For part 2 of our Meet the Team series - say hello to Christina who, alongside Brad, is one of our two Community Engagement and Conservation Interns: 

My name’s Christina, I am 29 years old and a single parent from Kent. I recently graduated from university after studying Animal conservation for 3 years.

My passion for conservation began during my childhood; I would watch documentaries, go on camping trips/staycations with my parents and hunt for slow worms in the local greenspace. During my time at college, I learnt that conservation cannot work without the involvement of local communities and coexistence between these communities and nature.

After I finished Uni I decided I wanted to find a way to help try to engage the members of public that are not connected to conservation; this internship seemed to be the perfect role to begin my journey. I came across the online role advert at the last minute but fortunately I was just in time with my application!

Getting a chance to work for the RSPB is such a great opportunity, as they are so well established as an international science-led conservation organisation. I feel very grateful for this opportunity. The project itself is a great way for me to put theory into practice (as I can see first-hand how important ecosystem services are), boost confidence, meet new people, learn new skills and hopefully play a part in helping improve the woodland.

So far, I have carried out eDNA sampling of soil and water, taken kids on a bug hunt, helped make TWO bundle-makeers and put them to use creating bundles with volunteers that will be used to build our dams; I have been sweaty, covered in twigs/dirt and have got my boots soaked but have enjoyed every minute! I am looking forward to making the dams, future events and the end results of the project.

Parents Comment Children
No Data