• Maintaining wildlife friendly farming post Brexit

As the Brexit debate unfolds, some clarity at a UK level has been provided by the Chancellor, Phillip Hammond, on the short-term funding available to support farming and rural investment, including that for conservation management. The RSPB believes public funding should support the delivery of public goods or benefits, such as wildlife, woodlands and wetlands, clean rivers and carbon storage.

Leaving the EU will mean…

• All change in Scottish forestry

Commercial forestry plantation of pine and larch by Andy Hay (rspb-images.com)

Earlier this week I wrote about RSPB Scotland’s vision for forestry and the opportunities presented by Brexit to ensure that nature gets the best deal from future policy in this area. Whilst the bigger European changes are playing out, the Scottish Government is continuing to seek to make changes to the way forestry operates in Scotland…

• Our vision for Scottish forestry

Red squirrel by Ben Andrew (rspb-images.com)

It’s an interesting time in the world of forestry, with a number of changes underway. Forestry is an important industry in Scotland, supporting jobs and investment in our rural areas. Home grown timber offers sustainable opportunities in construction, and more besides. Woodlands also provide valuable habitat for some of our most iconic species such as capercaillie and red…

• A chance to give nature a bigger and better home on the Solway Firth – Mersehead appeal

RSPB Scotland Mersehead by Andy Hay (rspb-images.com)

Today we are launching an appeal to supporters to raise funds for an important piece of land on the Solway Firth.  Our reserve at Mersehead is already famous for its wintering geese and ducks, breeding waders like lapwing and its colourful array of farmland birds including yellowhammers and tree sparrows.  And it has a spectacular setting, with easy access trails…

• What comes after CAP?

Of all the areas of life that will be affected by Brexit, agriculture is unlikely to be the one that generates the most headlines. But it is vitally important. Not just for the food it produces but for the much wider range of wildlife, landscape and cultural benefits that agricultural land management delivers. Or should deliver.

Formal negotiations to leave the EU have not yet begun. Meanwhile, the Scottish Government…

• Raise a glass to black grouse

The RSPB’s conservation projects are often carried out in partnership with a number of fantastic organisations and this extends to our corporate partners who support and sometimes fund key areas of our work.

We’re particularly proud of the partnership between RSPB Scotland and The Famous Grouse which I’m delighted to announce has now raised over £600,000 to support black grouse conservation since its establishment…

• Getting ready for Birdfair

Last week I encouraged everyone to come along to Birdfair, hosted each year in August at the famous Rutland Water Nature reserve, run by our partner the Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust. Directions to Birdfair can be found here.

I am confident you will want enjoy every bit of Birdfair, and will want to participate in the many discussions, and see what the many wildlife organisations who attend have to…

• Join the RSPB at this year's Birdfair

In one month's time tens of thousands of birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts will be flocking to Birdfair, the largest gathering of nature and bird enthusiasts in the world. It is also a meeting place for many wildlife focussed NGOs and all of the outdoor and nature associated industries – from optics and cameras, to wildlife artists, tour companies and clothing. This is truly the place to be in mid August!…

• Letter to Cabinet Secretary for Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform

RSPB Scotland has always believed that, because nature transcends national boundaries, it needs cross-border co-operation to protect it and a common set of international standards that enable it to thrive. Regardless of the future governance options or constitutional debates that may arise in Scotland following the EU referendum, RSPB Scotland will continue to campaign for the best standards of environmental legislation…

• Investing in Our Countryside

Wildlife across Scotland continues to change, with serious long term declines now evident. So how do we have a greater positive impact on the fortunes of our species at a time when less government support is available? Protected areas for example have been essential to target corncrake recovery and blanket bog restoration in Scotland, but they’re not enough on their own to prevent wildlife declines. What’s more, other…

• How did nature do in the elections?

The election results are in and the new MSPs are gathering in Holyrood. How did nature and the environment do? They didn’t grab the headlines, but in numerous hustings across Scotland organised by RSPB Scotland, Environment Link and our partners, candidates were put through their paces. The Hustings were well attended, and unfailingly polite and respectful. But passions did shine through on occasion.

One of nature…

• Nature knows no boundaries

I had the pleasure of visiting our Mersehead nature reserve last week, where spring is in the air and we were lucky enough to spot the first handful of migrant birds that have made it back to our shores for the summer, including swallows and chiffchaff. Combined with the fresh burst of green on the trees, the displaying lapwings and buzz of pollinators in the air the day left me with a zeal for the summer ahead, but…

• Langholm Moor Demonstration Project Guest Blog

There has been some recent speculation in the media about the future of the Langholm Moor Demonstration Project (LMDP), and the results achieved to date. There is no doubt that restoring a large, relatively isolated ‘island’ moor has been a challenge, but to dismiss what has been achieved as a ‘failure’, as has occurred in some quarters, is wide of the mark,

Accordingly, I offered the Directors…

• Please be a voice for nature in the run up to the Scottish Elections

Egret feathers in a hat (photo credit: RSPB, rspb-images.com)

Over 120 years ago, our organisation came into existence when sixteen feisty Victorian ladies campaigned against the killing of exotic birds to trim fashionable hats. Their dedication and hard campaigning eventually resulted in the passing of the Importation of Plumage (Prohibition) Bill in Parliament, and we haven’t stopped since as the charity went on…

• EU moves to put a halt to seabird bycatch

Seabirds are amazingly adapted to some of the harshest environments on earth, facing gales, huge seas and freezing temperatures. Some migrate vast distances, following currents and shoals of fish, or even plankton blooms. They fascinate us, and the more we discover the more we are intrigued by their strategies to survive and prosper. But one thing they cannot escape is our exploitation of the seas, and our thirst for…

• RSPB Scotland and renewable energy

Renewable energy remains well supported in Scotland, with 70% of people wanting to see more renewables such as wind, solar and wave according to a poll published last week.

At RSPB Scotland, we certainly share this view; we need more well-sited renewable energy to protect people and nature alike from the uncertainty and impacts caused by climate change. With worrying statistics like an 87 per cent decline in kittiwakes…

• The power of volunteering

The power of volunteering

Volunteers fencing at Insh Marshes (Andy Hay, rspb-images.com)

Volunteers are a crucial part of RSPB Scotland, allowing us to deliver our day to day conservation helping to protect our country’s wonderful wildlife and habitats. But more than that, charities like the RSPB were founded by volunteers, and throughout our long history the role of volunteers, from every walk of life, age and background…

• How can we make our money and consumer choices do more for nature?

This winter has provided us with stark reminders of how important our relationship with the natural world is, not least the impact of floods affecting thousands across Scotland. Thankfully, we can do a lot to increase our ‘resilience’ to these events, by working with nature and harnessing what it can do for the rest of us.

Planting native trees upstream of towns to slow the runoff of water, creating coastal…

• Where next for Scottish farming?

Farming is, and always has been, a regular theme in my working life. Whether I’m meeting those who lead Scotland’s National Farmers Union or challenging politicians and senior civil servants on the decisions they make on agriculture policy, wildlife friendly farming is at the heart of those conversations. And I proudly admit, I like being out on a farm with practical land managers who share my enthusiasm for wildlife…

• Marine Spatial Planning in Scotland – a stock take

Marine Spatial Planning in Scotland – a stock take

In recent years Scottish Government has progressed leaps and bounds towards meeting their vision for Scotland’s seas that are ‘clean, healthy, safe, productive, biologically diverse marine and coastal environments, managed to meet the long term needs of nature and people.’ Our first National Marine Plan and the designation of 33 new Marine Protected…

• Ask Rory to #DefendNature and keep the path to conservation clear

Ask Rory to #DefendNature and keep the path to conservation clear

When you can’t see clearly where you are going everything gets much slower and more difficult. The recent stormy weather is a reminder of this in action - whilst driving to work last week the rain was so heavy that it was difficult to make out the car just a few metres ahead of me and this brought to mind what the situation would be like if the EU Nature…

• Why I’m Marching

When I join the thousands of people on the Meadows in Edinburgh this Saturday, we will all be marching to press the case for firm global action on the climate of our shared world. I hope to be joined by my daughter and her one month old son, my grandson. It‘s for his future we will be banding together. But I want him to grow up in a world that has space for wildlife too.

In Scotland we are lucky that we…

• Forsinard – good news for wildlife, carbon and people

Forsinard – good news for wildlife, carbon and people

Recently I visited RSPB Scotland’s Forsinard Flows Reserve in the far north of Scotland and saw at first hand the difference we’re making for wildlife, local people and our efforts to combat climate change.

As I stood at the top of the fantastic new observation tower and chatted to visitors, I got a real sense of the scale of what is being achieved…

• A case of conservation

A case of conservation

I enjoy a glass of wine and love the landscapes where wine is produced. But it takes imagination to combine this with raising funds for the migratory birds – ‘our’ birds – that pass through the Iberian Peninsula, en route to their winter quarters in West Africa and beyond.

Inspired by the conservation of our migratory birds Cockburn’s of Leith are donating 20% from cases…

• The Power of Partnerships

The Power of Partnerships

Peregrine (Ben Hall, rspb-images.com)

It often seems that all we hear about the state of wildlife populations are stories of decline and disappearance. While we know that nature is indeed in trouble and we know there is much to do to stop the loss of biodiversity across the world, there are projects and people who really do give us cause for hope and reasons to celebrate.

The State of the…