C19 update - With 'stay at home' restrictions being in force and the Reserve, Wetlands Centre and Hide being closed, one might wonder how we manage to keep the Campfield Community Blog up to date without flouting the rules.

Firstly, our property is virtually surrounded by the RSPB Reserve and our allowed daily walk, whichever way we go, automatically takes us on to the Reserve. The Reserve is closed with the exception of the road and public footpath (the Lonning being part of this). The Lonning actually runs through the middle of the recently completed wetland area to the south - with the International Pools being on it's east flank, Paisley Pools to the west and Holton Fen running across the south end. The main road runs along the back of the Estuary and saltmarsh and affords good views of the saltmarsh and extended pools areas. So I am able to do my once daily exercise walk along either of these routes legitimately (always carrying my camera and long lens).  I do not come into contact with anybody else and so self-distancing doesn't actually apply ( but would if necessary).

5th April 2020

From an essentially sunny dry week, this walk was probably the most notable.

Having chosen to leave the house and cross over the road on to the top of the saltmarsh. I was surprised to see how much debris, from last month's gales, had accumulated just behind the bank of gorse lining the road. It was a regular suntrap and had attracted several butterflies (Small Tortoiseshell and Peacocks - first time seen this year) who were basking on the dry driftwood. 

Small Tortoiseshell butterfly alighted on driftline, on the back of the marsh.

Peacock Butterfly on driftwood.

It was not an especially high tide but a small Oystercatcher roost formed on the edge of the marsh as it came in and our resident Crow could not resist checking them out. The gorse, which fringes the saltmarsh, was just coming into flower and looked quite spectacular in the sunlight . . . as did a male Pheasant and a Shelduck who were foraging in the vicinity.

Crow inspecting the Oystercatcher troupe.

Pheasant in sunshine on saltmarsh.

Shelduck dabbling amongst the shingle.

Gorse in bloom along the marsh.

Returning along the road to the Lonning entrance, I first heard the repetitive song and then picked out a Chiffchaff singing from one of the small hawthorns along the top of the marsh.

Chiffchaff belting out its song from marsh-side hawthorns.

Walking down the Lonning is great, in that the recent wetlands management work has completely transformed the areas on either side which are now viewable from the various viewpoints.

Greylag Goose and Redshank on International Pools.

Lapwing on breeding fields.

Curlew and Starling taking off from meadows round Paisley Pools.

Pinkfeet over the Lonning.

Grey Heron on Holton Fen . . .

. . .  joined by Little Egret - there were five in total that day.

On the return leg, I was able to watch a pair of Pied Wagtails chasing insects on the south end of the International Pools

Pied Wagtails feeding around the edge of the International Pools.