What a day we had today…It almost felt like summer and the cliffs were heaving with seabirds.    I am not sure if they will disappear back to sea again before finally settling down for the breeding season, but they certainly looked quite at home back on their cliffs today.   

We spent the afternoon based at our new observation shelter (nearly, but not quite finished) watching for dolphin activity but also enjoying a range of wildlife.   The shelter faces towards the north and gives a spectacular view of the cliffs in the distance.  All afternoon we watched a peregrine spook thousands of birds off the cliffs as it soared around.  

The highlight was undoubtedly the 11 bottle-nosed dolphins around half past one travelling rapidly northwards, close enough to the cliffs to get excellent video footage.  

However, puffins (a total of 6 on show today) as usual stole the show for most people.   I am always delighted to see visitors who come to Fowlsheugh to see “their first puffin” and today was no exception, a steady stream of puffin spotters who all left fully satisfied. 

Other wildlife of note..22 seals hauled out on Craiglethy Rock, mainly Grey but we were convinced we saw common seals with them, Small tortoiseshell butterflies and bumblebees.  I have been seeing a few bumblebees about the last few days..I am assuming they are queen bees out of hibernation searching for a suitable nest site…any bee experts out there who can confirm this? 

Thanks to Ian Sim from the Stonehaven Dolphin Research Trust for organizing our sea watch and also to all the visitors who came along to say hello.

We will get some photos uploaded tomorrow

Vicky

Parents Comment Children
No Data