Guillemots (Spot the Bridled Guillemot!)

Looking at the weather forecasts, today was destined to be rather inclement with rain and wintery showers all day. It's a good job that weather forecasts for this part of East Yorkshire are generally wrong! The morning was bright and frosty with an increasing south westerly blow, with snow showers blowing in late afternoon. It was a great day to be out on the cliffs for a bracing walk and engaging with the wildlife!

As I arrived at the Dell, a Barn Owl briefly paused on a post - today was going to be good!

The sun was just rising over the hills, begging an image which I happily obliged through the bushes of the Dell.

Walking down to the viewpoints, the North Yorkshire costal hills beyond Scarborough were graced with snow!

No snow capped hills looking towards Flamborough but stunning views none the less!

As I approached the cliffs, the guttural sounds of Guillemots broke the silence, thousands of them, on the ledges, on the sea and in flight! I felt like joining them in song until I remembered (1) I don't know any words to songs and (2) I can't sing! Interestingly, there were only two Guillemots reported yesterday.

I am often asked "How can you tell the sexes of the seabirds?". Well this is how!

Bridled Guillemot

It was very noticeable that the Gannet numbers had increased, with many coming in close to the cliffs, almost landing but aborting and flying back out to sea. At Jubilee Corner five Gannets were on the cliffs at nests which was a pleasure to see.

Some decided to play "Geronimo"!

One of my favourite birds, the Fulmar, are also in good numbers and never fail to impress!

Great Black Backed Gull

Porpoise numbers were good. It is rare to see anything more than the dorsal fin break the water! I decided to try and photograph one, 400ft below me!

And finally, todays sightings!