On Monday afternoon, as I walked along the All-ability trail at Broadwater, I heard my first Woodlark of the year.  I caught just tiny fragments of the distant song on the breeze, coming from somewhere on the eastern side of the reserve.  But the crispness of the sound brought a smile to my face and tells me that a new season is well on the way.

Several colleagues, volunteers and visitors have already heard Woodlarks at the Warren this year; the first song was heard on 8th of January. But my own recent visits had all proved unfruitful, for hearing this iconic bird.

The beautiful song of the woodlark (so much more melodious than the Skylark) is particularly poignant for Broadwater because it is a bird that been missing for so many years.  The acquisition of the site in 2007 by the RSPB, and the subsequent habitat restoration is the reason we can enjoy hearing this lovely bird at Broadwater and in the Parish of Frant.  So, a big thank you to all the RSPB members, supporters and funders for making this happen.  The woodlark one of the earliest arrivals making Broadwater their home this year and permanently.  Many more rare species will return, both this Spring and in the years to come.  It's an exciting prospect.

On Tuesday I returned to Broadwater on a scheduled visit with our regional ecologist.  This time there was a Woodlark in full song, hovering high up in the sky, announcing his territory and advertising to potential mates.  So, the season has begun in earnest, and the song of Woodlarks will be heard throughout the coming weeks and months.

To hear for yourself, try getting to Broadwater Warren on a lovely sunny morning, and following the All-ability path and Nature Trail towards the Decoy Pond.  There's a good chance you will hear the song.  ....and even if you don't you might hear crossbills 'pipping' overhead, see a buzzard circling, a sleepy lizard beside the path, or catch the blue flash of a Kingfisher at the pond. 

Steve (Site Manager)