Dog owners

What should we do with people who collect dog faeces then toss the bag in to the trees or grass verge? Or even discard it on the gate post ? This is all too common at fairburn Inngs Its is a health hazard and absolutely disgusting as it never washes away and dog owners need to be held responsible.
  • Hello again Redwolf,

I think everyone would agree that this is a nasty issue. With regards to what we can do about it at Fairburn, the answer is complicated. Most of the paths at Fairburn are public footpaths and are accessible at all times. We have no legal powers to enforce proper use of these. Sites that are "closed" such as Old Moor have much more control over how visitors can use their footpaths. We have looked at providing dog poo bins but they proved very expensive and we took the decision that we should be spending this money directly on wildlife conservation at the site. - Chris Woolner

• hmmm so what you are saying Chris is that nothing is going to change.

I think a solution needs to be found, even if it is a difficult process. A start could be made with the paths that are not public right of way. At least then parents, as well as other members of the public, would know there was somewhere that wasn't endangering the health of their children when they tried to involve them in the idea of supporting wildlife.

• It is a complex issue redwolf that we would like to improve. We would not want to exclude responsible dog owners from permissive paths. We do exclude them from the childrens play area for the reasons you outline. I would be happy to discuss any ideas for solutions you have if you would like to call 01977628191 or drop by.

• I made a suggestion to begin to address the situation which you say you wouldn't want to happen -what you don't say is why. Another responsible dog owner has left a great pile on the wild flower bed right next to the centre which children have to pass to access the play area its there right now greeting visitors as they arrive --If the paths round the centre were dog free it would be a start and a start has to be made somewhere-- I see no reason why pet dogs have to be allowed here.

Just this morning a dog admittedly on a lead, jumped up at me making my coat and trousers filthy, but the point is that if id been a child it would have knocked me over and terrified me into the bargain. I will see if you are in next time I'm down there Chris and we can see if we can improve this situation.

• Sure. If you let me know in advance I will try to make sure I am there to meet you. I do get your point and I am sorry that you have had such a negative experience. - chris

• no far from it, i had a great morning: heron mobbing buzzard- kingfisher flying circuits from Pickup hide, fighting Canada geese,  nesting herons and cormorants, green woodpeckers calling great spotted woodpecker drumming,many many reed buntings, tree sparrows , goldfinches various titmice , wrens, robins etc Then a pair of kingfishers diving at the kingfisher screen Another buzzard  and a pair of mallard playing peekaboo on  the dipping pond---all the more reason to lessen the negatives as much as possible cos Fairburn is a great place for nature -not dogs lol

• I would like to ask what does actually happen when a bag of the stuff is left, do the staff remove it or leave it where it is ? I realise that obviously not all paths are the responsibility of the staff BUT the main paths especially around the visitor centre surely must be a priority and act as an advertisement for the reserve and as Redwolf points out it must pose as a health risk so close to the play area and as there is a a place so close to this to water and even leave your dog tied up surely there should be a bin and notices for people to clean up too, as a matter of interest are there any bins ? I go to Fairburn most days and I can't say I've actually noticed them. I would also like to add that drinks bottles etc. are also left as were today on the boardwalk handrail.I am not anti-dog and don't have any problems at all with people walking their dogs there, I have 5 myself which is why I hate it when people don't clean up after their pets, I never however take them to any of the reserves.I agree with Redwolf that something needs to be done.  

• well,i went to fairburn a few weeks ago and I put in the comments box a card about this subject,we have a dog and we clean up and find we are then walking around with the bag of waste in our hands for ages,no bins.defo will help with bins.

• I have been going for years and could not say where there are any bins I haven't noticed any.There surely should be one at least in the picnic/play/dog area shouldn't there ?

• Sammy - we have a Dickie Bag for places where there are no poop bins, they aren't cheap but they are great for places where there are no bins :) They store the poop bags away and unless someone knows what it is for they wouldn't have a clue! I use it for putting litter in too :)

While it is inconvenient that many RSPB reserves have no bins, I do understand why as look at what happens where there are bins, people just shove more and more stuff into them and it all spills out all over the place.  It isn't difficult for people to take their litter home with them, they carried it out there and it is much lighter carrying the rubbish back!