• Visiting Scotland's seabird cities

Kara Brydson, Senior Marine Policy Officer at RSPB Scotland, tells us about a recent visit to one of the wildlife wonders of the world.

Visiting Scotland's seabird cities

Imagine leaving work at the end of an unremarkable day. Within the hour you’re at what Sir David Attenborough calls ‘one of the wildlife wonders of the world’. That’s what I did on Wednesday night, along with 30 others on an RSPB Scotland ’Date…

• Choose sealife! Scotland's seabirds need your help.

http://vimeo.com/67199080

Scotland's seabirds are suffering devastating declines. We have one chance to help them where they need it most - out at sea. Support Marine Protected Areas for seabirds and give them a fighting chance.

Find out how you can help protect seabirds visit: rspb.org.uk/choosesealife

• Nature's Larder Part 2

New foraging blog from James Reynolds, RSPB Scotland Head of Media & Communications.

Nature's Larder Part 2

I spent an all-too-brief couple of days south of the border at my parent’s home in Cheshire at the weekend to celebrate my father’s birthday and see my sister, brother-in-law and three little nieces, too.

On the Sunday morning, before I set off to return to Edinburgh, I took my two eldest…

• Nature's larder: making the most of spring greens

An introduction to foraging from James Reynolds, Head of Media & Communications for RSPB Scotland.

Nature's larder: making the most of spring greens

For the forager, the winter months offer extremely lean pickings. It is a time to hunker down and savour the goods that one invested time and energy in seeking out and then preserving for the leaner times: sloe gin, elderflower wine or port, dried mushrooms or some…

• A new career in a new town

Brand new blog from RSPB Scotland Trainee Ecologist, David Freeman. Find out more about the fascinating Bryophytes found on our reserves!

A New Career in a New Town

Back in March, I was delighted to be offered the position of Trainee Ecologist based at RSPB Scotland's Edinburgh HQ. The role is a fantastic opportunity to build on and develop a range of Ecological skills as well as a chance to undertake some real conservation…

• Island living: searching for twite in the Hebrides

RSPB Scotland Research Assistant, Davide Scridel, is out searching for an elusive bird in the Outer Hebrides. Find out more about his experiences and check out his fantastic photos below!

Island living: searching for twite in the Hebrides

The subject of the 2013 Statutory Conservation Agency/RSPB Annual Breeding Bird Scheme is the twite! The first survey, in 1999, produced a population estimate of 10,000 pairs with…

• Taking the slow road: surveying fungi on the banks of Loch Lomond

Brand new blog from Chris Knowles, RSPB Scotland Nature Counts Trainee Ecologist.

Taking the slow road: surveying fungi on the banks of Loch Lomond

This end of a frosty spring is about as far from being mushroom season as you can get, and yet that’s what I had high hopes of finding on one of my first outings as a ‘Nature counts trainee ecologist’.

With the recent weather in mind, I set out on a surprisingly…

• Greetings from the STAR (Seabird Tracking And Research) team on Colonsay!

Introducing a new series of blogs from RSPB Scotland Conservation Scientists. First up is Emily Scragg, Senior Research Assistant with the Seabird Tracking And Research team on Colonsay.

Greetings from the STAR (Seabird Tracking And Research) team on Colonsay!

It is our fourth year here on the island (and my first) carrying out seabird tracking work with the previous three years tracking carried out as part of the Future…

• Countdown to Scottish Birdfair!

Countdown to Scottish Birdfair! May 11-12 at Hopetoun House near Edinburgh

With a little over 1 week to go before the second annual Scottish Birdfair, it’s all go in the office as we finalise plans for the big weekend.

The award-winning festival* attracted some 5,000 visitors in 2012 and is expected to be even bigger and better this year.

The Scottish Birdfair will host over 100 exhibitors showcasing everything…