st Aidens needs to be sorted ASAP

Hi I returned to St Aidens yesterday and saw amongst other things a beautiful female marsh harrier hunting the reedbeds as i was higher than she was it was a pretty unique viewing experience. Made my day! The Harrier was pretty much in the same area as the bittern was booming from earlier in the year. This awesome place is attracting rare and wonderful species like these so can somebody please kick a few backsides and get it back into the full time care of the RSPB and get the center functioning as a properly supervised and protected reserve -its been over a year now and the dispute that led to closure is still not resolved..
  • Hi Redwolf,

Thanks for your comments I’m really pleased you had a great time at St Aidan’s. You’re right it is a fantastic place for wildlife and although the visitor centre and car park are closed (due to the on-going land ownership issues), please rest assured that the Aire Valley team are still responsible for the habitat management and conservation of the site, actually we’re busy maintaining the islands on site at the moment so you might see us around.

As for the visitor centre, until we have a long term lease we have to be patient, but by all means please let Leeds City Council know how much you love the site and how you want to see the RSPB visitor centre back open.

Cheers Julie.  

• This is what ive sent to Leeds City Council :

St Aidens wetlands and country park why hasnt it been leased out to the RSPB-there are extremely rare and valuable birds and other wild life including bitterns and marsh harriers living here -it NEEDS Care and supervision and LCC has a responsibility to help protect Natures home--lets see an agreement reached and the RSPB managing the place to protect wildlife and educate people !!

• Well done RW & I must applaud your efforts!  Great to read about your having seen the Marsh Harrier & I hope they will adopt this location as a breeding site next year!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr