.    Yep..I know we are only a few days into 2011, but I am already getting excited about the seabird season.  I was at Fowlsheugh with a friend/local volunteer yesterday for a flying visit and was delighted to see large numbers of guillemots and fulmars on the cliffs.     No, this isn't an extreme example of birds nesting earlier because of climate change!!!  Both species pay short visits to their breeding grounds from December onwards probably to stake a claim to a place on the cliffs.   They will disappear out to sea again between visits.  

We had a great day.  As soon as we stepped out of the car we were treated to a fly past by a hunting peregrine aiming straight for a flock of pigeons.   We walked along the cliffs as far as Craiglethy Rock, enjoying the guillemots and fulmars.  It was great to hear the guillemots growl like call.  We also saw Grey seals, including pups at Treleung Bay.   We think we also saw 4 common seals, hauled out on Craiglethy Rock, but our ID at that distance maybe a bit dodgy!

If you do go for a wander along the Fowlsheugh Cliffs you will notice some building work.   We are currently constructing an observation shelter.   We have been left a generous legacy and this shelter is being built in memory of our benefactor, Mr George Wood-Anderson.   It will be finished by the start of the breeding season; I will keep you updated with developments and news about the opening ceremony. 

Happy New Year

Vicky