Well I don't usually like to bang on about the weather but the theme of the week is most definitely about the rain. After the last deluge we had about 3 weeks ago it took us 2 weeks of pumping 24/7 to get back to normal levels on the pathways. Then Sunday into Monday came and we are now right back where we started and a whole lot worse. 

Water has been pouring into the reserve from every side and in some areas to levels I have never seen before and my work here dates back to autumn 2004. 

The main drain has been over topping and flowing across the main track (and was still this morning albeit a bit slower) meaning the whole of the north side is filling up. We can't pump until the main drain drops though, so the Avalon Hide is inaccessible - no great surprise - this has happened before. The big surprise is on the south where water has poured into the back of Waltons making the Trail unwalkable and the boardwalk to the screens and the Tor View Hide is well under water too and floating up in some places - so no access here either I'm afraid. 

Good news is the car park is open along with the toilets and other buildings and we are grateful to have the raised main path through the reserve, which gives great views across the reserve. Here's a few pics of the reserve over the last couple of days - courtesy of Mike Pearce: 

Main drain - has been over topping to the left/north and filling every section.

Waltons screens

Tor View Hide path - over wellington depth 

Here's a Heron stood in the water here on Tuesday to give you an idea - it's got deeper since then:

Despite all this there is wildlife to see - just be warned that you are probably restricted to the main path only - it will take a long time for this to drop and I think there is more rain on the way. Hopefully not a lot. 

I was in last Saturday - before the rain. The difference here was that it was very cold. The temperature didn't lift over -2C all day day and the mist didn't lift either (but at least it was dry). 

I could see maybe 30 or 40m ahead of me so it wasn't a dead loss. A Marsh Harrier was hunting over Waltons and a Water Pipit was in front of the Tor View Hide - seen again on Tuesday before it was cut off by "the tide". It could still be around in the Waltons area so scan over from the main path as you walk down. 

The mist and frost do make for a bit of atmosphere though on a wetland I think. Sandie Andrews has sent me some more frosty pictures this week:

Bryn Evans has been sending me lots of bug photos recently but as suspected not many around on Saturday in the frost. Did get this piece of evidence though:

We should spare a thought when conditions are such, how hard it must be for wildlife living here:

Redpoll in the frost. There were small groups working along the tree lines on the main path this morning. 

Pied Wagtail opposite the second viewing platform (VP2) on Saturday followed by the picture below in kinder conditions on Tuesday from Sandie Andrews.

Another Contrast a couple of days apart. Looking cold and wet though and trying to plump up feathers in the cold to help trap air to keep warmer. 

Can't be easy for birds such as the Great White Egret trying to find food in these conditions. Shot by Bryn Evans on Saturday at VP2. Of course it got much milder after this and then the rains came. The rising levels in Waltons caught out a Great White Egret this week as it came into land at a spot familiar to it, it misjudged the depth and ended up belly deep with a splash. It did eventually find some terra firma and more secure footing. 

Bryn Evans : Jay - another bird in the search for food - starting on its cache of acorns already?

Blackbird: Bryn Evans

This Blackbird was rifling through the leaf litter looking intently for any morsels it uncovers - ditto the Robin below also from Bryn:

I did notice on Saturday on my walk around that I was followed intently by Robins. Every time I turned round there was one right next to me looking at me as if asking for food.

Mute Swans: Bryn Evans

The swans were in a sheltered spot. The constant movement from the keeps the ice from freezing over and allows them to feed more easily. In very cold spells you will see duck gathered together in groups wherever the ice is still open - you can end up with a lot of birds in a small space sometimes. If it freezes over completely they are then driven out. 

The Snipe that were sitting on the cut islands at Waltons have now been pushed out by the rising waters. You can see them below sat in the frost on Saturday and then they were present until Tuesday before the rising waters moved them elsewhere:

The last picture from Sandie shows them sat together. Not long after this a Marsh Harrier flew over and they all laid down flat and seemingly avoided eye contact with the bird of prey - this technique worked on this occasion and the Marsh Harrier flew on by. 

Marsh Harriers can be seen daily and are seen every morning scouring over the reedbeds once the Starlings have left the roost site. 

Apart from the Snipe the only other waders reported to me were these Lapwing which were spotted flying over this morning. Nowhere to land here - they will most likely end up in some wetter fields in the local area - often a good place to see birds such as Cattle Egrets too:

It's not just birds that find it hard in the colder and wetter conditions. Small mammals can be particularly hard hit. Often waking from hibernation in need of food. This Field Vole has been seen frequently in the little Wildlife Garden behind the Welcome Building at the car park. It's been living in the log pile:

Larger mammals may fair a little better. The most likely one to see would be Roe Deer. These 2 were sat at Loxtons earlier this week and looked a bit cold and wet. Sandie decided to turn back and leave them to it rather than disturb them:

Grey Squirrels are being seen quite frequently too. This one was spotted tucking into some berries this week by Mike Pearce:

Duck numbers remain pretty high - surprise surprise. Plenty of Teal being counted from the first viewing platform (VP1). They often react to the passing over of any Marsh Harriers giving you a good opportunity to count them. Other species present such as Tufted Duck, Gadwall, Mallard and Shoveler seem far less or not at all bothered. Other species on site include Wigeon and Pochard.

Teal

In the tree lines look out for smaller birds such as Redpoll and Siskin along with the usual array of Tits and Finches. Long Tailed Tits usually make themselves fairly obvious, moving around in large groups with constant contact calls. You may also be luck enough to see Treecreeper, Bullfinch, Goldcrest or even Firecrest. Firecrest was spotted again this week from the boardwalk leading out towards Shapwick Heath from the Car Park. It would be worth checking the main track between the two car park boardwalks to give yourselves a good chance of a sighting. 

The car park feeders provide a good selection of birds plus the occasional visit from Great Spotted Woodpecker, although these can be seen around the rest of the reserve too. Keep your ears and eyes open around the car park for Green Woodpecker too - a pretty frequent visitor over the past year or so:

Reedbed birds maybe a little harder to come by if you are confined to the main track. No reports of Bearded Tits this week - most likely in inaccessible areas. Water Rails will be calling, as will Cettis Warblers - both pretty loudly. The most likely contender will be the Reed Bunting - they even visit the bird feeders, sometimes sit in the trees or can be seen picking up grit of the tracks to aid the digestion of seeds:

Reed Bunting female

Also this week: 2 Egyptian geese flew past VP1 this morning, a few sightings of Sparrowhawk (VP1 & VP2), Kestrel seen from VP1, Woodcock seen twice on Sunday - once from the wood distant from VP1 and then from VP1 itself, a Merlin over the car park on Tuesday, Buzzards daily and a couple of Bittern flights from VP1. 

I'm going to leave it there for this week and indeed next week as I am on annual leave - got to use it up before the end of the month - so no blog next week. Thanks as always to the wonderful contributions of photos and information: John Crispin, Mike Pearce, Sandie Andrews and Bryn Evans.

Keep your eyes on our social media posts with regards to accessibility etc (Facebook and X (Twitter) just in case anything changes and have a great weekend.