Avocets and other interesting observations

Hello Just wanted to share why Fairburn is a great place to spend a couple of hours. Friday afternoon and I manage to park by the trough at the Head of the Cut and walk down to Charlie's Hide. Goldfinch,chaffinch, chiffchaff, robin, wren, dunnock and blackbird were the main singers. And an unexpected plus was the presence of some very cute and playful new lambs! Looking out from the hide two great crested grebes were bobbing and turning to each other, but alas they didn't do the paddle across the surface that i so much wanted to see! Amongst all the usual suspects it was noted that out of ten goosander only one was a male in direct contrast to a few weeks ago when the position was reversed on the same bit of water! Why the single male/female??? After enjoying the sight of sand martins once again swooping over the water and watching shelduck and oyster catchers i really hoped the kingfisher would show up. Suddenly he called and there he was buzzing past me- a whirling blue jewel so bright and spended!! I next walked round the back of the lagoons noticing many pairs of understated gadwall and some glorious little teal feeding at the waters edge. Out in the bay one pair of goldeneye were so synchronised in their diving they looked like Olympians. The unusually quiet black headed gulls rose squawking when the male sparrow hawk put in an appearance but he just veered away with hardly a wing beat! I had a nice chat with a lady Rspb volunteer who urged me to go to Bob Dickin's hide. Eventually I reached Bob Dickin's Hide and from there i could see the little islands to the left and there much to my delight were a least two avocets!!! This is a first for me ! Avocets! The emblem of the RSPB at Fairburn superb stuff!!! A great spotted wood pecker and a lovely hovering kestrel were the highlights of my return walk and i was left to reflect on the richness and satisfaction provided by two hours at Fairburn. Ps if this isn't in a blog please tell me how to post a blog . Thanks REDWOLF
  • Hello again if anyone reads this i have been down to see the avocets today and......there were SIX I also saw THREE kingfishers all at once from Charlie's hide -great stuff .

• Hello Redwolf!  Yes, I did read your above post - don't know why I didn't post a reply, but anyway I will rectify that now!  I know Fairburn Ings quite well as my parents live just 5 miles away and I often take them for a trip there when I visit them.  I've never seen an avocet at Fairburn Ings, nor a kingfisher come to that!  I have stood so many times by the kingfisher hide and never seen one, so you have inspired me to go back for another visit soon.  Three at once is quite greedy!!!  Lol!  It is a lovely site though.  I have spent many a happy hour wandering round there.  

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• You wont believe this but i had never seen a kingfisher at the screen hide then a couple of months ago i told a guy this and he said he nearly always saw one so i went up and sure enough there was a kingfisher and there have been kingfishers EVERY time ive been since!!! I have no explanation but im certainly not complaining.

• From the road side this morning looking towards bob dickens hide on the islands there were 15 avocet, most ive seen at fairburn.Funny though because I called at swillington on way home and they didnt have one !