Feeders are too far... from my lens

Fairburn Ings is my favorite reserve. During many trips I noticed that most visitors use lenses within 300mm. To make a nice picture of a small bird must be no more than 4 - 5 meters from the lens. Unfortunately, most feeders is too far away, I saw the other RSPB reserves that some feeders are closer, for example Dearne Valley - Old Moor has several feeders only 3 - 4 meters from the hiding place and did there nice pictures of bullfinches. Is there any real chance to just closer a few feeders in pickup hide? Regards.
  • Hello there!  Thanks a lot for your feedback - we're always eager to find out what we can do to make visitors to Fairburn Ings even happier, and it's really great to hear that we're your favourite reserve.  Unfortunately, it would be impractical to move the feeders at Pickup Hide closer than they already are, as they are at the top of a small slope next to the hide, where their bases are protected from flooding.  Also, the natural clearing where they are currently located narrows to a small, steep path where it would be difficult to place them.  There are great photo opportunities in places like the feeder screen for example, where the feeders are no more than a few metres from the hiding place.  At the moment, we also have a christmas tree outside the visitor centre which is decorated with bird treats, so this is a fantastic place to get as close as you can to take photos - there were all sorts of tits and finches on there this morning.  I hope this answers your questions - thanks again for your enquiry - Lizzie