I put my best foot forward at the end of May, completing a 70km trail run in the Azores, fundraising as I went for Baron’s Haugh. The final tally fundraising – wise was £260 and thankfully I finished in one piece, just! However, our justgiving page is still live, so if you have an urge to donate to this cause, please feel free to do so by texting haug82 and your amount e.g. haug82 £5 to 70070. Thank you.

The run started at 05:00am and it took me 11 hours to complete the 70km route. It was a truly beautiful run!

I ended up running with a Belgian guy called Ben. We were both very pleased to have finished!

Meanwhile back at the reserve, monitoring has been in full swing since April with the continuation of our WeBS surveys, breeding wildfowl surveys and grasshopper warbler surveys. Interestingly, the diversity of wildfowl on these surveys has been down on previous years, yet coots, heron and water rail have all featured as prevalently as previous years. As well as this, we’re gearing up to do a full INNS plant survey of the reserve and we’ll have our fingers crossed that this year will show a reduction of the density of species such as Himalayan Balsam which we worked really hard to remove last year. Hopefully the warm, sunny weather we experienced throughout much of June will continue!

I hope to see you around the reserve soon!

Mark.