Storm Brendan may have cleared Old Moor of all but the most determined visitors today, but yet there were sightings! For me the most surprising birds at Old Moor today were some of the most humble – tree sparrows in (surprisingly) the Tree Sparrow Farm. But I am getting ahead of myself, here is the summary of sightings…

At a similarly cold and blustery Edderthorpe today, the recent great white egret was still there, sticking out like a sore thumb among the little egrets.

Although wellies are required, Wombwell Ings provided some of the most unusual sightings of the day with chiffchaff, stonechat and little owl chief among them.

Meanwhile back at Old Moor there was little change in the birds today except that the weather made finding anything on the Reedbed Trail tricky.

Changes on the reserve were a bit easier to spot. The car park is undergoing its transformation; new ponds have been dug; and this morning the reserve team began to dismantle the Family Hide.

And I never even got to say goodbye!

Yes, before the breeding season arrives, the first phases of the Giving Nature a Home in the Dearne project must be completed. For those of us used to the slow passage of the seasons, it may seem like ‘all change’. But before you know it, the Family Hide’s replacement will be up and look a bit like this…

Wonder what the porch is for?

Until next time.

Parents Comment Children
No Data