Recent Sightings

I have to say I am very disappointed at the regularity of recent sightings for Fairburn Ings.Other RSPB sites have much better updates,even daily in some cases.Surely the first thing people do when thinking of paying a visit to a reserve is to check the recent sightings and decide which is the most interesting to them.I think the last recent sightings for Fairburn was the 7th May,it is now 1st June.I myself like to check recent sightings as I'm sure a lot of people do,it could put them off visiting Fairburn and instead going elsewhere.It makes it look as if you can't be bothered,sorry but that's how it appears.I know there are the blogs but they are not the same.   

• I agree with you - all the fabulous birds we have had through lately - Garganeys, Black Terns, Bartailed Godwit - multitudes of Warblers down Lin Dyke etc and the best sightings they can come up with is a pheasant with chicks and a cow cooling down - and the Black winged Stilt has never even got a mention!

Also why are the water levels down Lin Dyke kept so high? missing out on the waders that seem to be dropping into all the other local spots.

• Some interesting comments here, particularly with respect to water levels, and sightings.  Is there not a mechanism for the "friends of Fairburn" to channel recommendations/concerns to those who run it...perhaps a monthly bimonthly meeting between staff and the group?

• I'm not a member of staff.  I have visited Fairburn Ings many times with my children and enjoy both the site and the company of enthusiastic nature lovers.  In my day job harnessing the ideas of all those employed is vital for us to innovate and progress as a company, it strikes me that there more be hundreds (if not thousands) of years of bird/nature experience amongst those who attend Fairburn, it would be prudent for those managing the experience to capture the ideas.  Obviously this has to be done in an appropriate way in order that it not be an onerous time consuming task, if there was a "Friends of Fairburn/Bird watching club" at Fairburn, then concerns/issues could be grouped and then appropriately discussed with the full time staff at Fairburn and reported back.  

(PhilB) I can't comment on whether your comments are upsetting, or how onerous a task updating sites daily would be (perhaps weekly could be managed).  One thing is for sure though, if the comments are not considered then nothing will change.

• To be fair I can't see what the problem is. Places like Blacktoft Sands and Old Moor manage almost daily updates so I don't see why Fairburn should be different. I see another blog has appeared on the 'sightings' Page with no mention at all of the recently left Black Winged Stilts or the staying Garganeys on Pick Up. I have been visiting Fairburn almost daily for the past 40 years and my father before me and I check the regular sightings on other reserves before I pay a visit. Not everybody can subscribe to costly information services so a note on the site would be very welcome - case in point Black Winged Stilt - never mentioned as far as I could see - think of all that extra shopping they could be missing out on.

To be also fair, Fairburn does pull in some good stuff and regular - hence the need for regular updates - aimed at birdwatchers rather than day trippers, however I have virtually stopped going into Lin Dyke Hide as the water levels are kept too high and it is frustrating to see waders dropping into other local reserves and by passing Fairburn for the sake of a bit of mud down Lin Dyke - we miss out. As I say, RSPB is a multi million pound concern and should not need 'groups' 'Friends' just to bang out a few lines of regular sightings or to crate a bit of mud where needed

Regards

• I realise that they want people to call into the shop and spend some money and that's fine but I would think that many RSPB members,myself included,rarely do,although I have spent a large amount on binoculars and a scope etc. but most of the time spent there is to see the wildlife so regular sightings updates at an RSPB reserve is a must in my opinion.Why is there time to do blogs but not sightings ? these seem to centre around the feeding station, just a stones throw away is Pick-Up hide if someone just looked at the board in there and mentioned those sightings it would be a start.I do think there are some very good points on here,thankyou for your replies.Something else I'd like to ask ...........when people take the trouble to write on the forum why are so many not given a reply from the staff at Fairburn,might even help in their favour.