Firstly, apologies for the missing blog last Friday. I was attending a course to learn about Adders to help with the surveying effort across the Avalon Marshes. In the end I just didn't get back to the office in time. 

The course was very interesting though and the plight of Adders in the marshes is a little precarious, so anything we can do to help these creatures will be beneficial. Populations are small and isolated, so very vulnerable to problems through inbreeding or natural events eg flooding causing problems with hibernation sites. We will be building some homemade hibernation sites ourselves on higher ground to give them extra security. Some have already been seen at Shapwick and a site adjacent to Ham Wall this week during the first surveys. so that's good news. Grass Snake and Common Lizard have also been spotted by the old rail bridge as you walk onto Ham Wall.

Having mentioned flooding I'd better address that first. Water levels are still high across the site, despite us pumping 24/7 since the last deluge a few weeks ago. We are making headway - most of the tracks and banks around the reserve are accessible, but all the compartments are still full - we have started (tentatively) bringing some water down in each of the sections in front of both viewing platforms (VP1 & VP2). It will be a while before you see any significant difference though. 

The Avalon Hide remains off limits due to water still lying across the path. We will need to check the structure of the hide and the ramp (as it's been sat in water for around 3 months) before even thinking about reopening. It will then need a good clean out as the Barn Owls which use it too will have had a right old party in there with no disturbance. I'm expecting quite a bit of cleaning up to do. We will also need to make good the path - clear it of all the sediment dropped on it and firm it up where we can with some stone. Checking trees that may have moved in wet and windy conditions is also a consideration. We will get there though and spring is here and drier weather will come.

Spring is beginning - more flowers are out such as Celandine and bumblebees and other insects are being spotted - Peacock & Brimstone butterflies seen last week in the sunny spells. Blackthorn blossom is also out in many places:

Birdsong is increasing gradually - been nice to hear the Chiffchaffs singing again, joining in with the Song Thrush (pictured), Blackbird, Robin, Great Tit, Goldfinch and Dunnock (pictured) to name just a few. 

Song Thrush puffing itself up to keep warm: Sandie Andrews.

Dunnock: Bryn Evans

In the reed beds and surrounding scrub, Reed Buntings have been heard singing and Cettis Warblers are belting out their loud calls. It's probably the best time of year to see them as they perch and call to defend their territories - the leaves will soon come on the trees, making sightings a little harder:

Another loud bird and even harder to see is the Water Rail. There have been a couple of sightings this week though - one from the Tor View Hide (a bit of a hot spot) and another in the ditch which runs up behind the toilets and passes under the boardwalk bridges that exit the car park. 

Way more obvious are the Grey Herons which are well underway with nesting in the Waltons reedbeds. Always lots of noise from these birds and plenty of coming and going: 

Great White Egrets have also now begun to set up nest sites across the Avalon Marshes. I've seen several this morning on my travels. Note the change in plumage along with bill & leg colour changes of these birds. 

Bills now moving from yellow to grey (with the green lores - where the bill meets the head) and legs have a reddish tinge:

Great White Egret: Bryn Evans

Another long legged bird was spotted on Sunday with another 8 companions. 9 Cranes flew over the reserve - not seen any for a little while myself so it was a real treat for those who saw them and even got a couple of photos off: 

Bitterns are also present - you'll certainly hear them on your visit. Well into double figures of booming males noted across the site. Sightings can be a little harder to come by (2 on Monday from VP1) but chances will increase over the next couple of months as females are chased by males or are making feeding flights for hungry youngsters. Toby Fogg managed these shots last week from VP2:

Another sign of spring last week was the arrival of the first Sand Martins of the season. A few sightings over the past couple of weeks but as far as I'm aware it's just been ones and twos so far (I'm yet to see my first). The next few weeks will see all sorts of new arrivals dropping into the reserve - very exciting. 

There are still some wintering birds around though although these are reducing. A few Wigeon are still being spotted as well as Teal, although duck in general are looking like they are pairing off a bit more. Drops in the numbers on people's WeBS counts supports this. Mallard, Gadwall, Shoveler, Tufted Duck and Pochard also seen throughout the week along with a pair of Pintail from VP1 on Monday and a Garganey heard calling on the reserve yesterday morning (pretty sure there have been a couple overwintering in the Avalon Marshes this winter). 

This Sparrowhawk dropped in last weekend - I'm not sure what the Shoveler was making of the situation here:

I have to say that I haven't seen a Fieldfare for a little while now although Redwing have still been pretty common up to this week but will certainly disappear very soon. Around 30 were seen together on the western edge of Waltons last week and photographed by John Crispin: 

Look out in the tree lines too for Siskin and to a lesser extent Redpoll. This individual was seen after the Adder survey training on Friday 8th at the boardwalk exit towards Shapwick from the car park:

Look out also for: Goldcrest, Bullfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker (heard drumming), Long Tailed Tits and Treecreeper (seen near VP2 this week).

Perhaps some of the most obvious and active birds have been the Marsh Harriers. VP1 and VP2 are both good vantage points for these. Birds have been seen carrying nesting material, interacting with each other in the air and carrying food. One one occasion a female had food stolen from her by a Buzzard:

This pair were seen interacting acrobatically last Sunday:

Possibly the same pair here:

Here's some lovely close up shots of a male hunting in front of VP1 this week:

Also from VP1 this week were a group of Black Headed Gulls, Multiple birds made nesting attempts here last year - if we can get the water down they may try again (they are showing some mating interest):

Cormorants love perching on these rails too. This one is in a great breeding plumage:

Great Crested Grebes are still displaying and have been spotted mating and attempting nest building. Toby Fogg's pictures were taken in Waltons last week. The second shot showing the amazing lobed foot of the grebe - perfectly adapted for life in the water:

Elegant birds, it has to be said. The same can be said of this beautiful swan, this shot captured wonderfully by Sandie Andrews:

Not sure I can say the same for the Canada Goose. I find them a bit noisy and annoying but perhaps people have said the same of me, so I shouldn't be too mean. Some Canada Goose action shots here from Sandie Andrews:

Also this week: male Hen Harrier seen over the reserve this morning and yesterday, Tawny Owl in our camera box (you can see this in the car park building) and one was heard calling at the car park yesterday too, a couple of sightings Red Kite this week including yesterday, Redshank from VP1 yesterday, Lapwing from VP2 this week, Peregrine over the reserve on Mar 6th, Roe Deer spotted around the tracks (sometimes sitting and resting - see photo below), Weasel seen again on the stone gabions at VP1), Woodcock seen in our wet woodland on Mar 5th, Kingfishers seen at several places including Waltons & VP1, Raven seen over the car park on several occasions and 11 seen together last week over the Avalon Marshes Centre, Cattle Egrets still being seen in good numbers (flocks of 100+ ) in local fields & Egyptian Geese seen over the reserve quite frequently(pictured below):

Roe deer taking a rest - Bryn Evans 

That's it for now. It's a bit of an essay this week with so much to report. Thanks to all who have contributed photos over the last fortnight: John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Mike Pearce, Bryn Evans and Toby Fogg. 

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful weekend!