Well, it certainly feels as like spring has stalled a little this week - colder weather, showers and even a little snow at the weekend. Any migrant birds hitting our shores for their spring/summer break must be wondering why they bothered. This shot was taken late last week by Robin Morrison of a great crested grebe caught in a snow shower. Thanks Robin:

Some slightly warmer looking grebes now - the first taking a sensible sized fish, the next one being rather more greedy. Thanks again to Robin Morrison for his photos: 

Also, a slightly more unusual sight from John Crispin - a great crested grebe in flight. They are not particularly flighty birds if disturbed - will often just watch you from a distance or dive to "safety" so they can often catch you out when they fly past before you realise what it is. Thanks John:

There are some still displaying at the moment and at least 2 on nests - one at the first viewing platform (VP1) and another I saw this morning on the way to the Avalon Hide - it's on the right as you walk up towards the wood. 

Despite the slightly colder weather birds are still singing well and there have been some new arrivals. A few more willow warblers are now present and singing, I had my first reed warbler and sedge warbler of the season this morning (although the latter has been spotted as far back as last weekend). Blackcaps too are increasing in number. I had two this morning constantly trying to outdo each other in the singing stakes and were also getting a bit aggressive. Another pair were on the wooden boardwalk that leads out of the car park - opposite each other trying to out-sing each other - territories are at stake here! Thanks to John Crispin for his trio of blackcap photos:

Other birds are beginning to belt out song as well: blackbird, robin and song thrush to name a few. A Mistle thrush was also singing well this morning from the top of an oak on the main path (between the platforms). 

I saw my first sand martin on Wednesday, although they have been around in small numbers for a couple of weeks. c20 swallows were also seen over Waltons the same day. House martins have also been reported. There was also a report of a swift from one visitor apparently - quite early but you never know. There were a couple of hobby sightings too - we often get the odd one early in the season and they have been known to take weaker martins and swallows.

Some birds are much further ahead than others. These coots were snapped last week with some fluffy youngsters by Robin Morrison - thanks Robin: 

Other than the hobby, many birds of prey are being spotted too - most notably the marsh harriers. I spotted 2 different males this morning. A well marked male flew in front of VP1 (not close in) and another less well marked male was in front of the Avalon Hide. 

Buzzards are seen daily, a peregrine was seen last weekend, whilst a kestrel flew over the car park on Monday (4th). An osprey was also reported flying south over VP1 on Monday. 

The tawny owl is still sat on eggs in our nest cam box - you can view this on the TV in the Welcome Building in the car park, when it's open. Barn owls are also now being seen more regularly, either from VP1 in the woods at the back or by looking at the same woodland from the left hand side of the Avalon Hide. Thanks to both Sandie Andrews and Mike Pearce who snapped these individuals on Saturday 2nd: 

Barn owls are certainly a favourite. We will be out to check the owl boxes in late May or early June to see how they are getting on and perhaps ring some owlets - I will keep you posted.

Another favourite and easy spot is the great white egret - good numbers are already nesting on both Ham Wall and Shapwick Heath, which is great news. They can often be seen from VP1 or the Avalon Hide. Thanks to Sandie Andres and Mike Pearce again for their shots of these, now commonplace, birds:

Other heron species are available of course. Grey herons continue to nest in a few places, including within the Waltons reedbeds - you can often hear them calling and they can be spotted from the screens. Occasional little egrets can be seen - including one this morning near the Avalon Hide and cattle egrets are still being seen in the  local area - in fact 6 or 7 were in the field next to the Avalon Marshes Centre (our offices) yesterday. 

Bitterns continue to boom - many throughout the day. The second booming bittern survey takes place next week - I will bring you the results next Friday. Occasional sightings of bitterns this week, including one this morning sat out in the open on the way to the Avalon Hide - to the delight of a group of visitors.

The glossy ibis which was present for a couple of weeks or so was last seen, last weekend - there is one at Catcott still so perhaps it's touring the local reserves. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shot taken on Saturday 2nd from VP1:

VP1 has been one of the places to see garganey this week (plus VP2 and within Waltons/Tor View Hide). As many as 9 were reported by one visitor. Thank you to John Crispin and Andrew Kirby who have sent in their shots taken this week:

Plenty of other duck can be spotted around the reserve. Quite a large group of shoveler visible from VP2 - many displaying in pairs. Gadwall, pochard, tufted duck, mallard and a few teal also present. Pintail (one male, 3 female) have also been spotted from VP1 last weekend and they have since been using the Waltons areas.

Ruff have done something similar with 2 birds being seen from the Tor View Hide this morning (having also been seen from VP1 earlier in the week). 2 Redshank have also been seen in the location. Thanks to John Crispin, Andrew Kirby and Mike Pearce who have all sent me their ruff photos taken this week:

Lapwing have also been displaying in front of VP1 on a couple of occasions and there are still snipe about in certain areas - think that finishes of the wader sightings for the week. 

With the weather how it is there have been fewer butterfly sightings this week and I'm yet to improve on my 4 species from last week: comma, small tortoiseshell, brimstone and peacock. Also still awaiting the first dragonflies and damselflies of the season - won't be long now. 

There are a few bumblebees around too - thanks to Sandie Andrews for this shot. It's head on, so I'm not certain but it could be either white tailed or buff tailed bumblebee - both about in early spring. More than happy to be corrected - I'm not a bee expert.

Also spotted this week: drumming woodpecker in the central wood near the Avalon Hide(willow warbler in there too), bearded tits heard in front of the Avalon Hide this morning (but not seen), a grass snake seen around the pools in the car park, a pair of jays flying close to VP2, raven seen flying over the reserve, redpolls spotted along the main path in the Loxtons area and a pair of brambling seen close to VP2 on the main path (a group of 20 was spotted last weekend. Thanks to John Crispin for his beautiful brambling shots: 

That's it for this week. After last week's photos from Sandie of mute swans mirroring each other I thought I'd round off with some more synchronised swan action. This time in flight - thanks to Robin Morrison for this lovely photo:

Thanks for reading - have a great weekend!