Could it be that Autumn has finally arrived? There's definitely more of an autumnal feel about the reserve this week. This change in weather may well be the final trigger for many birds to move off to warmer regions or indeed feel it's time to pop over to the Somerset Levels to spend the winter. Many plants are turning much browner and leaves are beginning to fall. Sandie Andrews took these shots this week, which definitely have the Autumn feel about them. The first is a fern on the turn and the second I believe to be some Old Man's Beard, also know as Travellers Joy - a type of wild clematis. Please correct me if I'm wrong - always happy to learn:

I agree with Sandie, when she says that the water droplets sitting on plants and cobwebs each morning add real vibrancy and beauty to the reserve.

Some of the bugs too seem to be dressed in their best autumn colours, such as this Bottlefly:

Others of course are still very brightly coloured with plenty of Red Admirals being seen during the sunny spells. The main path in particular, as it faces south, has been a literal hot spot. The sheltered areas with Ivy are particularly busy for insects - it's a great late nectar source. Other butterflies seen include: Peacock, Speckled Wood and Comma. 

Some dragonflies are also still being seen daily: Migrant Hawker, Southern Hawker, Ruddy Darter & Common Darter are the only species left really. As I've mentioned before, the harsher frosts, when they start usually finishes them off.

Plenty of other insects can be seen if you look hard enough. Hoverflies, Bumblebees and some Hornets are still around and some more unusual species - or at least things you may often overlook. This is a Common Tiger Fly (Coenosia tigrina) - they hunt other flying insects:

Swallows are still moving through the reserve heading south, although in much smaller numbers than before. A couple of Sand Martins have also been spotted throughout the week. 

With these birds leaving, it's often the birds arriving that then get noticed. Fieldfares and Redwings are often a sign that Autumn is here and they have been seen this week (Redwings) but just one or two. John Crispin was on hand to grab this photo of this week:

Another bird which visits us over winter is the Stonechat. They often fly ahead of me in the reed cutting machine perching on tops of reeds with the familiar tail flicking behaviour. I've yet to see my first one but some visitors have reported them to me, whilst John Crispin and Sandie Andrews have sent me in photos both taken this week:

Wigeon and Teal are winter visitors too. Often in good numbers - were at just and handful of each at the moment. These birds are being spotted at the Avalon Hide, the second viewing platform (VP2) and Waltons whilst a Teal was also spotted flying over the car park and from the first viewing platform (VP1). 

Other ducks are available of course. Gadwall are perhaps the most numerous along with Mallard but look out also for Pochard, Shoveler and Tufted Duck - all seen from the Avalon Hide throughout the week. Mike Pearce has sent in his shots of a female Tufted Duck taken earlier this week. The markings around the bill seem quite prevalent in this individual:

Another bird spotted passing through this week was the Hobby seen on a couple of occasions. Good place to stop and feed up before carrying on their journey to Northern Africa. This one was snapped by Robert Spencer on Saturday making a grab for its prey:

Robert was also lucky enough to see a bat out feeding in the daytime. I'm not hot on my bat species, so any IDs would be welcome:

I think this may have been from the old rail bridge on the main track. Look out here, as always. for Grass Snakes. Several sightings here this week, including one swimming, and 3 seen together on Saturday. 2 Common Lizard were also recorded here over the weekend. As this weather changes the thoughts of these creatures will turn to a long winter sleep and this bridge is a known hibernation site. 

Thanks again to Robert Spencer, who was able to obtain a couple of Grass Snake shots during his visit:

I was working on Saturday and I'm not surprised to hear that people were seeing the snakes. It was a very warm day. 

Visitors had also reported to me that they had seen a Bittern from the Avalon Hide. Sightings over autumn and winter drop quite significantly when compared to the spring and summer but they still move around occasionally - also sightings from Waltons and VP2 this week. 

At VP1 look out for the Great White Egrets. They seem to be out there most of the time on the newly cut areas. We have made good progress this week and am hoping to have it completed by the end of next week as long as nothing throws a spanner in the works. We will then need to slowly raise the water levels in here to make some nice splashy habitat for ducks and waders to enjoy over the winter. 

Work will then begin on some of the reedbed that the Avalon Hide faces - we are currently lowering water levels in here slowly in preparation of this. 

The Great White Egrets can be seen here too but it's usually at VP1 where the best views are. We were there working with machinery yesterday and this morning and they didn't seem too bothered by our presence. Maybe they have got used to the hustle and bustle of the machinery and they know it's not a threat. John Crispin got these images this week of one individual having a good preen this week:

Little Egrets have also been present this week seen both from the Avalon Hide and VP1. 

In the wider countryside look out for Cattle Egrets. There were well over 300 in fields near Mudgeley this morning as I travelled into work. I did stop briefly and take a quick shot from my car window but it does the scene no justice at at all. They were quite well spread out so this is just part of the flock but gives you and idea:

Great White Egrets are one of those birds you are almost certain to see on a visit to Ham Wall. Another is the Marsh Harrier. Daily sightings this week from all parts of the reserve really. 

Shots here of a male (from the plumage this may not be a full adult) and a hunting female (taken from VP1) and a further shot from Mike Pearce, all taken this week:

A bird you are less likely to see but at this time of year have a better chance, is the Bearded Tit. They gather in groups over September and October before dispersing. Hot spots appear to be at or on the way to the Avalon Hide or to the west of VP1 but they have also been seen over at Waltons and from VP2 this week. These shots were taken by Mike Pearce from the Avalon Hide yesterday:

Also this week: Ravens seen flying over yesterday, Red Kite seen over the reserve on Tuesday, 2 Jays in the air near the Avalon Hide this morning, Lapwing seen over the VP1 area yesterday (be patient Lapwing, it will be ideal for you soon), Snipe seen from the Avalon Hide on Wednesday, Treecreeper and Siskin both seen in the wood near the Avalon Hide also on Wednesday, Kingfisher seen from VP1 on Saturday (heard one here this morning), Common Tern and Med Gull both seen to the far south of the reserve over the weekend, Sparrowhawk seen from VP1 on Saturday and late on Saturday a Barn Owl seen hunting the grounds to the south of the old rail bridge. 

That's it for this week. Thanks to all who have contributed their amazing photos and valuable information: John Crispin, Mike Pearce, Sandie Andrews and Robert Spencer. 

Have a great weekend all and thanks for reading.