This might have to be a slightly shorter blog than normal - although I have said this many times before and failed. Running low on time as always.

Spent quite a bit of time walking around parts of the reserve this morning trying to hold back water from certain places and move it though others. Hopefully the levels will gradually begin to fall (although more heavy rain showers falling on already saturated ground is not helping). It may be several days before the Avalon Hide path is accessible again.

It's good news and bad news for some wildlife. Wetter fields in the surrounding area has proved profitable for some wading birds and the Cattle Egrets have been splashing around in fields near Mudgeley.  I pass these most mornings on my way in to work across the moors from Wells. Thanks to Mike Uren who has sent me a selection taken this week:

It can have more negative impacts on wildlife such as small mammals and insects. Bryn Evans was out on the reserve on Saturday after last weeks storms and was able to photograph this Wood Mouse which was forced out of cover by rising waters:

Insect life will suffer too with wetter weather and colder temperatures. For some it is the end, such as this was found by Bryn Evans:

As I've mentioned in previous blogs it's the colder snaps and frosts which eventually see off the dragonflies and drive any remaining butterflies into hibernation. During sunny spells this week (yes there have been a few) you can still spot Common and Ruddy Darter Dragonflies out on the wing and if you are lucky any remaining Migrant Hawkers. I was seeing darters on the wing this morning along with A fair few Red Admiral Butterfly and a single Speckled Wood. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shot of Common Darter taken yesterday:

There are still a few plants in flower (such as the Red Clover taken by Bryn Evans below) along with Ivy, which are proving a great late nectar source. A good number of hoverflies, bumblebees, wasps and the occasional hornet can be seen busily feeding when the sun is out.

Bryn Evans has once again been busy photographing and researching some of the reserves insects - it's not easy, as many species are quite similar. Here's a selection:

Muscina sp.

Another Muscina sp.

Leaf Beetle Donacia genus most likely Marginata sp

Parent Bug

Rove Beetle: Genus Paederus one of 2 species - they have different colour mandibles - so if they sit still long enough it may be possible to ID. Let's leave it to the experts to decide.

Here's another from Mike Pearce - a Silver Y moth:

With all the extra water you have probably noticed that the area in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) is now pretty high. The Canada Geese seem to like it and there has been a fair selection of ducks and waders spotted here this week. 

Canada Geese

This morning as I passed I saw Tufted Duck, Mallard, Teal, Wigeon, Shoveler and Gadwall - not bad in a few seconds. around 200 Gadwall were counted in Waltons at one point this week too. I have photographs of 3 of the above taken this last week:

Mallard

Wigeon

Shoveler

In terms of waders look out for groups of Lapwing which have been frequenting the area as well as small groups of Snipe. On Monday a single Black Tailed Godwit was spotted (pictured) and on Wednesday 2 were present and seen swimming. A Green Sandpiper also popped up and flew a short distance. 

With all these birds gathering it's no surprise to see the Marsh Harriers spending a lot of time in this area. This one was photographed settled on the islands at VP1 by John Crispin this week:

Robert Spencer has also sent in a couple of shots taken last weekend. Thanks Robert:

Another bird spotted from VP1 this week also came and sat for a while before being chased off by a Carrion Crow - this Sparrowhawk:

VP1 is also a good place to see Great White Egrets - there was certainly one out there this morning. When the main drain through the site has been high they have also been fishing along its banks in the company of Grey Herons too - these photos all from Sandie Andrews:

Also from VP1 this morning were several Cormorants - many sunning themselves, with their familiar poses with wings outstretched. This one was photographed by Sandie Andrews last Friday morning from the Avalon Hide (just before the path was completely inaccessible):

For Bitterns it's just be in the right place at the right time I think. John Crispin who took the shot below has seen one land in the reeds beyond the VP1 area and another which flew over VP1 before landing in Waltons:

On my walk around this morning, it was nice to see a good looking male Stonechat perched up. A few sightings of both male and female this week - often together. Robert Spencer took this shot on Saturday:

Along the main path look out for a variety of tits, finches as well as Robin and Blackbird. Redpoll and Siskin have both been spotted recently and you may be lucky enough to catch sight of a Bullfinch, Goldcrest or Treecreeper. This Treecreeper was snapped yesterday by Sandie Andrews. It looks to be using its tail to take some of its body weight as it appears the claws are barely doing anything. I do love to see a Treecreeper:

Also this week: 6 Little Egrets flying over the reserve on Sunday, Kingfishers seen at Waltons, VP1 and VP2 this week, a Goldeneye seen just off the SE corner of Waltons, Green Woodpecker heard calling at the car park on Wednesday, 10 Bearded Tits flew over the old rail bridge yesterday, a Tawny Owl was heard calling towards the far end of the reserve yesterday, Ravens seen and heard over the car park on Wednesday, a Common Tern seen from VP1 yesterday along with a juvenile Arctic Tern seen elsewhere on the reserve (photo below).

I'm going to leave it there for this week - and next week too I'm afraid as I will be away - so no blog next week.

Thanks for reading though even if it was a little bit of a rushed blog. Have a great couple of weeks!