It's been another fantastic week at RSPB Ham Wall - despite some pretty unfavourable conditions at times. Having reopened the Avalon Hide last Thursday, we were worried about water levels coming back up again after the deluges of rain we have experienced once again. Thankfully, the hide remains open but we recommend wellingtons. It has been passable in walking boots, but be prepared for them to get muddy. 

The stars of the show, 2 Common Cranes, have been seen several times this week from the hide but they have had an awesome supporting cast throughout the week. 

I was lucky enough to see them myself this morning as I undertook my first breeding bird survey of the season. First on the far north and then directly in front of the Avalon Hide. We will be keeping an eye open for any significant behaviour, although as I mentioned last week, the ringed bird (Meg) may be to young to breed this year but never say never. 

They have been heard bugling in the mornings too on occasion. Other lucky souls have also seen them this week and sent me in some photos:

Cranes: Robin Morrison

Cranes: Penny Broomhall

Cranes: Mike Uren

Mike's second picture shows how easily they can disappear into the reeds. For such big birds, they can hide away. So don't assume they are not there if you don't see them. 

This morning: Pochard, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebes were also showing well.

On the way into the woodland towards the hide look and listen out for Kingfisher. There's been one here for a week or so. Perhaps nesting in a root plate of un upturned tree, as I can't think there are any suitable banks. 

The first viewing platform (VP1) is another great place to go. The 4 Glossy Ibis have been regular visitors here during the week and were definitely seen this morning. 

With water levels just about holding here, waders are spending a good amount of time in this area. Varying numbers of Black Tailed Godwits have been recorded but a max count of 66 was achieved on Saturday 30th. 

Black Tailed Godwits: Mike Uren 

Less Redshank seen this week but 3 or 4 seen quite regularly and heard calling daily. A Spotted Redshank is also being seen daily. John Crispin's photo offers a good comparison between the two - particularly showing the bill size: 

Lapwing have also been seen displaying here each day (first photo) and have also been seen from the second viewing platform also (second photo):

Lapwing: Robin Morrison

Other birds seen displaying this week include Marsh Harriers, seen tumbling in the air acrobatically as well as calling in flight and Great Crested Grebes seen head bobbing and weed dancing once again:

Some grebes have already taken it to the next level as the following photo sequence from John Crispin shows:

This pair has built a nice high nest in front of VP1 and other pairs have also been busy nest building:

They're not the only ones getting busy with nesting. 2 Jays were seen carrying sticks across from Ham Wall to Shapwick Heath on Saturday, with several other individuals being spotted:

Grey Herons continue to nest in the Waltons reedbeds. Nests still need some running maintenance though. This heron was being quite selective about getting the right stick for the nest. The one it is holding was discarded as was the next before disappearing out of sight still searching:

Marsh Harrier, Coot, Moorhen and Blackcap have also been seen carrying nesting material this week:

Many Blackcaps are perching up and belting out their sweet songs. One was right over the boardwalk exit from the car park this morning. Including the first one below "singing in the rain": 

Plenty of other birds are singing proudly from there perches (a selection of photos below). This includes a good influx of Willow Warblers arriving this week:

Chiffchaff

Dunnock: Sandie Andrews

Dunnock: Bryn Evans

Song Thrush...and for comparison below a Mistle Thrush at the car park this week:

Long Tailed Tit

Cettis Warblers have been pretty visible lately. I saw several this morning, a couple just sat next to me unconcerned by my presence. They are far more territorial though with each other at present. This Wren was also seen in a territorial dispute:

Many of these can be seen along the main track onto the reserve. Look out for Grass Snakes at the old rail bridge but please keep disturbance to a minimum here. Please don't pass through the rails we have put each side. We are trying to reduce disturbance for these creatures which need time to warm up as they emerge from hibernation. Common Lizard has also been spotted here this week and Slow Worms can occasionally be seen around the reserve:

Grass Snake: Mike Uren

Grass Snake: Chris Cardno

Common Lizard: Robin Morrison

Slow Worm: Chris Cardno

Still away from birds, a few mammals are being spotted too. A Weasel was seen running across the track near VP2:

Roe Deer are seen fairly frequently. There was a group of 7 to the north of the reserve this morning and this one was at Waltons. It soon swam over the ditch to Loxtons to join a friend. Mike Pearce was hoping that it would leap the ditch for a great photo but it wasn't to be: 

These Grey Squirrels were seen by Bryn Evans partaking in some mutual grooming last weekend:

I think the best mammal sighting of the week has to be Otter sightings. We've had a few from VP1 and Waltons this past week including a mother and 3 cubs at one point. Gary Short had a wonderful encounter with this individual on Saturday. He was walking along Tor View Hide path and saw some movement in the water. It was an Otter, which soon emerged onto the path not far away and was carrying a large eel. It was very aware of Gary's presence but he was able to film it on his phone and I have some stills here to share. Thank you Gary and what a wonderful experience you've shared with us:

Insects are very much on the wing. Bumblebees are buzzing around and there have been several butterfly species spotted including: Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Comma, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell:

Small Tortoiseshell: Mike Uren

Here we have a Grey-spotted Sedgesitter - I have to admit I have never heard of this before. Thanks to Bryn Evans for his photos. The grey patches on the abdomen and grey tibia on the foreleg are the identifying features:

Here's a shot of a Tapered Drone fly in flight by Mike Pearce:

Such a wonderful variety of wildlife - and lots of this we don't even notice as we pass by on the hunt for a Glossy Ibis or Common Crane perhaps.

Bitterns too, of course are a big draw. Booming seems quite plentiful and you should hear one during your visit but sightings are often harder to come by. Sightings do increase at this time of year as males chase females (3 were seen in flight together on Saturday from VP1 (perhaps 2 males chasing one female) and a couple of flights have also been seen from the Avalon Hide. John's picture below was taken from VP1 whilst Mike's was just after crossing the bridge on his way to the Avalon Hide. The blueing around the lores on John's photo in particular suggests this is a male bird:

Great White Egrets are also seen daily - many of these birds will now be at nest sites. VP1 and the Avalon Hide are good places to catch a sighting. Thanks to Robin Morrison and Mike Uren for their shots taken this week:

Cattle Egrets too are being spotted. Around 100 were seen together in a field locally and there have been a few flyovers on the reserve with 18 over VP1 and Waltons on Monday heading south. Six of them captured by John Crispin's camera here:

Also this week: c50 Sand Martins seen on Wednesday morning, Great Spotted Woodpeckers heard drumming, Green Woodpecker heard calling this morning, Red Kite over the car park yesterday, Sparrowhawk over Tor View Hide this morning, 5 Garganey counted from VP1 this week (3 male and 2 female), Ravens seen flying over the reserve on a few occasions, Reed Warbler heard distantly in front of VP2 yesterday (didn't hear it this morning though), a Barn Owl spotted to the north of the reserve on Wednesday, still good numbers of Carrion Crow and Jackdaw feeding in the half cut maize fields to the north - Stock Doves were also present and a male Pintail seen from VP1 early in the week (pictured below): 

I'm going to have to leave it there I'm afraid, although I could still carry on. Isn't this place amazing?

Apologies to those contributors, if I haven't used all your photos this week. It was a bumper this week. I have some in reserve should in need them next week though. 

Thanks for all the photos and information goes to: John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Mike Pearce, Mike Uren, Bryn Evans, Toby Fogg, Robin Morrison, Chris Cardno, Gary Short and Penny Broomhall - so many of you. 

Hope you have enjoyed the read and the wonderful photos. Have a great weekend.