July and in particular August are often considered the quietest times on reserves like Ham Wall. Breeding season is all but over so many birds are quite worn out from frantic feeding of their broods (some busy parents still remain), a number of birds are in moult and perhaps a little less mobile and often it's quite hot - although I'm not quite sure what's happened in that regard this year. Another problem can be the height and density of vegetation encroaching on or blocking views.

It's usually when August hits that we start to undertake reed cutting - starting in places where the reeds are sparser and therefore not likely to have any nesting birds. From the first platform (VP1) is where I usually start. It's all ready to go but a family emergency meant I lost another day, so it should now begin on Monday. Volunteers have however done a good job clearing in front of the Tor View Hide, opening up the views once more. 

On the east side of Waltons (where the Tor View Hide sits) you may still see Great Crested Grebes with young at various stages of development. One pair I believe have eggs on a nest still - rather a late brood here. Other birds can be seen carrying broods on their backs - there's at least one brood of 4 in Waltons but possibly two. There are also some much older youngsters, one of which was seen attempting to make it's first flight. 

It was seen at the end of one of the channels in front of the Tot View Hide. The adult went first but the youngster looked a little tentative before going for it. It didn't quite break free of the water as the adult had done but then it was away - not very high and not for very long but it all has to start somewhere doesn't it. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her observations and for her images. Firstly, of the wonderous first flight attempt and then a selection of others:

Thanks also to John Crispin for his shots taken this week. The grebes have obviously been very entertaining this week. First his shot of an adult in flight - something you don't see that often and then a shot of the grebe showing its lobed foot - a great paddle for moving on and under the water:

Seeing these birds feeding young reminded me that there are still a few active nests. Yesterday I saw a male Blackbird with a beak full of worms and the Whitethroat was again seen from VP1 with food although this time it was actively seen feeding the fledged young bird - almost over the line. Thanks to John Crispin for his lovely Whitethroat shots and to Mike Pearce for his shot of Blackbird (minus the worms):

Juvenile birds are also being seen around the reserve. Several Blackcaps have been seen with brown caps - these won't all be female as the juvenile males also have this feature, a hen Pheasant has been seen frequently with two youngsters on the footpath side of the drain and family groups of birds such as Long Tailed Tits are being seen more frequently now. 

The Marsh Harrier activity seems to have dipped somewhat - birds have now been fledged for a little while and are now being seen more independently. 4 different birds have been spotted from VP1 this week including the male from this nest area who disappeared for a short time. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a female on the hunt and then two different juvenile birds - note the gingery looking cap on the juveniles:

Whilst driving around the reserve yesterday I saw a Buzzard far more frequently than Marsh Harrier. At one point it was perched on the old wind pump visible from the Avalon Hide. 

The hide itself has been quite a good place to sit and wait for Marsh Harriers but has also been a Bittern Hotspot - even at this time of year as their flights become far more infrequent. One visitor reported seeing 4 flights in quite a short space of time on Tuesday. There have also been a few sightings from VP1 including one this morning as I approached in the truck and this one from John Crispin a couple of days ago. Thanks John:

When the bird sightings are a little slower, how about taking a closer look at the insect life on the reserve. During sunny spells (yes, there have been a few) look out for butterflies on the wing visiting the various flowering plants around the reserve and main track. As reported on the local news - really high numbers of butterflies such as Red Admiral and Peacock - certainly been seeing that on the reserve, although very low numbers of Small Tortoiseshell - I'm guessing weather events at just the right or wrong time can have a big effect on populations. 

Good numbers of Speckled Wood and Gatekeeper reported along with Small White, Green Veined White, Meadow Brown, Common Blue, Brimstone, Comma and Holly Blue. Thanks to Bryn Evans for his shot of female Holly Blue taken on his recent visit:

Bryn has obviously been looking and foraging hard for a selection of bug life on the reserve and sent me a lovely selection. I'm glad he has used an app for the identification - I think I would be struggling with some of these. Thanks Bryn - this really adds an extra dimension to the sightings blog: 

Nettle Tap Moth - Bryn Evans

Woolly-Tailed Marsh Fly: Bryn Evans

Parasite Fly Species: Bryn Evans

Hornet Plumehorn Hoverfly: Bryn Evans

Long Winged Conehead Cricket: Bryn Evans

Thanks also to Abbie Thorn (our Visitor Experience Manager) who found this Red Underwing moth in the car park Welcome Building:

I also saw this little beauty this week. A Jersey Tiger moth: 

There's all kinds of good things out there if you look a bit harder or just wait a little longer. 

Abbie also took a picture of a Slow Worm which is seen in the planter by the toilets quite frequently. Fancy a game of spot the Slow Worm:

Grass Snakes have been seen a few times this week. Once or twice from the old rail bridge, Once at the car park and this morning slithering along the Tot View Hide path. One was also spotted swimming in the Waltons section on Wednesday. 

In terms of mammals, it's always a lot harder. Been seeing a lot more Rabbits recently - particularly at the car park. I often see evidence of Otter or Badger but rare to sight them. Perhaps the most likely would be Roe Deer. They can often be seen grazing on the grassy paths around the reserve and I again saw the two youngsters near the Avalon Hide - this time with their mother. They are getting well grown now. Mum's doing a grand job. 

The Avalon Hide has also been a good place to spot Great White Egrets this year. Another good year for them in the Avalon Marshes - the final total of fledged birds is likely to reach 80 for this year. They are a pretty easy spot - being big and white helps. One was seen fishing very close to the screens at Waltons on Wednesday and these were photographed by Mike Pearce on Saturday (29th) from the Avalon Hide. Thanks Mike:

Also from Mike the same day this Little Grebe feeding it's youngster. Thanks also to Sandie Andrews for her Little Grebe image taken at Waltons:

Mike also took this image of Lapwings passing over. There have been a few little flyovers this week. The early Autumn movement has begun. John Crispin reported a group of 30 this week from VP1 - the biggest group so far. Thank you both for your images:

3 Black Tailed Godwits also popped up from in front of VP1 this week before flying east. When I eventually get reed cutting this should open up more opportunities for feeding waders, although I am on holiday for 2 weeks after next week so bear with me.

Other birds are starting to move off our shores. Swift numbers have dipped dramatically and on Wednesday a few hundred martins were seen flying low (in the rain) heading south. I've also ben noticing gathering Swallows on telegraph wires locally.

A lot of the warblers will move off too, although a Willow Warbler was heard singing by VP1 early this week. Reed Warblers are still being seen and one was chattering away briefly by the car park pools this week. Garden Warbler and Sedge Warbler have also been seen but will now be much harder to come by. Thanks to John Crispin for his shots of Sedge Warbler and what we believe to be Garden Warbler taken recently:

Also this week: Raven heard flying over, Song Thrush seen along the main track, Jays seen at various locations, Great Spotted Woodpecker seen frequently including at the car park, Lesser Emperor Dragonfly reported by VP1 last weekend, Kingfisher from VP1 yesterday, Pintail seen this week (and this morning) from VP2 - most likely female but could be male in eclipse, Wigeon also reported from VP2 this morning, Stock Doves heard calling in the woods near the owl boxes to west of Avalon Hide and Grey Herons seen feeding along the edges to the drains. Also this one seen sunbathing last week - suspected that they do this to help rid themselves of parasites. Thanks to John Crispin for the photo:

Think I'd better stop there - and there was me thinking it was a quiet week and I'd be struggling to write this. That's Ham Wall for you - always something amazing going on - even if it's hidden deep down in the grass or high up in the sky. 

Thanks for reading and to all those who have contributed photos or information. Have a wonderful weekend!