It always feels strange being away from the reserve for a couple of weeks (I've been on annual leave). You can get "out of the loop" very quickly, so it takes a couple of days to get back into the swing of things. 

That being said the reserve is still pretty quiet in terms of birdlife - we are in the death throws of summer still I suppose, but there are signs that Autumn is on the way. A lot less birdsong to be heard across the reserve, the vegetation looks a lot browner & many plants having gone to seed. The reeds have pretty much stopped growing but have reached some terrific heights in some places. We understand this makes it harder to see wildlife in some places - this is something we will be working on over the coming weeks. 

I had already started reed cutting in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) before my holiday, although this has already regrown to well over a foot in my absence - this will get a second cut once I've completed all the other islands. 

I plan to be back in here for a couple of days next week after I return with my reed cutting machine from a couple of days at Westhay Moor - doing some work for the Somerset Wildlife Trust - partnership working in action.

There are however other signs of the change that is coming. Teal and Wigeon are being seen on the reserve on most days - our winter visitors. It wont be long before we hear the trills and whistles of these birds across the open water. These birds were photographed by John Crispin this week. A male Teal in eclipse with a female we think - feel free to disagree:

Pintails are another autumn/winter visitor at Ham Wall. This individual was hanging around 3 or 4 weeks ago and is still present. It's in the area in front of the second viewing platform (VP2) but is more likely to be seen from the willow viewing blinds on the other side of the drain that look into this are rather than the platform itself. Again we think this is a male in eclipse:

There are of course still some summer visitors still present on the reserve or passing through. 

Sand Martin and House Martin are being seen on most days in small groups. I was watching some yesterday in the VP1 area whilst on Monday a group of around 25 were seen from VP1, with many perching on the reeds for a time. A few Swift are also still passing through and I'm seeing plenty of Swallows as I drive around the local area.

Reed Warblers are still present - you can hear the occasional short burst of chattering before they fall silent again. It's always harder to fell from the angle of this photo but we think this is a reed warbler at full stretch as it takes off:

Another summer visitor here is this Whitethroat seen from VP1 this week. They do breed in this area every year in amongst the brambles but this one could be a bird just passing through:

Our resident birds are not to be outdone though. Bitterns are being seen fairly regularly - obviously not with the frequency of breeding season but one was seen this morning from VP1, whilst the one in John Crispin's photograph below was seen yesterday from VP1 flying east. From the same point again there was a flurry of 3 sightings in about 20 minutes one day last week, although this could well have been the same bird just moving around:

Another star species for Ham Wall is the Marsh Harrier. I could hear one calling in flight close to VP1 this morning as I was working but didn't catch sight of it. They are more mobile now that breeding season is over and territories seem less important. Sightings from both platforms, Waltons and the Avalon Hide this week, so you've a good chance wherever you go on your visit. This bird looks to be a sub adult bird. It has quite well developed wing patches but is still showing some of the brown/ginger markings of a younger bird:

Other birds of prey have been seen this week too. An Osprey reported on Wednesday - we usually have on on the Avalon Marshes at this time of year, which hangs around for a quite a while but not had any further sightings as yet. 

A Sparrowhawk was also seen this morning from VP1, Buzzards are being seen regularly and a female Hen Harrier was also reported recently but no further confirmations of this bird as far as I'm aware. A Hobby was also spotted this morning by one lucky visitor in the Waltons area.

Still a good number of insects on the wing for any birds passing through and in need of a meal. For the Hobby, there are a good number of Migrant Hawker dragonflies along with Common Darter, Ruddy Darter and a few Brown Hawkers - that's not to say no other species are present but that's all I've seen so far this week. Emperor is a likely addition.  

The weather perhaps hasn't been so great for spotting butterflies. I've seen some Speckled Woods, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Green Veined White Red Admiral and Small White but then I'm straining to think of what else I've seen. I did see a nice Red Underwing moth on the rails to the toilet block this morning - unfortunately it flew before I could take a photo. 

I've been seeing quite a few Jersey Tiger Moths recently too - more than usual I think. This individual was photographed by Sandie Andrews a couple of weeks ago:

The hornets are still busy in both the bird boxes in the little garden behind the car park Welcome Building. I can only assume this is two different colonies. Fascinating to watch them. In fact on of the colonies has built an extension since I've been away as Mike Uren's shot shows:

Hornet's nest: Mike Uren 

Whilst still away from birds, the Grass Snakes at the old rail bridge are still proving a hit. It was lovely to see family groups enjoying seeing them on Wednesday. Obviously best during sunny spells on the southern side of the bridge. They are often seen basking on or within the gabion baskets holding the stones in as Dave Cannon's photo from a couple of weeks ago shows. Try not to encroach too close and increase disturbance for these creatures. As we get less sunshine, they will need every opportunity possible to warm up. Being cold blooded they will need the sun's heat to regulate their body temperature.  Common Lizards have also been seen here this week too. 

Grass Snake: Dave Cannon

From reptiles to amphibians. Common Frogs and Toads can be seen but it's the Iberian Water Frogs that fascinate people most. It's believed they have been in the area as far back as the 60's, released either accidentally or on purpose by an individual. If you hear a strange noise during the summer months and you're not sure what it is, it could well be these. Often seen arond the car park pools or over at Loxtons or Waltons.

This one was in the pond by the new play area and picnic benches at Waltons and spotted by Mike Uren:

Iberian Water Frog: Mike Uren 

In terms of mammals it's always a bit harder here - the usual Grey Squirrels and an increase in the number of Rabbits but there was also a sighting of a Badger at Waltons today. Roe deer are the other most likely mammal you will spot. After seeing a mother and 2 fawns regularly in the Avalon Hide area a fawn was seen by the car park ponds last weekend (don't worry - the mothers often leave the young for periods in the day and then return to find them.

This mother and fawn were spotted at Loxtons recently and photographed by Sandie Andrews:

Loxtons path to the screen is still quite wet but access can be found from the other direction if this is not passable.

Loxtons screen has often been a good place to look for Kingfishers but there have been sightings from VP1 recently - sightings seem far more abundant in autumn/winter. There was one spotted this morning, whilst 2 were seen in a chase last week. One was also seen at the car park on Tuesday by one of our volunteers. 

In terms of waders it's pretty quiet. Water levels are still quite high in places and from VP1 too low as I need it that way to cut the islands. Once this work is finished and we bring water levels up it will be far more favourable to wader and duck species. 

Having said that 12 Snipe flew over the VP1 area on Monday and a Greenshank was spotted on Tuesday and there have also been sighting of Lapwing here and near the Avalon Hide.

For ducks you can add Mallard, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Shoveler and Pochard to the Wigeon, Teal and Pintail already mentioned but also a Garganey spotted from the Avalon Hide yesterday (think it's previously been seen from VP2). 

Another couple of reserve favourites now. First the Great White Egrets. A common fixture on local reserves now with 2 spotted feeding in front of VP1 this morning. As I promised a while back I have the figures for them breeding in the Avalon Marshes this season. 73 nesting attempts of which 53 were productive. Out of these an amazing 88 young have fledged of which 15 have been ringed. Another great year for these majestic birds. 

Ringed birds from this year have been reported in Sussex, Wales, Oxfordshire and Frome.

The other favourite is the elusive Bearded Tit. Quite a few sightings since I've been away actually. Reports this week from the Avalon Hide, Waltons and Tor View Hide (heard this morning) and from VP2 (including this morning). We will be undertaking annual surveys for these birds over a few days this month and next - it's the best way to count populations as they gather in groups at this time of year -let's hope for kind weather on the survey days - they are always more showy on still sunny days. 

These were photographed by Sandie Andrews from the Tor View Hide early last week:

Also this week: Green Woodpecker heard close to the car park on several days this week, Stock Doves heard calling in at least 2 sections of woodland, Chiffchaff heard singing on Tuesday, Blackcaps spotted along the main path, Ravens heard flying over on at least 3 days so far this week, Cattle Egret spotted in small numbers in local area, Water Rail seen from the Tor View Hide this morning, Little Egrets seen from Avalon Hide, Red Kite spotted flying over last week and Grey Herons seen feeding along the main drain.

This individual was snapped by John Crispin having a good shake whilst perched on the rails in the water from VP1. May have been the same one that was perched on top of the artificial Sand Martin bank on Tuesday:

That's it for this week. Thank you to John Crispin, Sandie Andrews, Mike Uren and Dave Cannon who have all contributed their wonderful photos for this week's blog.

I hope you have enjoyed reading. Unfortunately, there will be no blog again next week as I am working over the weekend leading our Canoe Trails event on Saturday and also helping out on Sunday, than at Westhay Monday & Tuesday. With volunteer groups on Wednesday and Thursday as well as catching up with work here it's Friday that will be my day off, so apologies in advance. I'll do my best to produce a blog for the following week. 

Have a great weekend