Guillemots

Late January already, where does the time go? Today was relatively overcast with a strengthening south westerly blow but feeling quite mild. The cliffs were full of action with an estimate of 30,000 Guillemots on the ledges, on the sea and in flight. A wonderful sound with their guttural calls mixing with the increasing number of Gannets and Fulmars. Last week there were only five Gannets on the cliffs but this has now increased to about forty but many more in flight and on the sea. Two firsts for the year (for me), a Peregrine and a fly through Kittiwake! Interestingly, of the eight main breeding birds at Bempton, five were present today - Gannet; Fulmar; Herring Gull; Guillemot; Shag (six if you include the single fly through Kittiwake), with only Razorbill and Puffin missing! Throughout todays blog I have also attempted to include some birds in flight shots. This is very much work in progress!

So what else was about?

The largest number of birds today undoubtedly fell to the Guillemots!

"You're a bit different mate!" Bridled Guillemot
"Up a bit, down a bit, yes, yes, just there!"

It was very noticeable that the number of Gannets are increasing
A "gift" for my beloved!

Inevitably, with increasing numbers, squabbles will break out! Those bills are not to be underestimated!

The delightful Fulmars
Herring Gull

Great Black Backed Gull

At sea, training, the Filey RNLB Keep Fit Association, at speed!