This time of year proves very fruitful to a birdwatcher. There is a flurry of activity as summer migrants arrive and set up and sing for their territories. Seen so far are Blackap, first heard singing 25/3, Willow warbler 29/3 and Chiffchaff 24/3. Winter birds are also here, with Bramblings still being seen on the reserve 28/3 and passage birds such as Meadow pipit 28/3 witnessed flying overhead. Resident birds are more active with good shows between rival males. Blackbirds are the most obvious but I have also seen spectacular flying fights between Chaffinches.

Hawfinch are still relatively easy to see due to the bare trees, however leaves are starting to appear, so make the most of the visibility whilst still available.  A great sight of a peregrine hunting high up in the sky was my reward on 25/3 and good sightings of Goshawk have been reported. New Fancy view (just off the reserve) is still your best bet for this species however.

The very warm spell last week meant I saw a fair few butterflies including small and green veined white, peacock, comma, brimstone and small tortoiseshell.

New fresh wood sorrel is occuring all over the forest floor. This plant is not only delightful, but delicious too. The leaves are tasty but contain oxalates which means this plant should not be eaten by everyone.

Parents Comment Children
No Data