Map needed please help

Hello and seasons greetings to all-I have a request. I would like you to point me in the direction of a DETAILED map of the Fairburn Ings reserve featuring all the names and references for the different areas. I know where "Big Hole" is for example but Ive no idea where Cedric's pond is nor Newfield Plantation. I am familiar with much of the area but its the names that throw me so a point of reference would be much appreciated..If there is nothing currently available it would only take one of your IT wizards a few minutes to produce a printable sheet/map -I hope you can help. Thankyou Red
  • Thankyou Roland it does indeed have some of the areas marked but Cedric's for example doesn't appear on this map so need a more detailed one -I'm sure this could be adapted to cover all the places people refer to.

• Cedric's in the small pool over the road from New Flash.

Parkers Pool is the Pool just before Ledston Village on the corner.

Ibis pool is the small marshy pool off Lin Dyke Path, jus past the first viewing screen.

Pylon Pool is the pool down Lin Dyke with the Pylon in it - surprisingly.

I personally split Hicksons into 2, as there are two parts to it - Near and Far.

When I was a lad in the 70's birding Fairburn the top part of the Moat where the Cormorants nest was always named Priory Pond due to the ruined building - this name stuck with me.

Newfield Plantation is the wood you can see when you look across the field from the visitor centre car park.

I have updated the map but I can't see how to attach it? send me an email address and I will send it to you, or follow me on twitter @Dawson58Dawson and I will post it on there

• Robert, surely the map is a .jpg format or can be converted to jpg ?. If so, why not post it in the "Photos" tab at the top of this page as I am sure many people would be grateful for that. Alternatively, you could try clicking on "Use Rich Format" at the bottom right of the message box and then use the "Insert/Edit Media" icon. For instance, if the map was .jpg format then it would look like this:

It would also help if the RSPB actually posted your map for download somewhere on the Fings community home page. I have been using Fings now for over 30 years and still didn't know some of the area names. I think a large scale version of this map would be excellent (depending on copyright of course) so some of us could modify it for our own use. Possible??

Hope this helps.

Denis.

• Hi Robert,

Thankyou very much indeed -your help is greatly appreciated--please send to this e mail address:  jamesguinea@gmail.com  I dont know if the RSPB would be interested in a copy as it would be helpful to lots of other people too. Once again a heartfelt thankyou.

Redwolf

• Struggling with this - when I click on photos there is no option to upload anything? I click photo - new photo then nothing happens?

• Thankyou Dennis I hope somebody with the IT skills and site knowledge is able to act on your suggestions-as you say even regular Fairburn birders dont all know the names of the area so there is a need here that needs to be met.

• Dennis / James - I have emailed you the map direct. Not sure what the problem at my end of the site is - I am actually a graphic designer and work doing this sort of thing - so I am not sure what the problem is

• Are you trying to put it here using the rich formatting or trying to put it into the Photos tab at the top of the page Robert?

• Hi All, the map of the reserve is available for download on our main website as a .pdf document (www.rspb.org.uk/fairburnings). We don't include the names of absolutely everything on the reserve as the map would become very cluttered and difficult to read. It is designed for people to be able to navigate their way round the reserve, so its important the map is nice and clear.

I have got a detailed map of the reserve with all the different areas identified.  I'll try and upload it on here if I can, bear with me whilst I work out how to do it.

Beki