Fairburn Inngs the new Camargue?

Had an hour or so to kill so went down to Lin Dyke at Fairburn and once there not only did I find the glossy ibis feeding meters from the path but there were also seven little egrets feeding alongside it!!! To my mind this looked like a family -a pair with five fledged young. I stayed transfixed for a good while and to be honest it was more akin to the south of France than Yorkshire !! Great way to pass some time though. Was a bit sluffed that i didnt get to see the spoonbills though--but there is always next time !
  • Sounds great Redwolf!  I'm long overdue for a trip to Fairburn Ings and it sounds as though I will have to make that trip up the A1 again before too long - you have some great birds there at the moment.  Must have been a wonderful sight to see the glossy ibis alongside the little egrets.

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• Thanx Christine Yes you must Im sure you will get some great pictures too.

Ive just popped onto your photo page -THEY ARE STUNNING -i wish i could take pics like that--would need a decent camera i guess but those are really impressive !
  • Hi Redwolf - thank you for such kind words about my photos - to be honest I only post my very best photos on Flickr - you should see how many get deleted before I get to the ones I like!

I must admit I love my camera - it's a bridging camera, not a DSLR, and I am more than happy with the photos it takes - it has a good zoom on so I can get some decent close ups.

I wonder whether the glossy Ibis will hang around for another couple of weeks or so?  My parents live just five miles from Fairburn and we often call in at the site when I visit them but as they can't walk too far, we only ever go as far as the kingfisher screen.  I work in a school and have the long summer holidays coming up in a couple of weeks (yippee!!) and so I think I will make a longer visit to Fairburn on my own so that I can see a bit more.  I don't know the rest of the site all that well - do you get to Lin Dyke hide if you carry on walking up the hill after the kingfisher screen, or do you have to drive elsewhere to get to it?

• Lin Dyke is not at the main site you can get to it from there as you say from up the hill where the kingfisher hide is to the gate then turn right away from the other hides but the easiest way is as you leave the main site turn left go down the road past the lakes on both sides you will come to a parking space on just before a sharp bend park there then go back to the road and go right till you come to the gate signed public footpath if you follow that you will come to the Lin Dyke hide the Ibis was at a pond near the wood screen before you get to the hide its self hope this makes sense good watching

• Hi Christine ive just posted a map in the photos showing where Lin Dyke is hope it helps .

• Hi Christine,

If you can you want to park by the water trough at the top of the village -next to the cut which leads to Charlies hide --now if you carry on to the river and then turn right behind the lakes after about a mile of so you will come to the kingfisher screen and on to the center. Personally i would go down to Charlies hide and then walk back up to the car. To get to Lin Dyke to drive on past the center about a mile or so there is a little RSPB car park.  Come back to the road then follow the path towards the river- The whole sight is very stretched out with the center basically in the middle. There are maps at The cut, the center and at Lin Dyke car park.

It is possible to walk right round the back and do a circuit but its several miles -  i usually chose one end or the other as its a big site to do in one go.  Dont know whether the ibis will stay for the school hols, its been gone and come back again a couple of times. Apparently we have spoonbills too but i haven't managed to spot them yet. The egret family was fantastic too-the most i've ever seen at one time.

I was a teacher till last summer --now i have time to get out into nature with my binoculars -and Im loving it !! Cant really keep away altogether as i was helping out with a school party at Old Moor last week -lovely day for the kids but not the same as when i'm communing with nature !!!!

Hope that helps a bit.

Steve -Redwolf

• Phil - thank you for the directions and the map - I think I know the parking area that you mean and am sure I should be able to find if from there. Nice of you to take the time to post.

Steve - thanks for all the extra info and directions.  I have never walked round the whole site - there must be so much more of the reserve that I've never seen.  I have a friend who likes walking so maybe I will drag her along with me in the holidays and do the whole circuit.

I know what you mean about communing with nature!  I only discovered this pastime about three years ago and am now addicted to going outdoors and finding anything - birds, butterflies, insects, flowers - am now at the stage where I know a bit about all sorts but not an expert at any of them!!  Although I'm getting much better with my birds.  Glad you're enjoying your free time.  I am a teaching assistant so at least when the holidays come, they are all holidays and I don't have to plan, assess and prepare lessons!