• The Big Garden Birdwatch by numbers

We're counting down the days until this year's Big Garden Birdwatch – the world's largest garden wildlife survey. You can take part between 26th–28th January 2019 by counting the birds in your garden and letting us know what you saw. Over the last 40 years we've learnt a lot from the data you've sent us. Take a look at some of our top stats...
    • 3 Jan 2019
  • Photo of the Week: Big bird!

What's better than one bird? Hundreds of birds! What's better than hundreds of birds? Thousands of birds! And what's better than thousands of birds? Thousands of birds shaped as one bird! This stunning photo of a knot murmuration was taken at our Snettisham reserve on the North Norfolk coast back in early November, by Nature's Home reader Dave Harrington.

A giant bird army assembles! (photo courtesy of…

• 28 Dec 2018
  • Your guide to the Big Garden Birdwatch

The Big Garden Birdwatch is a nationwide RSPB citizen science project that anyone can join, and it’s on its way. As the Big Garden Birdwatch approaches, will be bringing you everything you need to know to prepare for the event.
    • 27 Dec 2018
  • Photo of the Week: Landing Spot

More usually seen hovering over a motorway verge with eyes focused on its latest prey, kestrels are one of our most popular birds of prey despite recent declines in their population. So it's particularly nice to see one this close up, the beautiful spotted underside of its wings and breast and fanned tail clearly in view, as it comes in to land on an old bit of wood, eyes focused not on prey, but the landing spot.

• 21 Dec 2018
  • What do waders eat?

In the winter, the UK is home to vast numbers of resident and visiting waders. They flock to our shores, lasting out the water on our coastlines, but why? RSPB President Miranda Krestovnikoff shares what waders eat.
    • 20 Dec 2018
  • Explore a miniature, magical world: mosses and lichens

Wildlife can be thinner on the ground this time of year - or so it might seem.

Insects are few and far between and even birds are mainly quiet, localised and harder to pin down. This is certainly the case away from our bustling wetlands with woodlands, hedgerows and fields seeming eerily quiet at times.

However, this is the time to slow things down and zoom in on a world that’s easy to overlook among the riches of spring…

• 17 Dec 2018
  • Fill ya beaks!

As the weather gets colder, it's important to keep your bird feeders stocked up. Especially if your garden birds are anything like this willow tit, who appears to want to fit as many sunflower seeds in its beak as possible!  

And to think they call me greedy down at the local birdbath (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Barry Thomas)

Many thanks to Barry Thomas for this picture of a hungry willow tit. Barry…

• 14 Dec 2018
  • Inside your January issue of Nature's Home

Christmas is coming, and it feels fantastic to have just sent our next issue to the printers’ - the last one of the year.  As the festivities fade, RSPB members will have a brand-new January issue of Nature’s Home to get stuck into &...
    • 13 Dec 2018
  • Bird of the month: the waxwing

Welcome to the first in our series of blogs on seasonal species to look out for, with a few of our best tips for success thrown in. We’re kicking off with one of the very best birds winter has to offer: the wonderful waxwing.

This is one of those birds that has it all. It looks stunning with a punky crest, pink-hued plumage and, depending on age and sex, a beautiful combo of waxy-red, yellow and white on its wings…

• 10 Dec 2018
  • Photo of the week: At the end of the rainbow

For many, finding the end of a rainbow is but a dream involving the discovery of a pot of gold, or perhaps a leprechaun, or maybe even both! (hey no one said I couldn't do clichés). But for Nature's Home reader Norman Marshall, imagine his surprise on finding that the end of a rainbow actually features...a herring gull!
    Norman may have been disappointed when he found a gull rather the gold he was promised…
    • 7 Dec 2018
  • My birdless birdwatch: How to encourage birds to your garden

The beginners struggle to get birds to your feeders is, for some, a tricky one. I thought that I had it nailed in early January of this year when the week before the Big Garden Birdwatch I had four beautiful jays ground-feeding in my garden, Mr & Mrs blackbird enjoying the veg patches, and some lovely blue tits on the feeder. One week later and all I could muster for the big weekend was two collared doves trying to…

• 3 Dec 2018
  • Photo of the Week: Fights, Flights and Fishing Rights

Of all the bird species captured on cam' by our readers, kingfishers are undoubtedly one of the most popular. Brightly coloured, beautifully marked and often sitting perfectly still as they target their aquatic prey, they are perfectly suited to photography, exuding an air of regal superiority (hence the name?) and an almost serene calmness.

Unless you're these two, who appear to be a having a rather heated discussion…

• 30 Nov 2018
  • Bird migration terms and their meanings

Feather's ruffled by bird migration jargon? Take a look at our handy glossary of bird migration terms.
    • 29 Nov 2018
  • My Big Garden Birdwatch wish list

I have something in common with Big Garden Birdwatch – we both turn 40 in 2019. A little bit of maths tells me I've taken part in 25 of the counts, but I know some people who have done every one since 1979! To celebrate this special anniversary Birdwatch, I’ve put together my Christmas wish list - the birds I’d most like to see in my garden on the Birdwatch. 

Bramblings are here in the UK in good numbers…

• 26 Nov 2018
  • Photo of the week: Gold, frankincense and moult

I think many of you would agree that this week has gotten a little Christmas heavy with the launch of the Christmas John Lewis advert (I didn't cry! You cried!) and the Black Friday madness.

But there is one bird that couldn't be more excited. In fact this black-tailed godwit seems to be so excited about Christmas that they've held onto their red summer plumage seeing it fit for the spirit of Noël. Santa would be…

• 23 Nov 2018
  • How to see winter migrants in the city

It's not just in countryside and on coasts where you can see winter's new arrivals, there's plenty to be seen in cities, too. In the latest issue of Nature's Home, our columnist David Lindo shares how to see winter birds in your town or city.
    • 21 Nov 2018
  • Calls in the night – what’s flying over your garden?

Have you ever wondered what goes on after dark in your garden? What about what goes on over your garden?

As I walked out to my car on Friday night for a trip to the cinema, an unmistakable call sounded out twice as a bird flew over. It was a sound I associate with visits to the coast and especially muddy coastal marshes or estuaries. It was the call of a dunlin – one of several species of wader that are  now stacking…

• 19 Nov 2018
  • Photo of the Week: Twist of Slime?

This week our brilliant volunteer, Ben Hide, picked this brilliant photo and tells us why.

OK, so this photo probably isn’t going to win any awards for cuteness or make you go “awwww” but it seemed such a unique and interesting occurrence that I had to select it as photo of the week. Sent in by Karen Andrews, the photo was taken in Scarfskerry – the most northerly settlement in mainland Great Britain, it shows two leopard…

• 16 Nov 2018
  • 8 wild migration myths

For hundreds of years we've marvelled at bird migration, observing the seasons change around us as birds arrive and depart. Today we know where they go when they leave our shores, but that wasn't always the case. Over the years, humans have had some pretty strange ideas about bird migration. Here are our top eight wild migration myths... in order of weirdness.

8. Windbreakers

Geese, such as these brent geese,…

• 15 Nov 2018
  • Your guide to bird migration

As the seasons change, birds all over the planet are on the move. Whether it’s to get to their preferred breeding grounds, to find more food or to seek out a warmer or colder climates, many species travel throughout the year. Some species travel thousands of miles to different climates, while others shift just a few miles. Read on to learn everything you need to know about migration.

Birds migrate for food, shelter…

• 7 Nov 2018
  • The rarities winging their way to the UK this winter

Every winter is different here in the UK. Sometimes, it’s a mild and wet winter and sometimes it’s a cold and crisp one. Sometimes it switches between the two with regularity.

For nature-lovers, and particularly birders, winters can be characterised by which migrant birds arrive in good numbers.

Every November, I like to make a prediction, based on reports of certain birds, their numbers and where they’ve…

• 5 Nov 2018
  • Nature's Home Photo of the Week: On reflection...

What's better than an elegant and beautiful yellow, grey and black grey wagtail?

Two of them!

Nature's Home reader Jim Glover says: "Thought you may like to see this grey wagtail (and its reflection) I captured catching insects while I was sitting quietly adjacent to an area of water at Warnham Local Nature Reserve in October. It was a pleasure to watch."

I bet it was - thanks very much for sharing…

• 2 Nov 2018
  • How do insects survive winter?

In winter a lot of our wildlife starts to disappear. Many mammals hibernate, some birds migrate, and the butterflies and dragonflies we saw all summer are gone. But where?

In the current issue of Nature's Home, entomologist Dr Ross Piper addresses this question. Most insects, he tells us, synchronise their activity with the warmer weather – their ability to move, feed and reproduce is governed by the ambient temperature…

• 1 Nov 2018
  • The fungi season starts here

Look on the ground under and near beech trees for the unmistakable magpie inkcap (image cMark Ward)

Worth waiting for
    The recent rain plus the dewy mornings have meant that the fungi season has really kicked off in most places now: a little later than usual, but well worth the wait!

You should be able to find 20+ species on a walk around a good mixed woodland in October. The secret is to look on, below and near as many…

• 29 Oct 2018
  • Photo of the week: "You looking at me?"

It's time to say goodbye to our summer visitors as they head to Africa and welcome in the Arctic migrants, so for one last hurrah, I've selected Nature's Home reader Tony Rayner's intimate shot of a house martin peering out of its mud cup nest for this week's Photo of the Week.

Wouldn't it be great to know where this bird is now?

• 26 Oct 2018