The storm of Wednesday into Thursday has caused a few problems out on the reserve today. We were office bound yesterday as the storm passed through. We got off lightly compared to other parts of Southern England. 

A large willow feel by the second of the Waltons screens - thankfully missing the screen, the blinds, rails and the sign, so jus a clear up job this morning. Apart from that it has been minor tree damage. Our biggest problem has been water. The main drain is full to bursting and has begun to overtop across the grassy footpath flowing into the sections towards the Avalon Hide. 

With the main drain being so high we have had to turn of our pumps as we can't responsibly put water into a system which is already full. This means water backs up the smaller drain which runs through the reserve (Ham Wall Rhyne) and spills over onto the Avalon Hide path. To give you some prior warning if you fancy a visit, it was wellies only to get to the Avalon Hide this morning and it will most likely get higher, so access could disappear altogether for a short time (Until we can get pumping again - although I think there is more rain on the way - and water still filtering down from higher in the catchment). 

Thanks to Chris Cardno for his rainbow picture taken by Loxtons on Tuesday - a bit of hope there:

Anyway, much of the reserve will remain accessible and there is plenty to see on your visit. 

We have been letting water into the are in front of the first viewing platform (VP1), tis may speed up somewhat with the current weather. Some island are now very splashy and as I hinted at last week in the blog Lapwings are being seen much more frequently here with reports of around 200 birds at times. A few Snipe are being seen here also as well as at the second viewing platform (VP2). 

VP1 seems to be the favourite haunt of Canada Geese at the moment, using the area for preening and loafing, whilst they are joined by a lesser number of Greylag Geese, although a group of around 30 did pass over this week heading towards VP2. 

Duck numbers are climbing slowly - shouldn't think many birds were "on the move" yesterday in the high winds. VP1 plays host to Wigeon, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler and Pochard. 3 female Pochard were present last weekend but soon disappeared, whilst 13 Tufted Duck were seen swimming around together, with several more hidden away. These Teal came into land this week at VP1 and were photographed by John Crispin:

Similar figures can be seen over in Waltons where 2 male Pochard were recorded yesterday. Definitely more Gadwall and Mallard to be seen in this area.  

The splashy islands of VP1 have long been a favourite of the Great White Egret - a good place to start if you want to see one. This one is standing aloft on the sand martin bank, although I'm not sure who he's looking for - "Hello! Anyone there?"

Here's another one of it cleaning it's feet on the nearby rails:

All that  bending over, searching and feet cleaning looks to have given him a crick in the neck by the looks of this John Crispin shot:

Sandie Andrews has also sent in her Great White Egret shot taken this week from the Tor View Hide path - look at its wonderful feathering:

It's not the only heron species to be seen feeding out from VP1. This photograph shows Great White Egret, Little Egret and Grey Heron all feeding together. Always good to see this as it gives you an idea of the size differences:

Another regular visitor to VP1 this week has been the Pied Wagtail - although I see them at the car park more than anywhere else. Often seen perching on the rails on the islands edge. On this occasion it came a little closer and perched on VP1 itself:

It also shared its perch with a Kingfisher on one occasion this week with the Pied Wagtail at one end of the rail and the Kingfisher at the other - guess they are not in any direct competition for food. Two that are had a bit of a "face off" on the rail on Monday - Great White Egret and Grey Heron - and they looked like they could tolerate each other in the earlier picture. The Kingfisher has visited quite regularly of late. I saw one this morning too flying from Loxtons over to Waltons with its trademark whistle or peep in flight.  Thanks to John Crispin for his shots taken this week:

The Tor View Hide should remain accessible despite the rain and it can give you some nice views of certain species - often a good place to see Water Rail for example. Bearded Tits have been seen and heard here lately - although not during the last survey on Tuesday, where the weather was less kind to the surveyors this week. Last weeks count of 169 will be the highest count of the season - a good number I think. Saw some this morning from the Bridge from the main track to wards the Avalon Hide (not that we got there in our chainsaw boots - we had to give up).

We could still see the Marsh Harriers in the distance and there was another flying in the sunshine over Waltons a little later. This one was snapped by Sandie Andrews from the Avalon Hide late last week:

Sandie Andrews took these shots of a preening Wren and a Reed Bunting snacking on seeds this week from the Tor View Hide:

If you looking around Waltons check out the new tern rafts which managed to moor in position on Monday. Common Tern (juvenile) has been seen around Waltons and at the Avalon Hide this week - come back in a few months and bring your friends. There is a third raft in front of the Loxtons screen, although given Loxtons is wet underfoot most of the year, the trail is almost certainly underwater at the moment. 

Photos by Joe Hrastelj (Assistant Warden):

We definitely chose the right day to et the rafts out on Monday. The rest of the time has been more suited to the ducks or perhaps slugs. It must be easier to move around on wet ground. This is really just a attempt to link into the next set of photos from Bryn Evans. Yes, I mentioned them last week, here's some slug action:

Red Slug (Arion rufus): Identified by it's red foot fringe

Slug sp. Possibly Arion ater - Bryn says he should have looked at its foot for a better ID. Hindsight is a wonderful thing even if it's slimy. It's a big learning curve for Bryn photographing and learning about all these new species.

Dusky slug (Arion subfuscus) This is one of a possible 3 species but Bryn has gone for this one as the other two are very rare - any slug experts out there?

Something much less slimy now - the Common Wasp. After the German Wasp of last week, here's the other one. German wasp has the three dots on the face, Common Wasp the anchor shape. We disturbed a wasp nest this morning whilst clearing another tree which fell a while back. - we didn't stay to finish it as they were a touch angry:

Just a few Hornets being seen now too after what appears to have been a good summer for them on the reserve - don't think I've ever seen so many:

Hornet: Bryn Evans

A couple of other insects now. 

Common Drone fly: Bryn Evans

Hornet Plumehorn Hoverfly: Bryn Evans

Bryn says this one looked really fresh and was surprised to see that the beginning of November is the end of their flight period. 

Now for a spider that's pretty rare. This one Bryn actually photographed on Shapwick Heath. The Raft Spider. He said this one went from snoozing to aggressive pose in an instant. Hence the 2 photos:

As mentioned last week there are still a few plants out in flower to attract insects. This one we believe to be Lesser Stitchwort:

Last week we had some nice shots of Guelder Rose berries. This week its Bittersweet berries - it's in the nightshade family. I think it's the same as Woody Nightshade which I often see in the reedbeds and scrubby areas - they have purple and yellow flowers. More than Happy to be corrected. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her image:

Definitely has a seasonal feel about it that photo. I also couldn't resist this one from Sandie, with the seasonal and Halloween feel:

We will be undertaking a fair bit of scrub management over the winter. You can often see odd bugs or growth on trees. Good to know what they are. Here's one from Bryn Evans - a Willow Gall:

This is believed to be Euura Pedunculi of the Willow Gall Sawfly family. The ID for this one is that the gall is protruding on the underside of the leaf. Other species of Sawfly form bean galls which protrude from both sides of the leaf. Wow, there is so much out there I don't know about - thanks Bryn.

Other insects are still on the wing - although you may only see them in the sunny intervals. In terms of butterflies: Red Admiral, Comma and Speckled Wood have been seen this week and for dragonflies: Ruddy Darter, Common Darter, Southern Hawker and Migrant Hawker have all been seen - this weather will reduce numbers somewhat I would think.

For songbirds the car park and main path are a good place to start. A nice male bullfinch was in the car park trees on Monday, gangs of Long Tailed Tits are moving through the tree lines, Robins and Chiffchaffs have been singing merrily, Redpoll have been seen along with mixed flocks of tits, nice groups (or charms) of Goldfinches and Siskin were seen next to VP2.

In the reedbeds and scrubby edges listen out for the punchy call of the Cettis Warbler and the screeching of the Water Rail. Reed Buntings and Bearded tits will be feeding on reed seeds and you may see the tail flicking of the Stonechat - often perched up high. They don't seem to be shy - opposite VP1 is a good spot:

Also this week: Sparrowhawk seen from VP2, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers seen and heard at the car park, Kestrel seen from the Tor View Hide, a Short Eared Owl seen from VP1 at 5pm on Sunday and both Little Grebe and Great Crested Grebe seen around Waltons and 6 Ravens seen flying over the reserve heading north on Sunday. These 2 were spotted tumbling in flight by John Crispin this week too:

That's it for this week but before I sign off here's some upcoming events that the visitor team would like me to share with you:

Bookable bespoke guided walks – 12, 21 November, 01 and 08 December 2023 and 08, 19 and 23 January 2024- 10:30am – 1.30pm

If you're planning a visit, you can book a volunteer guide for a 3 hour guided walk! We'll tailor each walk to suit your needs and focus on the wildlife you want to see (as the wildlife is, well, wild, we can't always guarantee what you'll see, but we'll try our hardest). Our bookable bespoke walks make an excellent gift for nature lovers!

“What the duck?” and other winter wildlife – guided walk at RSPB Ham Wall

Learn to tell a Wigeon from a Teal, a Shoveler from a Pochard or a Redwing from a Song Thrush at RSPB Ham Wall! Join us on a walk around the reserve as we try to spot as many different species of duck and other winter wildlife as we can, and learn more about the different migrant and native ducks and other birds which you can find at RSPB Ham Wall during the autumn and winter.

For more info and to book any of the above events, please visit https://events.rspb.org.uk/hamwall.

Thanks as always to those who have contributed the fantastic photos and information for the blog: John Crispin, Bryn Evans, Sandie Andrews and Chris Cardno.

Have a great weekend and stay dry!!