• Response for Nature

Yesterday evening, I was pleased to join colleagues from across the conservation movement to launch our Response for Nature: Scotland.  This was one of four reports, launched yesterday, addressing each of the four jurisdictions in the UK.  Each is supported by a diverse range of NGOs, all working with the common purpose of halting the loss of wildlife and protecting the special places on which it depends.

The project…

• Standing up for Protected Areas

Standing up for Protected Areas

Male hen harrier (Andy Hay rspb-images.com)

This week Dumfries and Galloway Council planning committee will make an important planning decision.  It will put the spotlight on Scotland’s duties to protect the best places in Europe for wildlife and it will test our decision makers’ commitment to uphold Europe’s extremely popular protected areas legislation.   

On the …

• The Islay goose strategy and why we have complained to Europe

The Islay goose strategy and why we have complained to Europe

Barnacle geese (Andy Hay rspb-images.com)

Of all our extraordinary wildlife, some of our most significant responsibilities in global terms are the populations of Arctic-breeding wild geese which migrate south annually to spend the winter in our country. I’m always moved as the first skeins of geese appear out of the northern skies.

These geese come…

• Why farming matters to conservation and RSPB Scotland

Why farming matters to conservation and RSPB Scotland

Making a living from farming is never straightforward at the best of times but sometimes events conspire to make it particularly challenging. This year’s poor summer weather combined with difficult market conditions (exacerbated by Russia’s President Putin banning much EU produce) coupled with changes afoot in CAP support regimes are taking their toll, with many…

• A Plan of Action for Peatlands?

A Plan of Action for Peatlands?

A letter published in the Scotsman this week was a real gem. Roy Turnbull, argued well that Scotland should do more to value its forests, peatlands and upland areas as huge stores of carbon and for their ability to sequester carbon from the atmosphere and store it in soil and vegetation. He described these areas as Scotland’s Amazon. I agree with his sentiments - especially the need for…

• An inspiring time at the British Birdfair 2015

An inspiring time at the British Birdfair 2015

I was down at the British Birdfair for the best part of 2 ½ days, and as ever enjoyed it immensely.  Partly it’s about meeting people, old friends of course, but also making new contacts and getting inspired! Equally it’s about being available to talk to members and supporters, or to listen to those who feel a bit disgruntled. 

And it was great to see the…

• Why I’m attending this year’s CLA Gamefair

Why I’m attending this year’s CLA Gamefair 

A redshank at RSPB Geltsdale (photo by Andy Hay rspb-images.com)

I have decided to attend the CLA Gamefair this year, being held at Harewood House.  There was a time back in the day when I was a regular attendee, but I found it more useful to meet folk in small groups, for more constructive discussions, rather than at big set pieces.  But the risk in that I suppose…

• The joys of playing with mud, sticks and leaves: getting children connected to nature

The joys of playing with mud, sticks and leaves: getting children connected to nature

A family pond dipping at Scotland's Big Nature Festival (photo by Anna Pugh)

Just a couple of weekends ago, at Scotland's Big Nature Festival, children were everywhere; hunting for bugs, pond dipping, and generally exploring the wonders of nature.  Over the weekend 1,269 children took part in nature activities, but the popularity…

• Standing up for nature through the planning process

Standing up for nature through the planning process

Photo by Andy Hay (rspb-images.com)

One of the most important things we, that is the RSPB do, is to stand up for nature when roads, ports, energy developments, forestry, housing or quarries threaten important areas for wildlife in the countryside.

We have done this for an awful long time, from proposals to build an airport on the Maplin Sands in the Outer Thames…

• Flippin' lek! How to watch capercaillie without causing a disturbance

Flippin' lek! How to watch capercaillie without causing a disturbance

A male capercaillie displaying by Ben Andrew (rspb-images.com)

With the days lengthening and spring approaching it’s the time of year that capercaillie gather at their traditional lekking sites deep in the pinewoods, to go about their fascinating annual breeding displays. The birds gather at traditional ‘lek’ sites, where the males do combat…

• Spring is on the way - let's connect with nature

Spring is on the way - let's connect with nature

Bluebells in bloom by Andy Hay (rspb-images.com)

With the lengthening days and the warmth now apparent when we get a bit of sun, it is increasingly clear that spring is on the way.  What a great feeling!  I for one find getting up and about seems a whole lot easier, and my energy levels are increasing as each day gets a bit more daylight.

The natural world is similarly…

• Why is illegal raptor persecution still happening?

Why is illegal raptor persecution still happening?

Red kite with chicks by Chris Gomersall (rspb-images.com)

My first job with the RSPB was as an Investigations Officer based at our UK HQ at the Lodge in Bedfordshire. For two and a half years I followed egg collectors, tackled falcon thieves, and assisted the police in searches of the taxidermists who had freezers full of owls, falcons, buzzards and sometimes rarer…

• Seven years of the Langholm Moor Demonstration Project - reasons for Christmas cheer

Red grouse. © Jeremy Wilson

The Langholm Moor Demonstration Project (LMDP)* aims to resolve the conflict between red grouse shooting interests and the conservation of raptors. It builds on the Joint Raptor Study (JRS) of 1992-1997 whose principal study site was Langholm Moor, and which showed for the first time the circumstances under which raptor populations constrained driven grouse shooting.

The new, 10-year…

• Scotland must keep its eyes on the prize of truly sustainable fishing

Scotland must keep its eyes on the prize of truly sustainable fishing 

We are at a critical turning point for fisheries management in Scotland, but you’d be forgiven for missing that fact. When the end -of -year fisheries negotiations in Brussels concluded in the usual late night scramble, there was the predictable surge of press releases from all quarters - Governments claiming victory for ‘their’ fishermen,…

• Has the environment fallen off the political agenda?

Has the environment fallen off the political agenda?

Has either of our governments forgotten the environment?  At Holyrood, Salmond, Davidson and Lamont scarcely give it a mention. At Westminster it sometimes seems to have disappeared completely from the agenda of Cameron, Miliband and Clegg.

Whilst most of the decisions that impact on the well-being of nature are taken at the Scottish Parliament, Westminster still…

• Why driven grouse moors should be effectively regulated in Scotland

RSPB Scotland calls for the licensing of driven grouse moors

Hen harrier by Mark Hamblin (RSPB-images.com)

Birds of prey have been given full protection by the law in Scotland for many decades. There is now a significant body of peer-reviewed scientific evidence; alongside many reported cases of illegal killing of birds of prey; and documented evidence of vacant traditional territories of key raptor species; to show…

• What the National Planning Framework means for nature in Scotland

What the National Planning Framework means for nature in Scotland

Last Monday, Scottish Ministers published the third National Planning Framework for Scotland (NPF3) and a new version of Scottish Planning Policy (SPP).  You can find both the NPF3 and the SPP here: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/planning/NPF3-SPP-Review This could be seen as a dull subject- it’s not, especially if you care about…

• Cleaner and greener farming?

Cleaner and greener farming?

Yellow flag iris and machair on North Uist. Photo by Genevieve Leaper.

What to make of last week’s decisions on CAP implementation in Scotland? That’s decisions about how to spend £4.2 billion of taxpayers money, by the way[1].

In his statement to Parliament, Cabinet Secretary, Richard Lochhead said, “The CAP must support productive agriculture. But it must also…

• Connecting more children with nature in Glasgow

Connecting more children with nature in Glasgow

What’s your first memory of the outdoors? I remember grasshoppers covering a picnic blanket as we sat in a meadow! Later when I was 8 or 9, I used to hunt for birds nests and I am sorry to admit I took the odd egg, but even more importantly I can remember finding a  chiff-chaffs nest (I was 11), and looking at the tiny egg, and putting it back into the domed nest…

• Better farming regulation not less

Better farming regulation not less

Farming, like most sectors, is subject to a wide range of rules and regulations but in recent years the industry has made the charge that it is subject to too much ‘red tape and bureaucracy’. In Scotland, this led to the Government asking Brian Pack OBE to conduct an independent review. The ‘Doing Better Initiative to Reduce Red Tape in Agriculture’ recently produced an …

• Giving nature a home in the Firth of Forth

The sea. Perhaps it’s the juxtaposition between its great power and its unequivocal beauty, but there is something about the sea that captivates the mind. Or at least my mind. It is full of special places, which are home to the most amazing variety of creatures, perfectly adapted to their environment. It also offers great experiences. Gannets plunging into the waves as they hunt for fish-an amazing sight that can be…

• Dredging is not the panacea for flooding problems

View of RSPB Insh Marshes, a natural floodplain.

It would be difficult not to be aware of the floods south of the border with the devastation dominating the headlines and grabbing much political attention. Scotland may seem to have escaped relatively lightly but the distressing consequences of flooding will be fresh in the minds of the people of Comrie and parts of Dumfries & Galloway, which have experienced their…

• The year of the fish?

The annual horse-trade of fish stocks, where European fisheries ministers argue over how long and how hard vessels can fish, was concluded in December. Media attention focussed on the reaction of fishermen’s representatives and the impact on the Scottish fleet. Few commentators, and even fewer journalists asked if the deal was sustainable, and followed the advice of the fisheries scientists. But in Scotland at least it…

• Sustainable wildlife friendly farming is top of my Christmas wish list

The festive season is fast approaching and thoughts turn inevitably to Christmas wish lists and the gifts we’d like to buy for our loved ones. Children everywhere are penning, texting and maybe even tweeting their most wanted lists to Santa, as anxious parents examine their bank accounts and decide what might make it down the chimney.

Politicians don’t often join the Christmas pageant and don a red suit but they…

• The Wall- and the need to crash through it for the sake of our seabirds

This year we are sandwiched between two great sporting events in Britain; The London Olympics of 2012 and the Glasgow Commonwealth games in 2014.

The memories that stay with me from sporting events like the Olympics and previous Commonwealth events are the energy and enthusiasm of the crowd, the look on the athletes’ faces when they cross the finish line. It’s an exhausted expression which tells its own story of the…