On first impressions the reserve seems quiet at the moment, especially as the greylags seem to have departed, but there is still plenty to be seen if you are patient.

I spent a couple of hours on the reserve today, doing a few jobs and eating my lunch in Reedbed Hide. A dozen teal were looking splendid on the mere, one (or more) kingfisher(s) visited briefly (I saw two together yesterday), a juvenile sparrowhawk glided past, and a marsh harrier drifted over the reedbed at 2.05pm. I couldn't work out if the harrier was an adult female or a juvenile.

Also noted were several bullfinches, a couple of goldcrests, a great spotted woodpecker, the usual noisy tit flock, and more blackbirds than usual. Many thrushes have been seen entering the country recently (e.g. 2000 blackbirds over Holme* and 20,000 fieldfares over Snettisham** on Monday), and they must be starting to spread out now. 

Unfortunately you are unlikely to see the two jack snipe that we have flushed while cutting reeds, but the three barn owl chicks are still showing well in/out of their box.

* see Norfolk Ornithologists' Association: Recent sightings 11th Nov; ** see Titchwell blog 15th Nov

Parents
  • A lovely few hours at Fowlmere this morning (6th). Had a good view of a mink along the nature trail path which I then saw head along the stream Several woodpeckers - green & great spotted. 4 teal at the main hide.

Any reports of bitterns at the minute? -i could have sworn I heard a boom (just by spring hide -looking towards the main hide) just briefly and enough to wonder if I imagined it.

I also spotted a pair of bullfinches. Always lovely to see the barn owls at least one visible at the nest box.

Comment
  • A lovely few hours at Fowlmere this morning (6th). Had a good view of a mink along the nature trail path which I then saw head along the stream Several woodpeckers - green & great spotted. 4 teal at the main hide.

Any reports of bitterns at the minute? -i could have sworn I heard a boom (just by spring hide -looking towards the main hide) just briefly and enough to wonder if I imagined it.

I also spotted a pair of bullfinches. Always lovely to see the barn owls at least one visible at the nest box.

Children
No Data