• Nevermore Nevermore...

More Halloween fun from RSPB Media & Communications Officer, Melanie Paget!

Nevermore Nevermore...

“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
    Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
    While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
    As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
    `'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
    Only…

• Ghostly goings on at RSPB reserves...

RSPB Media & Communications officer, Melanie Paget, has rounded up the very best in spooky stories from our reserves.

Ghostly goings on at Scottish reserves...

A raven to set the mood (photo: Chris Gomersall)

You might be forgiven for thinking that braving the Scottish weather this October was a scary enough prospect in itself, however it seems that many of the RSPB reserves in South and West Scotland have…

• Foraging and then fungi

Our very own James Reynolds, Head of Media & Communications at RSPB Scotland, tells us about a favourite pastime.

Foraging and then fungi…

My enthusiasm for all things mycological began about 15 years ago, when someone first bought me a copy of Richard Mabey’s seminal foraging bible Food for Free as a birthday gift. Already a veritable foodie with a deep love of cooking, as well as an enthusiastic outdoor…

• A Very Hungry Caterpillar...

Rebekah Stackhouse, RSPB Scotland's Education and Youth Programmes Manager, reminds us that a connection to nature begins on our doorsteps.

A Very Hungry Caterpillar...

Wiggling towards a greater connection with nature

So, what did you have for...

• Loch of Strathbeg wind turbine: Frequently Asked Questions

You may have noticed several articles in the news about our plans to install a small wind turbine on our Loch of Strathbeg reserve. We thought we'd put together some information about the plan and process to help answer any questions.

Loch of Strathbeg wind turbine- Frequently Asked Questions

Q1) Surely a turbine located so close to Loch of Strathbeg is going to kill lots of birds?

Absolutely not. RSPB Scotland…

• The lark descending

New blog from Conservation Manager Stuart Benn.

The Lark Descending

12 October was Ralph Vaughan Williams’ birthday and that’s the only excuse I need to write about Skylarks.  RVW’s The Lark Ascending is amongst the most popular pieces of music ever written and it consistently crops up in the favourite selections on Desert Island Discs and is picked by a very wide range of guests.  In a recent documentary…

• We need your help to protect Hunterston

We need your help to protect Hunterston

In June this year we learned that the plans for a massively polluting coal-fired power station on the SSSI at Hunterston had been dropped. This was a great victory for the environment and public campaigning. We need to ensure North Ayrshire Council safeguard this important wildlife site for the future. Find out how you can help.

• A National Disgrace

Conservation Manager, Stuart Benn, reflects on the discovery of a dead golden eagle earlier this year.

A National Disgrace

Take a look at this bird.  It is now dead.

http://vimeo.com/27249995

The video was taken on 23 June 2011 when we were fitting a satellite tag to this golden eagle chick at its nest high in the hills above Loch Ness.  It took its first flight on 20 July and, from time to time during that summer and…