It's been a little while since I have been able to writ a blog. I was on annual leave, then first aid training and then my daughter needed an operation on her broken wrist - that's 3 in a row missed. Apologies. It means quite a bit to catch up on, although there's no point in going back too far. 

You may have noticed that we have finally got started with some reed cutting in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) - the first island is finished and I'm onto the second. The cutting of the islands is relatively quick, what takes the time is moving the pontoon bridge, which I use to access each island - it needs extra pairs of hands, so relies on volunteers being present. We will get there eventually and then be able to raise water levels to create some nice open, splashy areas for waders and wildfowl. 

I have also cut and since cleared the reeds in front of the Tor View Hide (on the west side anyway) and this has opened up views nicely - it was very hard work given the conditions underfoot and it had to be done by hand. A Ringed Plover dropped in here for a little while last Wednesday. It's often also a good place to spot Water Rail - keep your eyes open here over the Autumn and Winter months.

Talking of which - it has certainly felt autumnal this week - particularly yesterday. The volunteers and I got got a little damp to say the least. We did several jobs around the reserve between us but perhaps the most obvious work was clearing some more trees from the ditch edge as you walk into the wood towards the Avalon Hide. This should allow water to flow more freely from this drainage channel. This channel continues around the reserve and ends up at the pumps opposite the old rail bridge, so has a major function for us. 

Despite some miserable spells of weather we have had some nice sunny spells too. A good opportunity to look for the Grass Snakes and Common Lizards at the old rail bridge. There were 3 snakes and 2 lizards reported here on Wednesday. 

Grass Snake: Mike Uren

There have also been good numbers of fish being spotted underneath:

Steve Edwards

Mike Uren

Of course some of our residents prefer things a little damper such as this Common Frog: 

Apart from our reptiles the hotter spells will also make it easier to see insects, with dragonflies particularly active. Several species can still be seen, with Migrant Hawker one of our later species being seen regularly: 

One or two Black Tailed Skimmers are hanging on, as well as Southern Hawker:

Black Tailed Skimmer: Bryn Evans

Southern Hawker: Bryn Evans

Southern Hawker: Chris Cardno

Common Darter and Ruddy Darter are also present with Ruddy darters seen all the way into November if it stays mild and they survive the frosts. 

Common Darter: Chris Cardno

Ruddy Darter: Chris Cardno

Damselflies are reducing in numbers as the season passes. Most likely ones to see maybe Red Eyed and Small Red Eyed - these tend to like the floating vegetation in the drains & ponds, so perhaps check here first. You may see the last of the Common Blue and Blue Tailed damselflies of the season too. 

Mating Small Red Eyed Damselflies: Chris Cardno

They might all still need to be wary of the small number of Hobbies that are still passing through (not in any great numbers but good to be aware that they are around). 

Still plenty of other insects to look out for, if that's your thing. Bryn Evans has diligently been seeking some out for us over the last few weeks and sent in the following selection:

Broad Banded Aphid Eater: Bryn Evans

Yellow Girdled Brusheye: Bryn Evans

Ichneumon Wasp: Bryn Evans

Kite Tailed Robberfly: Bryn Evans

Dock Bug: Bryn Evans

Red Bug: Bryn Evans

Harvestman: Bryn Evans

Obviously, I'm aware that birds are perhaps people's key interests, so I'll get onto those now. 

Clearing the reeds in front of VP1 is opening up views a bit. Great White Egrets can be seen sat out there on most days. There are plenty around and exactly 100 fledged from the Avalon Marshes reserves this year - a record year, despite over 40 nests failing due to weather, predation and other factors. It looks like they are well and truly here to stay. 

Cattle Egrets are being spotted a little more now in the surrounding area. Worth scanning local fields with cows present. I'm seeing them most mornings on my commute to work. They occasionally fly over the reserve and one was sat from VP1 on Wednesday. This one flew over the reserve last week and was spotted by John Crispin:

Similar in size to the Little Egret - perhaps a little chunkier. Obvious differences are the bill and feet colour. This Little Egret was having a good preen last week and was again captured by John Crispin:

It also snacked on this small fish:

Little Egrets can sometimes be seen from the Avalon Hide too, which is perhaps the best place to look for Marsh Harriers too, although since breeding season has finished they are far less active. This individual with rather worn tail feathers was seen by John Crispin last week:

Other birds of prey can be seen too including Buzzard. One has been watching me cutting the islands - they often drop down on the cut islands to see if I have exposed any morsels for them to eat. The Machine is often a good place to be - it allows me, sometimes to get a little closer to wildlife than if I was on foot. 

I flushed a Barn Owl last week from the same spot on the north of the reserve as I did 2 weeks before when cutting. It is near one of our owl boxes which contained owlets, so I would assume this is good news, as its out hunting in the day and/or staying away from a box full of youngsters in the day to get some peace. 

I also flushed a Sparrowhawk from the bank at the back of the VP1 section on Monday and it then just kept doing short flights ahead of me as I drove. It may have been the same bird as this one seen on the Sand Martin Box last week:

VP1 can also be a good place to spot Cormorants doing that all familiar pose:

Cormorant: Bryn Evans

Duck numbers are changing slightly with a few Shoveler, Tufted Duck and Teal appearing in front of the second viewing platform (VP2). Waltons tends to be housing more Mallard and Gadwall currently:

Gadwall: Mike Uren

When at Waltons/Tor View Hide you will most likely see Great Crested Grebes - some still tending youngsters. Little Grebe has also been spotted here and at the Avalon Hide:

Great Crested Grebe: Bryn Evans

A few Bearded Tits were seen at Waltons recently as well as over towards the Avalon Hide, where Bryn Evans saw 5 individuals (2 photographed below). It's getting to the time of year when they start to gather together in larger groups and can sometimes be seen flying up into the air in groups, calling - known as eruptions. The end of the month and into October are the best times. This is also when we do our population count surveys - it's easier to count these groups than to work out where nests are and if they are successful. 

Bearded Tits also begin to change their diet. As insect numbers reduce they begin to take up more seen and therefore need to take up grit too, to aid their digestion. We have put out some grit trays at a few locations including Tor View Hide and the Avalon Hide. Grit has been added to the tray at Tor View already and we will try to get to the others next week: 

I was still seeing a couple of Reed Warblers last week - not sure I have this week but you never know. These were taken a couple of weeks ago whilst I was away:

Reed Warbler: Bryn Evans

The reserve is not surprisingly quieter, with far less birdsong. Some birds tend to keep singing - Robins are a prime example. Cettis Warblers tend to call even in the winter and groups of noisy Long Tailed Tits make themselves pretty obvious with constant contact calling. 

Some Blackcaps can still be spotted - many can be seen in our gardens over winter months these days rather than migrating further south and Chiffchaff (pictured below) overwinter on the reserve in pretty good numbers these days. 

Chiffchaff: Bryn Evans

Also on the main path look out for: Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Song Thrush, Dunnock (pictured) and Blackbird. 

Dunnock (in moult): Bryn Evans

We should start to see some more arrivals, as well as departures over the next few weeks. Swallows, House Martins and Sand Martins (a couple passed by the Avalon Hide in the rain yesterday) are still moving through along with a few Swift seen late last week. 

5 Common Tern passed over the reserve late last week too.

Stonechats often visit us in winter - consensus suggests this is a juvenile seen on the reserve last week:

Also seen this week: Ravens flying over the car park, Great Spotted Woodpecker on the car park feeders and the wider reserve, Green Woodpecker heard at the car park on Tuesday, Muntjac buck seen last week on the main path, Roe Deer mother and a well grown fawn seen a couple of times this week near the Avalon Hide, Little Gull over the reserve (24/8), Kingfisher seen from the Avalon Hide, Grey Herons fishing along the main drain (including juveniles),, Greylag Goose and Wigeon seen from VP2, Black Tern seen over on Shapwick Heath and plenty of Mute Swans to be seen along the main drain including juveniles.

Mute Swan juvenile: Bryn Evans

I'll leave it there for this week. Thanks as always to those who have contributed their photos and information: John Crispin, Bryn Evans, Chris Cardno, Mike Uren and Steve Edwards.

There is a chance that I will have to miss a blog or two over the next couple of months. There is a lot of reed and grass cutting to do out on the reserve and I would love to get as much done as possible, as soon as possible - the rains last year meant that lot didn't get done, so I'm trying to get ahead of the curve and not get caught out this year. 

Thanks for reading - have a great weekend