Having felt like it took forever for Autumn to arrive, it seems as though it has now passed right by and winter is here. Much colder temperatures and several frosty mornings have made the reserve a very different place this week and thank goodness it has stopped raining. 

Frosty reeds: Bryn Evans

More frosty pics from Sandie Andrews:

The drier week has been a blessing as the pumps have finally caught up with the excess water across the reserve and the Avalon Hide path is now accessible in regular footwear - no chest waders required anymore. 

There was very little bird life there first thing this morning as the Truxor (a floating reed cutting machine) was finishing off opening up some views and points of interest where ducks, egrets etc can loaf about. There have been two machines on site all week working in various places including: the Avalon Hide & along the route to it Waltons and Loxtons & areas on the north of the reserve (they finish today). This machine can clear channels and cut in areas where I dare not take my machine - so are really useful tools for us to hire in. 

As I've mentioned they create areas of extra interest for visitors as well as helping to keep channels clear and add variation to the age structure of the reed beds. In Waltons they have cut the end of the island off visible from the third screen and it was immediately occupied by Snipe:

These areas are often frequented by groups of Teal in the winter too offering ice close up views. Check out the cut areas in front of the Tor View Hide also.

Any cut and floating vegetation and these cut islands are also a good place to look for Water Pipits. They have been seen in Waltons over the last couple of days:

Waltons has played host to a good number of duck this week: Teal, Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Shoveler, Pochard and Gadwall all spotted this week as well as in front of the first viewing platform (VP1), where a large group of Teal flying round in a fairly tight pack. The west side of Waltons, has also been home to a female Scaup this week:

Great Crested Grebes are also still visible. Most years they are absent from the reserve at this time but there is a single on the west of Waltons and 2 on the east. Perhaps these two spotted by Helen Wood a couple of weeks ago. They were seen showing courtship behaviour - perhaps the icy temperatures will cool their love for a little while:

From VP1 look out for the Glossy Ibis - it's been seen on most days this week, albeit briefly each time. It has tended to be close in to the front so often just out of sight with just occasional flights spotted. It has also been seen in the field next to the car park on at least 2 occasions hanging around with some Cattle Egrets. They were there this morning and were flting out of the field in small groups over the car park. When I left at about 12pm I couldn't see any left but I didn't take a rewally close look. This Glossy Ibis was photographed by John Crispin from VP1 this week:

Also present this morning were a few Cormorants sunning themselves with their familiar wings out pose. Alongside was a Grey Heron, whilst a Great White Egret had to make do with perching on top of the artificial Sand Martin bank. Mike Pearce's photo shows the Cormorants earlier this week, whilst John Crispin's shot shows a Great White Egret, having just struggled to swallow a large fish  check out its neck:

Apart from Snipe (10 dropped into the VP1 area early in the week) and brief visits from Lapwing the only other wader I'm aware of visiting is Black Tailed Godwits. John Crispin witnessed 3 wading in water up to their bellies this week before flying off (after a flying visit):

Group of Snipe taken this week by Sandie Andrews.

Marsh Harriers are being spotted daily - both male and female. Mornings can be good as they quarter over the reed beds after the Starling roost has left (the bulk currently in Waltons).

This female was seen, and photographed by John Crispin after catching prey. It's flying away from us but we suspect that it has caught a Moorhen. What do you think?

Any food must be welcome for birds at the moment, with the low temperatures. Birds will need to keep refuelling. Winter thrushes - Redwing and Fieldfare are being seen daily and have both been seen feeding on berries from the car park trees and hedges. 

The Blackbirds (male and female) are getting in on the act too:

There are all kinds of birds to discover in and around the car park as well as along the main track - it's not just about what's out on the water or lurking in the reed beds. 

This Great Spotted Woodpecker took off along the main track this week - apparently disturbed by one of the Wardens driving his machine alone - now who could that have been I wonder? 

A large group of Siskin c40 flew over the car park on Monday and they have also been seen along the main track (pictured) along with Redpolls:

This Treecreeper was spotted by Sandie Andrews along the main path foraging on the trees for food:

Groups of long tailed tits (pictured) can be seen moving down the tree lines using contact calls as they go and other tits often in mixed groups can also be seen - Blue Tit and Great Tit (both pictured) along with the odd Coal Tit:

Great Tit - Bryn Evans. You'll find these get a lot braver like the Robins as winter continues - they will come very close to visitors in search of any tit bits people might drop. 

For something more unusual you may have to be a little more patient. Firecrests have been seen along the main path but are not always easy to spot but also don't assume everything is a Goldcrest either. The first stretch of the main path from the road down to the boardwalk bridge leading from the car park to the reserve is a good place on most ears but they have been spotted further down too. Mike Pearce took these images during the week whilst Sandie Andrews took the Goldcrest shot - helps to see the differences:

If you can't see the top of the head look for the obvious eye stripe on the Firecrest. 

Chiffchaff are also regularly spotted - many more overwintering these days. I remember last year on frosty mornings seeing good numbers of the feeding on the edges of paths and trails, so keep an eye out for this behaviour again:

Not heard Chiffchaff singing for a couple of weeks now - finally decided to stop. Some birds sing all year round of course - the Robin a classic example. This Wren looks like it's belting out a tune - very loud for a small bird:

Another bird with a loud call for its size is the Cettis Warbler (pictured below). The frosts might bring more sightings of these as they forage harder for food - there were 2 interacting very close to volunteers this week as they were scrub cutting and seemed unbothered by them. Similarly with birds such as Water Rail (which also call a lot in the winter) - often so secretive but the frosts drive them out into more open spaces in search of food - so a good time to try and spot these birds - perhaps in the newly cut areas.

Of course the colder weather will mean a big drop in insect numbers but there are still a few hanging on. Thanks again to Bryn Evans, although he is finding them harder to come by - I'm not surprised!

Winter Crane Fly (Trichocera genus) - the adult stage does not feed, just lives long enough to breed.

Top photo fly of Polietes genus. Bottom is Mescina genus. Difference being the absence of red tip on the thorax - it's subtle but it's there.

Common Drone fly

Long Jawed Orbweaver  - Tetragnatha genus.

Girdled Snail; Hygromia cinctella - Prominent keel, white in colour around the periphery of the shell whorls. 

There's a few plants hanging on and trying to flower despite the cold:

Hogweed: Bryn Evans

Hedge Woundwort: Bryn Evans

Ivy now with berries: Mike Pearce

Also this week: Kingfisher from the old rail bridge this morning, Buzzards daily, 1000 Golden Plover at Greylake this week with around 600 Lapwing and 4 Cranes also spotted, Sparrowhawk from VP1 on Wednesday, Bearded Tits heard at Waltons on Tuesday, Pied Wagtails busy in the car park (pictured) and Stonechats seen around the reserve at various locations including VP1 (female pictured).

Think I will have to leave it there for this week. Time running out as always and I have to write a section for the Somerset Life Magazine too. Hopefully this will become a regular feature over the next few months. We had a long article in the summer and we are in the current December edition too which is great!

Thanks as always for everyone's contributions of amazing photos, sightings and interesting facts. John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Mike Pearce, Bryn Evans and Helen Wood - thank you. 

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!