Purple Heron. 4 Egrets were seen on Wednesday morning too. This often occurs when there is a fish die back but don't think that's the case here. It's either a coincidence or there was an emergence of food such as froglets or perhaps dragonfly nymphs - it had been a good  couple of days for the four spotted chasers so this could be an answer. 

Also at the hide a few Pochard - just males. Good chance female birds will be on nests. In fact there seems to be good numbers of Pochard across the site which is great news. 

Also were some Canada Geese, including one with a very white face like a Barnacle Goose. Guessing its a form of lucism or albinism.

If you're here listen out for the Sedge Warblers and Reed Warblers. At one point they are opposite each other on the track - see if you can tell the difference with their songs.  

Great Spotted Woodpecker could also be heard calling in the wood. They have have nested in here most years, so look out for them. They can be seen at the car park too sometimes:

Perhaps the thing I noticed most this morning was the large increase in Four Spotted Chaser Dragonflies over the last few days. With the sunny spells triggering a large emergence. The numbers can vary each yaer but often many thousands can be seen, with the Waltons area a favourite haunt. 

John Crispin took this great shot of an individual emerging this week. Note the extra spot on each wing which gives it its name:

Robin Morrison and Sandie Andrews have also sent in their Four Spot shots:

Four Spotted Chaser: Robin Morrison

Robin also snapped these Hairy Dragonflies mating on the Waltons/Loxtons boundary:

The only other dragonflies I have seen this week were a pair of Broad Bodied Chasers which flew passed me in tandem on Tuesday. 

Damselflies are present in good numbers. Look out for Blue Tailed, Azure, Common Blue, Variable, Large Red and Banded Demoiselle (these can be seen mostly on the edges of the main drain. Look out from the old rail bridge or the road bridge before you enter the car park. 

The rail bridge has been excellent for Grass Snakes during sunny spells. At least 4 were present this morning and then all began to join together in a group - mating behaviour?  A Common Lizard was also present. 

I could also hear the croaking of the Iberian Water Frogs - Waltons and Loxtons seem to hold the biggest numbers, so if you are hearing an unusual sound this could be it. Scan the edges or within the water and weeds to see if you can spot them. Robin Morrison managed to and sent me in his shot - so you know what to look for: 

Plenty of other insects are on the wing, with butterflies always a firm favourite. Quite a number of Red Admirals were feeding on bushes in and around the car park, with both Common Carder and Early Bumblebee enjoying the foxgloves by the toilet block. Other Butterflies seen this week include: Holly Blue, Peacock, Speckled Wood, Green Veined White, Large White, Brimstone and Orange Tip. This pair was seen just before mating by Mike Pearce: 

Mike also researched an interesting fact about Orange Tips. The female lays one egg per host plant, marking it with pheromones. They do it because the caterpillar stage is cannibalistic, so this behaviour avoids offspring eating each other.

I believe the host plant to be Lady's Smock/Cuckoo Flower. These grow best in damp meadows so it's no surprise to see these plants popping up in various places around the reserve. 

Also seen during the week was a Goshawk. Reported by at least 3 people over 2 days - sightings at VP1 and the old rail bridge looking south, Some Cattle Egret seen in flight from the Avalon Hide, Kestrel seen at the car park, Common Sandpiper spotted sitting on one of the old Tern Rafts at Loxtons (see pic below), Tawny Owl chick growing well on our camera box - viewable at the refreshment kiosk at the car park, Garganey seen at VP1 along with Lapwing and Redshank, Sparrowhawk seen on a few occasions this week including one on the north of the reserve (pictured below), Little Egret seen at the Avalon Hide and reports of a Firecrest along the main path near VP1. 

Just like last week I'll leave you with a peaceful scene of a graceful Swan, taken by Will Strange last weekend:

That's it for this week. Thanks to all those who have sent in their superb photos and supporting info and anecdotes: John Crispin, Robin Morrison, Sandie Andrews, Mike Pearce & Will Strange. 

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful weekend!