Well it's been a very busy couple of weeks for me. I've been working with the reed cutting machine (Softrak) at Westhay Heath (Somerset Wildlife Trust) for 2 days last week, then 2 days with it at Ham Wall cutting in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) before having Friday off (after working 10 days straight) - hence no blog. 

This week I have been working at RSPB Greylake for 3 days cutting in their reedbeds before getting back to the VP1 reeds again yesterday. It's nice getting away to different sites for a while sometimes and enjoying some different surroundings but always nice to come "home" to Ham Wall. 

I've got plenty to get on with here - hopefully begin to speed up the reed cutting process at VP1 and get the water levels up for the autumn/winter spectacle. 

Being away and when here so focussed on reed cutting it feels I've barely had my head up to look for signs of wildlife - so I'm extremely grateful to all those who have sent photos and information to me this week. I have however, enjoyed the company of a couple of Great White Egrets whilst cutting in front of VP1 this week. Not sure this was reciprocated as they kept having to move off when I got close. This lift off become a common feature of my days this week and Sandie Andrews' photo taken on Monday looks familiar:

I didn't quite get as close as John Crispin's photos show though. I love to see these elegant birds on the reserve. John's second photo shows a particularly windswept individual from last week:

Their smaller cousins the Little Egret have been spotted on the reserve this week too - often in front of the Avalon Hide as Sandie's photo shows or from the second viewing platform (VP2):

Other heron species can also be seen: Cattle Egrets have been seen in local fields with, surprise surprise! cattle, Bitterns are present but much harder to see than a few weeks ago - just got to be in the right place at the right time - a few sightings from the Avalon Hide last week so I'm told. Grey herons are also present and over winter you never know what might turn up - hopefully the return of Glossy Ibis and perhaps even a Purple Heron - fingers crossed. 

Sandie Andrew's shot of a Grey Heron shows it carrying a frog - not sure where to. Maybe it was disturbed after catching it and didn't want to give up it's prize.

Another shot of a Little Egret now from Mike Pearce. It shows it eating a dragonfly. This was not caught in the air. The Migrant Hawker landed next to the egret and didn't live to tell the tale. It shows the varied diet of some of these birds - well known for taking fish and eels, they will also eat larvae, amphibians and clearly dragonflies - a great opportunist.

It's just as well dragonflies are on Ham Wall in good numbers. Plenty of Migrant Hawkers can be seen each day along with Ruddy Darter, Common Darter and one or two Southern Hawker.

Common Darter close up.

Ruddy Darter: Bryn Evans

Bryn's photo above is one of many bug photos he sent me this week. I'll display a few here and keep some for next week too. There are all kinds of interesting things out there if you look close enough. He has done his best with the IDs using Obsidentify - thanks Bryn:

Ichneumon wasp: Bryn Evans

Common Buff Snailkiller Marsh Fly: Bryn Evans

Apparently the larvae of these can prey on or parasitize gastropods (slugs and snails), so this next guy better watch out:

Copse Snail: Bryn Evans

Ptychoptera contaminata (these are related to Crane flies): Bryn Evans

Sandie Andrews has also sent in another creature:

Dock bug - instar nymph

Wow! it's a very different world down in the undergrowth isn't it. 

Some more conventional bugs can be seen - perhaps a favourite of many, the butterfly.

There are several species still out on the wing. I've been seeing quite a number of Red Admirals this week feeding on the remaining blackberries. I've also spotted Comma, Green Veined White, Small White and Speckled Wood but I'm sure there are more you could add to the list - Peacock for example.

Green Veined White

Speckled Wood in an early morning shaft of light: Bryn Evans

Bryn also captured this Green Carpet moth during his visit:

The hornets are still busy in the 2 nest boxes behind the car park Welcome Building and there are several bees still out collecting nectar from flowering plants. There were some Common Carder bees on the flowers by the car park loos this morning. Just like this one from Sandie Andrews:

You may have noticed we have cut the car park islands at the car park - this is part of our management here to try to encourage the growth of flowering plants. By removing the cuttings each year the areas should become more nutrient deprived and favour the flowering plants. We have left some areas uncut for invertebrates to over winter in.

Whist clearing the cut vegetation yesterday the volunteers found this wonderful caterpillar from the Pale Tussock Moth and one of our wonderful volunteers Chris Cardno has sent these in:

It's a great time of year to study invertebrates, before the birds really start to show again and move around.

It has started: wintering duck such as Wigeon and Teal are being spotted - Teal in particular, although no obvious males as many birds are still in an eclipse plumage. Hirundines (martins and Swallows) have shown a mass exodus over the last couple of weeks although they can still be seen in small numbers - especially Swallows who tend to leave just a little later. 

Reed and Sedge Warblers are still being spotted. They could be birds that have bred here or birds having a feed up on their way back south. Sandie Andrews has sent in pictures of both this week. Note the streakiness of the Sedge Warbler plumage and the eye stripe:

Reed Warbler

Many Chiffchaffs now tend to overwinter with us rather than migrate. There were a great number last winter and this year should be no different. They can still be heard singing daily around the reserve - perhaps this extended summer sun is inspiring them to keep being tuneful. 

Chiffchaff

We'll soon see plenty of change over as the weeks pass. The place will begin to fill with Wigeon and Teal and growing numbers of Gadwall, Mallard, Shoveler, Tufted Duck and Pochard and the odd, more unusual duck which some observant visitors love to pick out of the crowd. 

Waders too will move and we should be visited by a few hundred Lapwing and many other species.

Snipe (usually singles) have been seen flying over on most days often calling in flight. I flushed one from the VP1 islands this week. Once the water levels come up when cutting is complete, we should see a far more favourable habitat for waders here. 

A Green Sandpiper was seen briefly at the Avalon Hide yesterday (see Mike Pearce's photo) and there were 2 here on Wednesday. A Redshank was also heard calling from VP1 on Tuesday.

The Avalon Hide has been one of the places to see Bearded Tits recently. This week was no exception as Sandie Andrew's photos show. These were seen on the way to the hide this week but they have also been seen from the Tor View Hide recently. This time of year is a good time to look for them, as they gather together in larger groups before dispersing.

They will also change their diet to an exclusively reed seed diet as the weather changes. We will be putting out some grit trays for them at certain locations next week to assist them. They will take in grit like many birds to help deal with a more efficient digestion of seeds.

We will give you the locations in next week's blog once they are out.

Bearded Tit Male

Bearded Tit female

Bearded Tit female with juvenile

Look out also for Reed Buntings perching up in reeds - also feeding on the seeds throughout the winter. I would have an educated guess that these species suffer more during cold winters as the amount of energy needed to survive from these seeds alone would hard to obtain.

Reed Bunting female

If you are heading up to the Tor View Hide approach quietly. There's always a chance that you will see Water Rail here. We are aware that the reed regrowth here is already getting higher. We will come back and cut it again soon, once this extended warm period stops and growth reduces/stops. 

John Crispin took this image during the week of Water Rail - 

John also mentioned to me this week that he saw a group of 19 cormorants in flight, visible from VP1 on Sunday. I would say this is a fairly unusual sight for Ham Wall. They are usually seem in very small groups or flying alone. This individual was snapped by John this week swimming quite low in the water:

Also this week: a few Marsh Harrier sightings - often seen on the cut islands from VP1 of over at the Avalon Hide, Green Woodpecker seen and heard at the car park on several days this week including this morning, Wheatear seen on a gate near the Avalon Hide, Peregrine seen from VP1 on Thursday along with 3 Jays in the wood distantly (which I also saw this morning), Kingfisher seen fishing from the post and rail at VP1 yesterday and also from Tor View Hide this week, c100 Greylag Geese roosting in the area in front of VP2 each night currently and Ravens heard and seen flying over each day.

Before I go I've been asked to share some upcoming events from our visitor team: 

Bookable bespoke guided walks – 24 October, 03, 12, 17 and 21 November, 01 and 08 December 2023 and 08, 19 and 23 January 2024- 10:30am – 1.30pm

If you're planning a visit, you can book a volunteer guide for a 3 hour guided walk! We'll tailor each walk to suit your needs and focus on the wildlife you want to see (as the wildlife is, well, wild, we can't always guarantee what you'll see, but we'll try our hardest). Our bookable bespoke walks make an excellent gift for nature lovers!

Family bird watching guided walk – 01 October 2023 10:30am – 1pm

Learn to tell your Great Tits from your Coal Tits and your Great White Egrets from your Grey Herons. Join us on a family friendly walk around RSPB Ham Wall as we see how many different birds we can spot, whilst learning more about their different behaviours. Walk is suitable for ages 8+.

Bird watching guided walk – 14 October 2023 10:30am – 1pm

Join us on a walk around RSPB Ham Wall as we see how many different birds we can spot during the Autumn, whilst learning more about their different behaviours. Many wading birds arrive at the reserve during Autumn for the Winter months, and birds can be spotted foraging for berries in the trees and hedgerows.

Bird watching for beginners guided walk – 30th October 2023 10:30am – 1pm

Learn to tell your great tits from your coal tits and your dunnocks from your house sparrows. This is a fun event aimed at beginners, designed to arm you with knowledge on identifying different birds, and attracting them to your own outdoor space. 

For more info and to book any of the above events, please visit https://events.rspb.org.uk/hamwall.

That's it for this week. Thanks to all who have sent me in their amazing photos and interesting information - it's a massive help and really appreciated: John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Mike Pearce, Bryn Evans & Chris Cardno - thank you.

I hope you've enjoyed your read. Have a great weekend.