It's been another very busy week for us at the reserve this week. As I mentioned in the last blog the bridge beyond the second viewing platform (VP2) was being installed this week. Thankfully, it all went without a hitch and they were done and dusted in less than 3 days.

After such a long time closed, it is great to have something back open and the old "Ham Wall Loop" open to the public again. It's the red marked trail on the reserve maps. I took a couple of photos this morning just to show you. I think it looks fab:

As you can see from the second photo, the old bridge is still there. This one belongs to the Environment Agency and will be removed sometime in the future. 

Also this week staff and volunteers assisted some contractors with the installation of some shiny new tern rafts. Two are currently floating on the edge of Waltons (visible from the screens) and one at Loxtons (pictured). We have some anchors for them but will buy some more before pulling them into place. Common Terns have bred on the reserve in the past on the old, now falling apart, rafts (we will remove these during the winter too) - so fingers crossed for the future. 

If you are looking closely and thinking you can see terns on them already - you are half right. These are decoys designed to attract other birds in. The little shelters are for any potential chicks to hide under from potential predators such as Crows or Gulls. A covering of old cockle shells should make them feel at home:

With all this going on I have also managed to cut one further island in front of the first viewing platform (VP1). 2 more to go and then a recut on those lush looking ones on the east before we can raise water levels once more to create a great splashy area for waders and ducks alike. 

I have had Great White Egrets for company each time I'm out there and they can be seen each day from VP1 - one was even perched on the rails this week as John Crispin's photograph shows. This morning there were also individuals present from VP2 and the Avalon Hide:

Bearded Tits have again been spotted from VP1 this week. A few sightings or often just audible of the eastern side. The section further to the west - just before the woodland block has been a good place too. 20+ in there yesterday during the survey - not got the full results yet but hoping to beat last week's total of 112 for the reserve. The weather has been kind - warm, still days at this time of year is probably the best time to see them. Further sightings from the Avalon Hide today (to the west) and on the stretches of reedbed on the way there from the main path. 

I mentioned that we put a few grit trays out for the Bearded Tits last week. They did have some visitors but not the customers we were expecting. This Wren and Robin came into inspect this one during the week and were photographed by Mike Pearce: 

Wait a minute, this isn't bird food!

Not many Bittern sightings reported to me this week -  not unusual as we move into Autumn and Winter but it doesn't mean they are not present - just less showy. It's that "right place at the right time" kind of situation. Reports on our sightings board this week from VP1, VP2 and the Avalon Hide.

We have had one unusual visitor seen yesterday - a Squacco Heron. Unfortunately, it was on a piece of land that has no public access and giving the location would cause all kinds of problems with parking, trespassing and general obstruction to tracks and the road etc. We have therefore decided not to release the location for these reasons. I haven't seen it myself and am unlikely to.

I do however have some photos kindly sent by volunteer Andrew Kirby. Be aware that there is one in the local area - it might end up in a public area at some point or just move on - you never know:

Plenty to look out for on the reserve though, although movements of birds still seems slow. One Wigeon spotted from VP2 this week and I'm sure there are 1 or 2 others around - a few Teal being reported here and there but no large numbers. 

Still seeing some Swallows passing through each day and Monday seemed particularly prolific, with hundreds reported across the reserve - the Avalon Hide in particular. It was much wetter and cloudier on Monday, so perhaps the birds were driven lower in search of insects, and so were more visible. Sandie Andrews took these lovely shots of a Swallow coming in low to take a drink of water in front of the Avalon Hide on Monday:

Perhaps the warmer weather holding on is preventing an influx or outpouring of birds. At some point temperatures will drop, day length becomes shorter so these triggers will happen. The first cold snap may come as a surprise to some. 

October is traditionally the month for Grass Snakes and Adders to be thinking of hibernation, so will most likely be loitering closer to their hibernaculum. The old rail bridge is one such place and Grass Snakes have been seen here quite frequently on the south facing side catching some rays. Will Strange has sent me 2 shots he took this past Saturday (30th) of a Grass Snake on the stone gabions of the bridge:

Insects too are far more noticeable in the warmer weather - as last week, I've seen just the 3 dragonfly species: Migrant Hawker, Ruddy Darter and Common Darter. The 2 darters can often be seen well into November before the consistent or more serious frosts finish them off. A Common Darter image each from Sandie Andrews & Mike Pearce now. Sandie's was taken at the car park and it looks be be enjoying lunch - perhaps a hoverfly?

Mike's was taken on one of the benches on the main path - it's sheltered and faces south so stays a lot warmer here. Check out any flowering plants, including ivy, and see how many insects you can spot on the way down. 

A few butterflies being seen too: Red Admiral perhaps the most numerous, along with Comma, Peacock, Speckled Wood, Brimstone and Green Veined White. 

Plenty of other insects too. Bryn Evans, enjoys his bird watching and that is his primary focus but is enjoying the distraction of insects during what feels like a prolonged quiet patch. It was great to meet you on Monday Bryn, and put a face to the name. Bryn has sent me another selection of photographs and used an app to identify. Neither of us will be offended if you disagree with the ID decisions. I am very much an insect amateur on the whole. I have to say though, I am enjoying seeing the weird and wonderful world of bugs - so easy to miss when you walk around. 

Spiked Shield Bug: Bryn Evans

Parent Bug (Shield Bug): Bryn Evans

Ruby Tiger Caterpillar: Bryn Evans

Stenodema calcarata (Grass Bug Group)- no common name: Bryn Evans.

The 2 spurs on the hind femora are a diagnostic for the species.

Nocturnal Ichneumon wasp (Enicospilus ramidulus) 

Despite the name the males fly during the day. Again Bryn and I are  happy to be corrected on any of these points. 

This time something more familiar from Sandie Andrews. First a Common Carder bee feeding happily and then a Garden Spider, not feeding happily - yet!

Both the above were taken in the car park - so you haven't got to travel far to see some wildlife. 

This Green Woodpecker was spotted taking a drink from puddles in the car park on Tuesday by Sandie Andrews. They seem to be quite a common feature here recently - if you don't see them you can often hear them calling:

The car park has also been a good place to see Jays recently. Whilst on this subject, I mentioned that a Jay had been seen carry what looked like an egg last week. Turns out it was a large  acorn - I guess that makes a little more sense for this time of year. Anyway, here's the photographic evidence from Sandie Andrews:

Good way of spreading Oak trees - he's bound to forget where he's stashed one or two. 

A walk down the main track can be productive. Still some birds in song - Robins (no surprise there) but Chiffchaff too still in song. Listen out for mixed groups of birds such as tits and finches. You never know what might be hidden amongst them - particularly in the colder months - always worth scanning groups for any anomalies, something different. 

Long Tailed Tits are moving around in family groups, often following tee lines and contact calling frequently. I always love seeing these birds pass by me - I think they have real character and often hang acrobatically from branches. John Crispin has captured these images this week:

Look out also for: Blackcap, Coal Tit, Goldfinch, Song Thrush, Treecreeper and Bullfinch.

We still have work to do in front of VP1 before it becomes a better wildlife spectacle - please bear with us for another couple of weeks and we should be close. 

Marsh Harriers are using this area and others quite frequently. This male was photographed on Wednesday from VP1 by John Crispin:

This bird is a possible juvenile (next 2 photos)  - the slight tan colour to the head and shoulders might suggest this although John Crispin feels it unusual for a possible juvenile to have the extent of pale feathering on its shoulders, face and breast - what do you think?

The next bird was seen from VP2, also on Wednesday morning:

Out on the water, we are still waiting for a greater influx of wildfowl. People are reporting a few Tufted Duck and Shoveler but for the most part it is Gadwall and Mallard - quite good numbers milling about in Waltons and in front of VP2. 

I mentioned in last week's blog that some pairs of Gadwall were reinforcing pair bonds. Well these two took that a lot further and were seen head bobbing and then mating in front of the Tor View hide last Friday (29th). Sandie Andrews has sent in her photo:

This juvenile Gadwall was photographed by Bryn Evans on Saturday (30th), in the main drain near VP2. It got left behind while the rest of its siblings/family group scarpered. 

Look out also for Great Crested Grebes - some well grown juveniles still being spotted and Little Grebe too. This individual landed with a gentle glide on the water's surface this week for John Crispin:

Also this week:

40+ Lapwing headed over VP1 but did not stop (give it a couple more weeks and it may be more suitable), one or two Snipe disturbed from in front of VP1, Ravens seen and heard flying over during the week, Water rails calling loudly most days, Cettis Warblers trying to call louder, Kingfisher seen from the Avalon Hide this morning, Hobby from VP1 on Wednesday, small numbers of House Martins passing through, Buzzard seen daily, Sparrowhawk over Loxtons on Monday, Little Egret from VP1yesterday but also from the Avalon Hide during the week. 

Seems like a long blog this week - and here's me saying it's very quiet out there.

I'm going to finish here though. Thank you as always for those who have contributed their fantastic photos, knowledge and sightings - It's very much appreciated: John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Mike Pearce, Bryn Evans, Will Strange & Andrew Kirby - Thank you!

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend - looks like a nice one. Ideal weather for a reserve visit. I shall be working tomorrow at Ham Wall so if you see me come and say Hi!